Don't know if this will hit the motorcycle shops but this is not a shock I'm sorry to say.

It's getting tough in aviation as well.... we have an engine-building shop in our hangar to overhaul the Lycoming opposed-4s in our Cessna 172 fleet every 3000 hours and since the planned-demic, it's become increasingly hard to get internal engine components. As of late April, new crankshafts were 9 months out (minimum) from Lycoming so every engine teardown we do now is fingers-crossed that the cranks pass NDT. We just had one fail for a journal crack that was supposed to go into an engine in June but that's not happening now... and another recently that needed to be turned due to minor scoring but the machine shop's turn-around time is now 3-4 months to do it. Used to be a matter of weeks.

I can foresee a future of many legacy light aircraft sitting around collecting dust with engines timed out because there are no replacements available.

It's a thing that was big with the "quiet generation" and the boomer generation that followed them. They got into everything, Astronomy, Amateur radio, electronics, bike restoration and maintenance. All those fields of endeavor are now seeing big declines as the people die off. Companies don't invest in things with diminishing returns I guess. Now go to the mobile space and see the action lol. Now would probably be a good time to clear the shed of those beloved old bikes before they become worthless. It's inevitable I'd think.

Back