Drive Chains, care and cleaning of.

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
Posted on the gixxer board, I find this dialogue:

"The stuff you spray on the chain just attracts and holds dirt. It's a relic from the days before o-ring chains when lube actually did matter.

"None of the stuff you spray on the chain is stout enough to be providing any sort of cushion between the sprocket teeth and the chain. It just gets pushed out of the way by tons of pressure.

"O-rings are malleable rubber and do not need to be lubed to stay pliable.

"Clean your chain, align your chain, properly adjust your chain. That's it."

I'm VERY interested in your opinions of this. It makes a great deal of sense, actually, but before I test it out on a chain of mine, I'd like to know.

Part of the reason it rings true to me is that when I first started using the Chain Wax, I had this thought that if you use wax or other lubes which attract junk, will they be likely to damage the O-rings?

I've wondered that ever since.

--Wag--

Here we go again
lurk.gif

I've used nothing but WD40 for 17000 miles with miniscule adjustments to the chain a handful of times.

Might work up until the point that it starts raining.
Most chains are x-ring these days anyway and are better at holding the lube inside the rollers than the old o-ring were.
I've let a chain go dry in the past and it developed an orange coloured residue coming from the rollers. I assume it was rusting from the inside out.

If you go for a long spin, feel the heat of you chain afterwards. The lube helps to keep the heat down. If it expands due to heat, then it might not last too long.

Also, gear changes seem smoother on a lubed chain.
Bottom line, I wouldn't take the chance.

(Burger King @ Jan. 09 2007,11:11) Here we go again  
lurk.gif

I've used nothing but WD40 for 17000 miles with miniscule adjustments to the chain a handful of times.
+1 on the WD-40!

As for running your chain without any lube at all? I think he's flirting with disaster and obviously doesn't ride in the rain.

But heck it's his chain Cest La Vie!

Actually, I prefer not to have the same ol' discussion about what's the best way to maintain a chain. Just wanted to be very specific about keeping to the pros and cons of THIS particular chain maintenance approach.
biggrin.gif

He claimed later in the thread that he does ride in the rain from time to time. He cleans with kerosene which, of course, has it's own lubing properties.

Good commentary here, though, guys. Thanks a million.

See? That's why I post this stuff up here. I learn from it.

--Wag--

Owner's Manual says , "clean and lubricate every 600 miles"

(bigoltool @ Jan. 09 2007,15:18)
(Burger King @ Jan. 09 2007,11:11) Here we go again  
lurk.gif

+1 on the WD-40!

As for running your chain without any lube at all? I think he's flirting with disaster and obviously doesn't ride in the rain.

But heck it's his chain Cest La Vie!
I ride most every day rain or shine.........Almost 17000 miles the first year.

I re-WD-40 the chain about every 300 miles. The o-rings are meant to keep the lube inside the rollers. The only thing you need to do is keep the o-rings clean and lubricated to keep from dry rotting and eventually failing.

Maybe chain wax helps or maybe it hurts by trapping dirt that could damage the o-rings and sprockets...........the only thing I know is I'm over 17000 miles now with just WD-40 and I'm happy with the results so far. I'm sure I'll be checking the chain and sprockets frequently for excessive wear and then change them out before a longer road trip this spring or as needed.

I wish there was some controlled study to put this to rest once and for all. Otherwise it all depends on the riders riding habits and climatic conditions defining the life of their chain and sprockets and thus their opinion.

If they uses the chain without the lube, don't know how long it will last...long story short, "need to lube, old way, no matter what...thats how I see it..."

I started using the chain wax s hit and only recently after installing a new rear steel sprocket did I realize that the stuff attracts all kinds of crap!!
I am starting to be a fan of just maybe using a light dusting of wd-40 too.

IMO,most products/packaging/looks of product are a gimmic...
Nothing special about WD-40's look.

there are a lot more "parts" on a chain other than the o ring or x-ring....and metal is touching metal constantly. Hence.....a lubricant of some sort is the prudent way to go. I have 33,000 miles and have only made one drive chain change. Clean it often, lube it with oil or wax (wax does attract stuff..but if you clean regularly and relub or rewax...you should be fine).

no lube on a chain....that is risky.....lots of metal to metal contact other than the o ring movement.

I'm about convinced, thanks to comments above, that going without lube is not a good idea. As mentioned, there're more factors to consider than just the o-rings.

I'm considering using a silicone style of lubricant which is generally noted for NOT attracting gunk and stuff. Even moreso than WD-40.

Here's an example though I may not get this exact product:

pn1087.jpg

I've been told that the silicone that you use on garage door springs is a very good quality lubricant which can be used on a bike chain without too much flyoff and with no realy debris attraction qualities. All that with damn good lubrication ability and no corrosive effects on the o-rings.

I'll have my new chain tomorrow and decide how to go about maintaining it then.

--Wag--

A gallon of Kerosene purchased from Lowes poured into a hand held oil pump canister with a tooth brush for cleaning and chain wax to seal.

(Rhythm @ Jan. 09 2007,14:47) A gallon of Kerosene purchased from Lowes poured into a hand held oil pump canister with  a tooth brush for cleaning and chain wax to seal.
This is the best way to clean and maintain a chain. I have been using this method longer than I care to think about (long before O-ring chains).  WD 40 has very poor lubricating qualities, it might be good for cleaning a chain but not for lubrication.  Remember a chain is made of side plates as well as rollers, you need to keep the side plates lubricated to prevent binding & wear. My preference for years has been PJ1. JMO

(dmrowe @ Jan. 09 2007,17:26) WD 40 has very poor lubricating qualities, it might be good for cleaning a chain but not for lubrication.  Remember a chain is made of side plates as well as rollers, you need to keep the side plates lubricated to prevent binding & wear.  My preference for years has been PJ1.  JMO
I've heard this argument endless times and don't dispute it....except....that like Burger King I have used nothing but WD40 on my chains for the last 3 bikes....about 40,000 miles worth, with no accelerated chain or sprocket wear or trouble of any kind. This is all the proof I need. As for the no lube idea....not recommended as I've seen dry chains cause more than enough trouble..

I use chain wax and that's it
wink.gif
, of course I only average 17,000 + miles per chain and sprockets. What's his average
rock.gif

Well to each his own, but here's some information right off their MSDS sheet.

Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates (Dry Cleaning Fluid) 45-50%
Petroleum Base Oil (Mineral Oil) 15-25%
LVP (Liquified Petroleum Gas as a propellent) 12-18%
Carbon Dioxide (Reduces Flammability) 2-3%
Non Hazardous Ingredients (Inert) 10% or less

WD 40 was developed to prevent rust and corrosion, hence WD stands for Water Displacement. I have used it to dry out distributors, spark plug wires even start cold engines. Now I wonder if the drying effect of the distillates might have some effect on the chain seals. As for a dry chain? NEVER! My girlfriends and wives have all complained about the little black dots that appeared on them and the left side of their clothes from oil slung off the chain. Rather have a little to much than none at all. JMO

Back