Busa Bash III

Vman- I was kicking around riding over to the Ashville area one of the days I'll be there. I was told there is a killer road somewhere off 26 south of Ashville. Do you have any idea what road they were referring to? think it was someone from MR Cycle who mentioned it, might have even been near their shop.

well *if* we got on the road by 7am, figure on 3.5hrs to Asheville.  How far is it from there to the gap?
Think it took me a little over an hour, towing my bike on the scenic route (19) which runs through Bryson City & Cherokee. It's not that far as the crow flies, but with the mountains and traffic it takes a little longer.

somehow I remember the drive last time took forever ... maybe we took the around our elbow route
rock.gif

anywho, if its only like 6hrs total then I'm way happy
smile.gif
get some lunch once we arrive, unload the bikes and haul anus
cool.gif
laugh.gif

74 is faster, I think. I wasn't in a hurry, not watching the clock. Maybe it was closer to two hours. Only like 50 miles from Maggie Valley to Robbinsville,Maggie's just west of Asheville.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106859619 -->

well I think this time we'll have to find some good route up there.... don't get me wrong it was a pretty drive up there....just looooooonnnnnnngggggggg

Zuk, Knowing that you will be leaving at 7 in the morning, I will ride your direction sometime Thursday when you get off work, and we can look at the 2 busa's on a trailer deal, but if it does not work, if the offer still stands, I will just put my stuff in your truck, and ride toward the gap. Everyone knows how heavy our babies are, and trying to get it in the back of a truck would be ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm back breaking. Come to think of it, riding up there all the way from Raliegh would be an adventure, but then again, that might be even more back breaking. Will see what happens.

Vman- I was kicking around riding over to the Ashville area one of the days I'll be there. I was told there is a killer road somewhere off 26 south of Ashville. Do you have any idea what road they were referring to? think it was someone from MR Cycle who mentioned it, might have even been near their shop.
There are alot of roads in this area that are great. I heard one guy when were were out riding when asked "where is a good road around here", his response was to look at a map and look for a squiggly line.

There is NC74 over to Lake Lure, Number 9 from Lake Lure to Black Mountain.

NC 63 from Patton Ave over Goggit Mountain. From there you can head into Marshall or over to Newport.

Tha Blue Ridge Parkway....

The list goes on and on and on....

Have I mentioned I LOVE living here.......

There are alot of roads in this area that are great. I heard one guy when were were out riding when asked "where is a good road around here", his response was to look at a map and look for a squiggly line.

There is NC74 over to Lake Lure, Number 9 from Lake Lure to Black Mountain.

NC 63 from Patton Ave over Goggit Mountain. From there you can head into Marshall or over to Newport.

Tha Blue Ridge Parkway....

The list goes on and on and on....

Have I mentioned I LOVE living here.......
Been trying to talk the wife into relocating up there. I can transfer into the area, and she really isn't tied to her job too much. We have a couple rugrats in school down here and she doesn't want to relocate them. Family in the area is also an issue. Last summer was basically her first real trip outside of Florida and I think the mountains caught her by surprise. When I talk about moving up there, she thinks about the reality of driving in the mts on a regular basis (she's not the world's best driver) and dealing with winter. I know the winters there are actually mild, but compared to where we are, it may as well be the Arctic to her.

The winters here are so mild. You cant judge that by this weekends forcast.

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...AVERY NC-BUNCOMBE NC-GRAHAM NC-HAYWOOD NC-HENDERSON NC-MACON NC- MADISON NC-MITCHELL NC-NORTHERN JACKSON NC-SOUTHERN JACKSON NC- SWAIN NC-TRANSYLVANIA NC-YANCEY NC- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... ASHEVILLE... BREVARD... BRYSON CITY... BURNSVILLE... FRANKLIN... HENDERSONVILLE... MARSHALL... NEWLAND... ROBBINSVILLE... SPRUCE PINE... SYLVA AND WAYNESVILLE 1051 AM EST FRI JAN 28 2005
... WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT...

A MIXTURE OF SLEET AND SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS OF NORTH CAROLINA EARLY SATURDAY MORNING. DURING THE MORNING... PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO BECOME MODERATE TO HEAVY... AND FALL IN THE FORM OF SNOW AND SLEET. SNOW AND SLEET IS FORECAST TO CONTINUE THROUGH THE AFTERNOON AND GRADUALLY TAPER OFF FROM THE WEST SATURDAY NIGHT.

SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS THE SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL MOUNTAINS OF NORTH CAROLINA. DUE TO SLIGHTLY WARMER TEMPERATURES... GRAHAM... SWAIN... AND MACON COUNTIES MAY END UP ON THE LOWER END OF SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS. THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS OF NORTH CAROLINA COULD SEE ACCUMULATIONS RANGE FROM 4 TO 8 INCHES.

Let me know if I can help if you decide to relocate.

Do you remember who told you about the road at MR? Since I work there I will ask them and see.

that weather forecast sounds like fun to me
wow.gif
laugh.gif
we are due for similar stuff here

just remember, snow and ice when they recommend everyone stay home .... thats the *best* time to hit your local boobie bar
laugh.gif

I figured sell the airboat, buy a 450F Yamaha, build another 4X4. Between those and the Busa, I'll never miss the airboat (another passion of mine), and I would be entertained year-round, almost regardless of the weather.

hmm, I'd rather be up at deals gap today than here
wink.gif
folks cant drive here ... and all we got was rain
wow.gif

OK all. The places to stay poll has the Phillips Motel ahead. I saw we call it and stay at the Phillips. We can go ahead and start making reservations now.

where is the Phillips? are we concerned at all with leaving the bikes out at night? how far is the ride up to the gap from there? nice thing with the CROT or Tapoco lodge is that they are *right* there and you can ride much later in the day .... also there's some concern about being able to cook our own food, some have mentioned an open fire and/or charcoal grills. ..... last time we sat around drinking by the fire and talked for hours, that was a great time that everyone enjoyed..... would hate to miss out on that again
blush.gif

The Phillips is just a few minutes from the Dragon & Cherohala. Not a fancy place, but a lot of people with bikes stay there. I took a lock with me, but never had a problem.

Back