EGO, lord of the internet!!

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
ok, i got me a linksys NIC, hooked that puppy up and got the other junk runnin.. So now I'm DSLing!

I found out today that I'm about 400 yards from Verizons Server.. which is supposed to be a very good thing especially when your talking about DSL.

I dunno about all that, but it's damn fast. damn near as fast as the cable we run at work... I can watch videos at home now too!!!!!

Life is good.

Thanks for the help resident 'puter geeks.

Now bring on the Hi-res pic's!

Congrats Ego
beerchug.gif
Glad you're up and running.

Distance from the DSL server does make a difference. Cable modems with broadband aren't affected like that though.

DSL rocks. I connect at around 475kbs. No way will I ever go back to dial up at around 50kbs.

best I can tell on the downloads I've done so far..

hehe, i finally have a reason to have quicktime!!!, so I downloaded that..

it was running a little over 200kbs on that.. I can live with that for sure. the 56k was lucky to hit 40 when it was downloading

DSL is great! I finally got it out here in the country a few months ago. A few years ago they started running new underground phone lines to a new high school and finally finished back in December. The phone company even took down the lines suspended from telephone pole to my house and put in new underground wiring.

At the front of my property near the street they put in some kind of underground room. There is a gray plastic man hole cover you lift to get in there.

I average about 2200 KBS which is sweet. I remember the old 110 baud accoustic couplers. I still have my old Trash 80 Model III with the 300 baud DCM-1. I think I could type faster than that thing can transmit.
Back around '83 when I was 13 I subscribed to Compuserve. $12 per hour @ 300 baud! I limited myself to 2 hours per month as I had to mow 2 lawns for each hour I spent online.
Local BBS's popped up which were much more fun than compuserve and they were free.
The 1200 baud SmartCat modem blew my mind. The next upgrade that gave me that much of a thrill was recently going to DSL.
Amazing how far technology has come in 20 years.

BTW, why do so many people hype cable like it's the end all be all? I know a number of people who dropped it for DSL because it was painfully slow during peak hours when everyone in the neighborhood is using it.

I don't think I could ever go back to 56k, I download at according to misc. test on the internet 1.5 mb a sec.
smile.gif

Back