Any short busa riders under 6feet?

OB_wilf

Registered
I was just wondering if there are many small guys out there who ride the busa and how does it feel? do u guys have any extra addons to the bike to make it better?

My first post, although i've been reading your threads. At 4' 10" I'm shorter than most of the women who ride Busas.

I can run the bike OK at a stop, although the wind can be a problem.

I have screwed large rubbers onto my pegs and bent up the brake and shifter with a pipe wrench.

I also wear elevator-type motorcycle boots that make my legs 2.5" longer.

Also, I ride on a very wide drag slick all the time, so that I don't have to put my foot down if the pavement is flat and it's not windy. I can just balance there at the red lights if I don't move too much.

There are advantages to being a smaller person, though. I am doing 9.85s at 144, stock.

The bars are hard to reach, although I usually manage to get there before closing time hehe :).

And all my suspension settings are on full soft settings...even so I get my glasses knocked off the bridge of my nose on practically every bump.

Also, I get excellent fuel mileage.

Riding, as you well know, is a dangerous feat. I hope that anyone whom rides any bike of which they are unable to touch both feet to the ground when stopped, are super focused in their endeavor. I know of a person whom can not stradle both feet to the ground when riding his 'busa. He fell coming out the line in 1st at a signal light. This is not to say he was not 100% when gearing up. The possibility to make mistakes is that much more available to those whom are less prepared than they should be. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!! That is what makes you safe. Even then nothing is sure.

Excellent topic Suzuki 2000!

I'm quite short at only 6', but am nevertheless able to operate all the controls quite conveniently, with no modifications at all.

My evil twin Mike, though, has quite a hard time, as you can tell from his post above.

We have a Member here, Angelle, who, due to her lack of stature, is barely able to manage her bike at all.

By and large though, the Busa is a very short-friendly machine.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 08 September 1999).]

Hey I,m inseam challenged as well, but I have no trouble riding my Busa. Except backing up, then I have to get off the bike.
Suiciderider is right on about being 100% all the time, as a small misstep is all it takes, recovery is alot harder if you can,t put both feet on the ground. I pay special attention to inclines,uneven surfaces etc.
Been lucky so far with 4600 miles. Bikes been trouble free too, I just love this thing

I am 5'7" and have no trouble ridding the bike. I can barrly tippy toe with both feet when stopped. When I come to a light I put both toes to the gound and then shift my weight to one foot, like a kickstand, after I have stopped. When mounting the beast, I put my hands on the grips, put the front brake on and put my weight on the grips as if I were trying to push the bike. Now I just throw a leg over and I am on. I had a friend who is 1" taller than me set on it and asked how I ride it. I told him the Busa is not like the flinstones car, after you get going, no pusshing needed, unlike the compitition. HAHA Hope this helps.

I am 5'7" and I don't have any problems, until I am on uneven roads. The balls of both feet are always planted firmly on the ground at stops. I was tempted to lower mine but didn't want to fool with the suspension.

soja1

i'm also 5'7" tall...
as most of you know my busa is slammed 2".
so when i'm at a stop my feet are fully planted on the ground and my legs are bent
slighty.
i can tell people like mike sains a few thing that he can do to lower his bike and get the same performance as it would be when it's at stock level.
the gen-mar risers are a great thing for short people on the busa. you have so much more control over bike and alot more comfort.
i don't feel like my hieght is a disadvantage in any way. i have larger friends that are constantly asking me to race thier bike or bikes because of my hieght and wieght advantage over them.
i'm a street racer that likes to dragrace and in my opinion a good street racer will beat a good dragracer any day.
dragracers set themselfs up for nearly the same elements every time as where a street racer has to adjust to differant ones all the time. also a street racer spends alot more time on his ride and knows it better.

I'm 5'9" but don't have a problem getting to the ground with everything stock (heheh, only modification is a tank bra). I have a pair of SIDI Sympatex boots, I think they help out with the sure footing over the high tops I was using before.

Backing up does get interesting though, like klrbrd said. I don't have to get off the bike, but toss in even the slightest include to back up, and I start having to recite the "Little Engine That Could" theme chant.

Still love it though. ;)

I ride 3rd gen busa. It's heavy but i can tip toe and i always plant my left leg flat while stopping. I had a gen 1 before this which was lowered. I regretted lowering it. Now i just practice with the stock height and I'm getting better at handling

Just a thought on planning to use one side, like the left, on every stop. I am taller and plant squarely but still am constantly on the lookout and have innate fear of slipping down if I land on a wet, painted area or oil spot or such. I try to prepare to quickly switch to either side if the conditions dictate.

Agree. Getting both feet down is nice, but I personally don't think it's a requirment. Coming off dirt-bikes and uneven surfaces, I would say balance is primary. I watched a short guy on Valkaryie nail an off-camber stop / start the other day. Whoever you are brother, that was awesome.

I’m 5’7” and have no problems with it. It’s a lot heavier than a 1000 so to me; stop and go traffic is easier on a 1000 but the Busa rides way better. Also pushing it around the garage and onto a trailer is noticeably harder but I’m under 180 lbs. Someone over 200 lbs probably doesn’t notice the weight as much as me.

After lot of back and forth, I got the Daytona Max Sports GTX which gives me 6 cm lift and I also added extra insole to it. Now I can not only flat foot but also have bend in my knees at stops. I feel lot more confident riding to work and back. I have almost stopped using my car except for groceries and taking my dogs to the park. I noticed that I covered about 1000 miles in less than a month since I got the shoes. For first couple of days, changing gears was bit awkward because of thick sole but I have gotten used to it now.
Thanks for all the suggestions and have a nice one y'all

Back