Hayabusa Owners Group

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50mph, in a wheelchair

DAB

Registered
Wheelchair user taken on 50-mph ride
Chair becomes lodged on semitrailer's grille, travels 4 miles on highway
The Associated Press

PAW PAW, Mich. - A man was taken on a wild ride when his wheelchair became lodged in the grille of a semitrailer and was accidentally pushed down a highway for four miles at about 50 mph, authorities said.

The 21-year-old man, whose name was not released, was unharmed but was taken to a hospital as a precaution. He had been secured to his wheelchair by a seat belt.

“The man spilled his soda pop, but he wasn’t upset,†said Sgt. Kathy Morton of the Michigan State Police.

About 4 p.m. Wednesday, a caller told police dispatchers, “You are not going to believe this: There is a semi truck pushing a guy in a wheelchair on Red Arrow Highway,†state police said in a release.

Prank call?
Authorities initially wondered whether the report was a prank call until others called with similar reports.

Officers stopped the truck — wheelchair still attached — at a trucking company. The driver didn’t believe officers until he stepped from his cab and saw for himself.

“When he saw us, he was like, ’What’s going on?â€â€™ Morton said.

An investigation revealed the man in the wheelchair had pulled in front of the truck at a gas station and it somehow became lodged by its handles to the front grille.

Talk about a wild ride!
SHOCKED.gif

i think i would have spilled more than my soda pop if that had been me...that kid must have been on some powerful tranquilizers
beerchug.gif

Saw that this morning on MSN.com - had a pic of the kid.

He's damn lucky the chair's wheels held up. Catch a decent sized pothole, bend the wheel, and all of a sudden everything ends up under the tractor.

Glad he is OK!

Wow!

Now, where the pics!

Ya know - this could be good advertising for the wheelchair manufacturer - good testament to how well they hold up!
laugh.gif

(omslaw @ Jun. 07 2007,13:24) Wow!

Now, where the pics!

Ya know - this could be good advertising for the wheelchair manufacturer - good testament to how well they hold up!  
laugh.gif
Here you go Omar!

Now that I think about it - it's also a good thing the chair did not become dislodged at some point during the trip.......

Attachments

• 070607_wheelchair_hmed_10a.hmedium
    20.7 KB · Views: 119
lurk.gif
Good thing he didn't get stuck to a Busa
SHOCKED.gif

Glad the dude's OK!

Ya know - with it going down the road - it would have been interesting to see that... I bet it would have looked like the wheelchair was pulling the truck!

that's one lucky kid. glad to hear it worked out. I know he shat his pants. I would have......

Top Bottom