Engine life expectancy

foose

Registered
Hello all,
At last ive decided to buy a busa-a used one(to fit my budjet).so i had a few questions to consider before buying.No doubt the machine is powerful , comfortable.i have the following questions and would be really happy to get some expert advice.

1.What is the engine life expectancy in a hayabusa? like we hear for a car that its built to run for 2.5 lacs kms or so on a decent riding/usage.iam not into drags / quarters.., but just into touring.

2.Is this bike too expensive to maintain? i mean is it like the harley which requires too frequent little adjustments at many locations like valves adjustments,leaks etc..ive seen a similar thread but would appreciate a bit more technical detail.

3.While iam picking a used one (08 is what ive looked for), what are the main points i need to see that is particular to the busa other than generals?

4.considering that the previous owner has not taken much care in riding the busa carefully till ''the engine break in'' and used it roughly used, is it still okay to buy the bike? i mean, is the busa engine real strong to take the beating before the break in period and still give a long life?

5.Are the electronics reliable for a moisture laden climate?

i know the rest like low tire life etc, but the main concern is the engine.please do give your expert opinions especially from senior owners.
thanks in advance friends.

Welcome, my answers will be bolded below.

Hello all,
At last ive decided to buy a busa-a used one(to fit my budjet).so i had a few questions to consider before buying.No doubt the machine is powerful , comfortable.i have the following questions and would be really happy to get some expert advice.

1.What is the engine life expectancy in a hayabusa? like we hear for a car that its built to run for 2.5 lacs kms or so on a decent riding/usage.iam not into drags / quarters.., but just into touring.
There have been many examples of properly maintained bike with over 100,000 miles and still going strong.

2.Is this bike too expensive to maintain? i mean is it like the harley which requires too frequent little adjustments at many locations like valves adjustments,leaks etc..ive seen a similar thread but would appreciate a bit more technical detail.
Download an owners manual, they are free and give the details on adjustments and routine maintenance. But, no, generally they are not expensive to maintain, but you will be purchasing tires and chains more often than other bikes.

3.While iam picking a used one (08 is what ive looked for), what are the main points i need to see that is particular to the busa other than generals?
Just make sure the minor recalls were taken care of, clutch bolts and wire harness.

4.considering that the previous owner has not taken much care in riding the busa carefully till ''the engine break in'' and used it roughly used, is it still okay to buy the bike? i mean, is the busa engine real strong to take the beating before the break in period and still give a long life?
I usually break mine in like I am going to ride it, I dont beat on it but I dont take it easy either.

Dont know why not.

i know the rest like low tire life etc, but the main concern is the engine.please do give your expert opinions especially from senior owners.
thanks in advance friends.

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

Experts will be along but we have many members at or over 100K miles. My experience is : I followed the factory break in , but hear for better performance numbers I should have rode her like I just stole her. I change my oil and filter every 4K miles. Air Filter and plugs about every 25K miles. My '08 has been completely reliable and free of trouble. I ride the piss out of this bike and have nearly 50K miles on it. The valves have never been checked, but I would bet they're in spec.

Welcome! I've owned my 12 Busa for a year now and outside of regular suggested maintenance, I have not had ANY issues with the bike. Granted I did buy it new and did follow the recommended break in period stated in the manual. But like how Twotonevert said, there are folks who do otherwise and also have gotten great performance numbers. I have also owned a Harley previous to my busa and to answer that question, they are definitely NOT expensive to maintain. If you are the slightest bit mechanically sound, you should be good, plus being part of this forum is a great resource for any thing you want to learn about your busa. Seem like all the other aspects, you are good on or are familiar with checking. I think my suggestion would be to that the bike be as stock as possible when you buy it (thats not to say the previous owner didn't put back on OEM parts or anything). Buying a slammed, stretrched, customed out busa could spell trouble unless they have proper paperwork that the work was done from a reputable shop - just my opinion.

Still Runs !

Dsc04394.jpg

Dsc04514_2.jpg

And welcome !! :welcome:

Dsc04394.jpg

Dsc04514_2.jpg

mine is 2005 with 20,000 miles. besides oil and tire changes, it really doesn't need any attention. Mine has had zero issues.

Recently performed valve adjustment, nothing needed to be adjusted.

I ride mine hard and expect no issues from doing so. In fact, if the bike is babies, you can expect carbon build up on the internals, so harder would be better than soft (or sitting around with low miles)

Please don't shoot me but my last bike was a FZ6 and it did 55MPG cost £90 year to insure and around £40 to tax it here in the Uk. The service was £80 and tyre's were around £90 for the rear and £60 for the front.
The Busa does 44 MPG cost £320 to insure and £70 for the road tax. The last service (not paid by me) was £350. Tyres are around £150 for the rear and £120 for the front:-

So yes its a more expensive bike and 90% of the time it's no quicker than my old FZ6 cus the roads are ****e here in the UK but once in a while it's worth every penny.

I don't mean to be rude but it's kind of if you need to ask about running costs don't buy a Busa buy a 600 :/

If maintained properly, the Busa is bulletproof. Engine/transmission have never been apart. I ride her hard and put her away wet...The Odometer is in US Miles. Everything here is of the same Busa. She's been crashed and put back together 4 times, so she's had a few paint jobs.

1375113_4849907905637_1905076924_n.jpg

eureka-day-two-2007-evening-pics 056.jpg

pmra-2008-caps%20080-dennis (Medium).jpg

Image4 (Medium).jpg

258o2204_Cropped.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike are fairly bulletproof.
parts are abundant and cheap

oh. not in the country i live in...india!..where everything is a surprise! and no mechanic ever understands what you say!, m an aviation mechanic and guess i could do most routine maintenance like oil changes etc.im just looking for an easy way to source parts into here..definitely would nt buy them from the dealers here as its way too expensive..but iam happy that the busa can go on and on with prompt general maintenance which i ll never miss..thanks!!

Please don't shoot me but my last bike was a FZ6 and it did 55MPG cost £90 year to insure and around £40 to tax it here in the Uk. The service was £80 and tyre's were around £90 for the rear and £60 for the front.
The Busa does 44 MPG cost £320 to insure and £70 for the road tax. The last service (not paid by me) was £350. Tyres are around £150 for the rear and £120 for the front:-

So yes its a more expensive bike and 90% of the time it's no quicker than my old FZ6 cus the roads are ****e here in the UK but once in a while it's worth every penny.

I don't mean to be rude but it's kind of if you need to ask about running costs don't buy a Busa buy a 600 :/

well..i know the tires dont last long.. but why is it so much like 350? what work was done? is it including the oil or something?? my main concern is defenitely not on the running costs, but the logievity of the motorcycle as a whole..the engine in particular.

mine is 2005 with 20,000 miles. besides oil and tire changes, it really doesn't need any attention. Mine has had zero issues.

Recently performed valve adjustment, nothing needed to be adjusted.

I ride mine hard and expect no issues from doing so. In fact, if the bike is babies, you can expect carbon build up on the internals, so harder would be better than soft (or sitting around with low miles)

well i was in the opinion that carbon build happens when there is more fuel than available air to mix..which kind of happens more in hard riding due to more and sudden throttle opening.gentle opening and progressive openings offers less strain and better combustions..pls correct me if m wrong..thanks!!

Thank you all very much..but anyone has a bit more precise figure of how much the engine can run for?? one example was 100000 miles.. well, can the busa go for say 200000 miles plus? or needs a block change after that? the main reason iam behind this question is because of the difficulty in getting an engine built up here.this is not regarding the engine reliability, but its service life..appreciate your opinions..

Thank you all very much..but anyone has a bit more precise figure of how much the engine can run for?? one example was 100000 miles.. well, can the busa go for say 200000 miles plus? or needs a block change after that? the main reason iam behind this question is because of the difficulty in getting an engine built up here.this is not regarding the engine reliability, but its service life..appreciate your opinions..

I've seen 150,000 US miles (240,000 km) on one. It takes a lot of seat time and dedication to get that many miles on anything with 2 wheels. Also, most bikes are crashed and totaled long before they make it that far. At 100,000 miles, I've still have not needed to adjust the valves, They've been checked every 15,000 miles and are still in spec. I only run full synthetic oil which may make a difference. If you are touring, you can get tires that will last 12,000 kms on the Busa.

Where are you located in India? We have other members in India that may be able to help with local questions.

well i was in the opinion that carbon build happens when there is more fuel than available air to mix..which kind of happens more in hard riding due to more and sudden throttle opening.gentle opening and progressive openings offers less strain and better combustions..pls correct me if m wrong..thanks!!

This is not correct. Carbon builds up on cooler surfaces. Babying the engine doesn't build as much heat and promotes carbon buildup.

This is not correct. Carbon builds up on cooler surfaces. Babying the engine doesn't build as much heat and promotes carbon buildup.

This.

Loosely translated, BusaWhipped is trying to say "ride it like you stole it" :laugh:

wow i doubt you would get 50,000 miles out of the busa not because of the engine, but merely surviving without getting knocked off or worse, i've been to mumbai and bangalore on business and the traffic is mad and the roads not condusive to 100+ mph riding

take care

These bikes are typically fat, but several knowledgeable members recently stated they come too lean from the factory :dunno: Most members keep the carbon blown out of their Busas brother :laugh: Once in awhile just take her up to 10 or 11 K RPMs and you should be fine :beerchug:

Back