Braking issue

ksizem12

Registered
Hello all I’m hoping someone can help. I changed my back tire out and now I have no rear brake. It’s almost as if the piston is not backing off of the caliper. I’ve bled the brakes to verify fluid and pressure but still no luck only when I first start out I have light brakes but after a couple miles my pedal is gone. I literally have to stand on the rear brake to get a little bit of slow down. Also under hard braking with my fro t break I’m getting a front end bounce or shutter. Also happens sometimes when I’m in first with higher rpm’s and let off but not as much as with the brakes. Please help.

Welcome,

It sounds like either a seized brake piston or the pads are jammed, or the pad sliders are seized.....

I'd be taking off the caliper and checking those things. Take the pads out and lube the sliders too...

I take it they worked fine before you took off and replaced the back tire?

Welcome,

It sounds like either a seized brake piston or the pads are jammed, or the pad sliders are seized.....

I'd be taking off the caliper and checking those things. Take the pads out and lube the sliders too...

I take it they worked fine before you took off and replaced the back tire?
Yes worked fine before tire change. The front brake issue has been there for a little while. Only happen when I use front brake hard when going 45+. I press it and the front shutters hard until I get slow enough it goes away. Rotors don’t appear to be warped

Yes worked fine before tire change. The front brake issue has been there for a little while. Only happen when I use front brake hard when going 45+. I press it and the front shutters hard until I get slow enough it goes away. Rotors don’t appear to be warped
What year of bike do you have? I should have asked this first....

When was the last time the front brakes were serviced....it sounds like the front brake pad sliders are partially seized.....they get caked with brake dust and get sticky...

You can't look at a rotor and tell if it's warped, you need to mount a dial indicator to a wheel balancing stand, and check for any run out on the wheel and discs.
Make sure none of the rotor buttons are stuck.
Dirty calipers, like said above, can also cause brake shudder.
However, it sounds as if you could benefit from a brake overhaul.
New lines, stainless steel, if you don't already, rebuild both master cylinders, rebuild all 3 calipers, and replace the front rotors if need be, they are maintenance items, and they do wear out.
If you need new rotors, new pads are highly recomended at the same time, so only brake pad material gets imbedded into the new rotor, not bits or glazing on the pads from the old rotors, as brake pads bite metal discs well, but they bite metal discs with properly imbedded pad material better(series of 3 emergency stops from 60+mph to correctly 'bed' brakes).
Also, I would check my suspension set up, front And rear.
Wheel bearings and steering neck bearings can also cause shakes and shudder, so be sure to check them as well.
Too tight of a chain can cause a front end shudder(yes, you read that right), as if the rear dances from limited travel, it will easily upset an incorrectly, and in some cases, a correctly set front suspension.

Your working rear brake before the tire change and not after, could very well be a bad brake line.
I have seen this personally, and on several occasions.
The line is moved about, and twisted to a position that eventually cracks and opens a weak spot in one of the layers of the line, letting air in.
This can also happen but you cannot visually see any fluid leaks, as only a very small amount of air is finding it's way in.
If so, it's just another sign that your brakes need maintenance.

What year of bike do you have? I should have asked this first....

When was the last time the front brakes were serviced....it sounds like the front brake pad sliders are partially seized.....they get caked with brake dust and get sticky...
It’s an 07 busa. Front brakes only have problems when pressing them I’ll get the shudder till I get slow enough it goes away . Rear brakes are the ones I’m getting no pedal. If I press the pedal stopped and off the bike I can see the caliper trying to close on the rotor but doesn’t seem to really open back up to much. When I try to back my bike up it seems to be harder to push now since I’ve put on the new tire. Again making me this rear might be seized. But I don’t think the issue on the front is the same cuz I have no problem with releasing just the shutter when braking at higher speed

It’s an 07 busa. Front brakes only have problems when pressing them I’ll get the shudder till I get slow enough it goes away . Rear brakes are the ones I’m getting no pedal. If I press the pedal stopped and off the bike I can see the caliper trying to close on the rotor but doesn’t seem to really open back up to much. When I try to back my bike up it seems to be harder to push now since I’ve put on the new tire. Again making me this rear might be seized. But I don’t think the issue on the front is the same cuz I have no problem with releasing just the shutter when braking at higher speed
There are a few things that will cause the shudder on the front....this almost sounds like a slightly warped disc.

As for the rear, it will be worth your trouble to take the caliper off and clean all the pad sliders first...if that doesn't help (it's an easy and cheap check), you might have a slightly seized piston....rear brakes are often over-looked and neglected on most bikes.

Barring all that, you would be best served to rebuild the rear caliper...it's a pretty easy thing to do

Queue in @Berlin Germany who is our resident expert and advocate of brake caliper rebuilds and maintenance....

There are a few things that will cause the shudder on the front....this almost sounds like a slightly warped disc.

As for the rear, it will be worth your trouble to take the caliper off and clean all the pad sliders first...if that doesn't help (it's an easy and cheap check), you might have a slightly seized piston....rear brakes are often over-looked and neglected on most bikes.

Barring all that, you would be best served to rebuild the rear caliper...it's a pretty easy thing to do

Queue in @Berlin Germany who is our resident expert and advocate of brake caliper rebuilds and maintenance....
Thanks I will definitely do that. I run a service department so I feel like with a little instruction I should be able to figure out the rebuild. That’s kind of what I was thinking but cars is my expertise not bikes so wanted some opinions. Someone did say the chain may be to tight and I just checked does seem to be a bit snug so I’ll bring it in a little and see if it helps

Thanks I will definitely do that. I run a service department so I feel like with a little instruction I should be able to figure out the rebuild. That’s kind of what I was thinking but cars is my expertise not bikes so wanted some opinions. Someone did say the chain may be to tight and I just checked does seem to be a bit snug so I’ll bring it in a little and see if it helps
The tightness of the chain will have nothing to do with your bake issue..

I personally think it needs a little love....

If your front end was shuddering under low speed stops it could also be your steering head bearings but is sound more like a warped disc....that can be checked at a bike shop for certainly in order to check that off the box.

In very rare instances the disc pins can get jammed up and cause the disc to be out of true...did you have the front tire off recently sometimes a whack on the disc can cause this....sometimes the pins/bobbins need to be cleaned...

If your front end was shuddering under low speed stops it could also be your steering head bearings but is sound more like a warped disc....that can be checked at a bike shop for certainly in order to check that off the box.

In very rare instances the disc pins can get jammed up and cause the disc to be out of true...did you have the front tire off recently sometimes a whack on the disc can cause this....sometimes the pins/bobbins need to be cleaned...
I was going to clean the pins as the next step and see how that did. That’s one thing I was thinking. Doing that now

I was going to clean the pins as the next step and see how that did. That’s one thing I was thinking. Doing that now
In the right (or wrong) conditions that braking shudder can cause you real problems and perhaps lead to dropping the bike if you aren't careful...

You are smart in getting that sorted out sooner rather than later....

In the right (or wrong) conditions that braking shudder can cause you real problems and perhaps lead to dropping the bike if you aren't careful...

You are smart in getting that sorted out sooner rather than later....
Tried cleaning out the front rotor. No luck. A couple of them seemed slightly stiff. Still no luck. Did nothing with the back brakes yet will keep you posted on those. I’m realizing this might have been an issue prior I just always use my back break rather than my fronts unless I was coming to a stop so I probably never noticed it may have been there before.

I respectfully say that the OP doesn't understand sportbike suspension and braking.
I said that the chain being too tight could also cause an issue, as it does need to be checked.
I agree that it sounds funny to hear that a chain could effect brakes too, and I know that you know an overtight chain limits the rear suspension travel, and if that happens, the rear end dances all over.
Couple that with an improperly set suspension to start with, and the front end can wander or vibrate on different road surfaces.
Had someone recently 'adjusted' the chain, and too tight, the resulting gremlins can confuse the unknowing rider.
Is this likely? No, but eliminate the simple things first.
The steering neck bearings or wheel bearings? Sure, another possibility.
So I just put those things out there as just that, possibilities, and for the next person that searches, finds this, and their new 'brakes' are still having an issue, so maybe this helps.
Personally...It sounds like the brakes are shot, and they need completely redone, which is also what I told the op.
You know I do brakes and suspension first, as a few of us here do...I just find it funny how so many others seem to neglect such important things
lol

I respectfully say that the OP doesn't understand sportbike suspension and braking.
I said that the chain being too tight could also cause an issue, as it does need to be checked.
I agree that it sounds funny to hear that a chain could effect brakes too, and I know that you know an overtight chain limits the rear suspension travel, and if that happens, the rear end dances all over.
Couple that with an improperly set suspension to start with, and the front end can wander or vibrate on different road surfaces.
Had someone recently 'adjusted' the chain, and too tight, the resulting gremlins can confuse the unknowing rider.
Is this likely? No, but eliminate the simple things first.
The steering neck bearings or wheel bearings? Sure, another possibility.
So I just put those things out there as just that, possibilities, and for the next person that searches, finds this, and their new 'brakes' are still having an issue, so maybe this helps.
Personally...It sounds like the brakes are shot, and they need completely redone, which is also what I told the op.
You know I do brakes and suspension first, as a few of us here do...I just find it funny how so many others seem to neglect such important things
lol
So update on rear brake issue. I’ve found when riding today if I start my bike I have no rear brake no matter how many time I press pressure doesn’t build. But I can ride above 45 and pump the rear brakes and they build up pressure and will work to stop and seem to function just fine until I stop do to long and the pedal goes dead again does that make sense?

So update on rear brake issue. I’ve found when riding today if I start my bike I have no rear brake no matter how many time I press pressure doesn’t build. But I can ride above 45 and pump the rear brakes and they build up pressure and will work to stop and seem to function just fine until I stop do to long and the pedal goes dead again does that make sense?

The only way that I think that could even be possible, is if the pinhole causing the air leak somewhere in the brakes is closing up once things get hot, temporarily allowing pressure to build from multiple pumps, as even with air in the line pressure will still build, at least to a point, possibly enough to give you a poorly functioning rear brake.
I would rebuild the master cylinder and caliper, and buy a new stainless steel rear brake line.
Brake maintenance is important.
That is also not throwing parts at a problem, as if one part of the system fails from age, then the others need the same attention.

With all due respect, I say is time to ask google for a good local mechanic and let them fix something as critical as brakes. Thats coming from someone that encourages DIYing everything from an oil change to an engine removal for transmission repairs.

Back