F250 brake line busted

wenz

Registered
Steel braided brake line wore through the tire after hauling 10,000lb trailer on the interstate for two hours. Got to where I was going and miraculously it broke as I finally parked it. Didn’t even notice until my dad got in to move it while I was on the phone, he comes back out all serious “how long have your brakes been like that man?…” I’m like what are ya talking about? Jumped in, pedal went to the floor. I had been thinking about taking one front brake or the rear brake, or both off of the busa after upgrading some braking parts to save some weight but never mind. For street riding I’ll keep the setup that came on it :p

My neighbor has a 2020 F250 and he broke the tail light...it was $2300 for a new one because of the built in sensor......he replaced it a couple months ago and noticed a crack in the other one..........he has his own electrical business and this truck is sometimes used by his crew although it's his own personal truck.....

When he was coming home last night, I let him know he has a driving light out.....he said he had just replaced the driver side driving light a week ago...

He said he's getting tired of F250 lights....

That's crazy that the tire wore through the brake line......this neighbor is always pulling some sort of trailer including a new dump trailer...I'll tell him to be on the look out for tire/brake line contact when pulling.....

My neighbor has a 2020 F250 and he broke the tail light...it was $2300 for a new one because of the built in sensor......he replaced it a couple months ago and noticed a crack in the other one..........he has his own electrical business and this truck is sometimes used by his crew although it's his own personal truck.....

When he was coming home last night, I let him know he has a driving light out.....he said he had just replaced the driver side driving light a week ago...

That's crazy that the tire wore through the brake line......this neighbor is always pulling some sort of trailer including a new dump trailer...I'll tell him to be on the look out for tire/brake line contact when pulling.....
Sounds to me like the only way that can happen is if the brake line's securing mount has come adrift and the brake line is swinging in the breeze.
How could it happen otherwise?
Perhaps if the wheels and tyres have been changed with a different offset rim . . maybe??

Sounds to me like the only way that can happen is if the brake line's securing mount has come adrift and the brake line is swinging in the breeze.
Perhaps if the wheels and tyres have been changed with a different offset rim . . maybe??
Maybe the weight of a trailer made it squat down and there is excessive flex in the brake line as a result which brought it in contact with the tire.

In HS, a front flex-line on my clapped-out '71 Chevelle burst. Pedal went down, rears locked, I spun in an intersection. My buddy was impressed...

Now I check the flex lines on my stuff. So glad yours failed in a safe spot.

From the Ultimate Wrenching Machine...

B0127F2B-C8D7-4041-93B4-C8FC5099865B-M.jpg

That’s part of the problem. Brake lines were aftermarket and I think they had come off of the clip.

In HS, a front flex-line on my clapped-out '71 Chevelle burst. Pedal went down, rears locked, I spun in an intersection. My buddy was impressed...

Now I check the flex lines on my stuff. So glad yours failed in a safe spot.
Sweet car.. not one I’d like to be sideways in though :crazy:

Maybe the weight of a trailer made it squat down and there is excessive flex in the brake line as a result which brought it in contact with the tire.
This probably had something to do with it too. I’ve run the trailer a lot over time and put 20000 miles on the truck since having the lines on, but haven’t run the trailer since around January. Maybe it was slightly rubbing anytime I’ve been pulling the trailer and only now made it through the steel.

I think so far I’ve only had a battery go out… thankfully… 75k miles on the 21 7.3 gas

During Covid, our neighborhood gate broke and had to be left open for 2 weeks until parts arrived. I wasn’t too excited about that since super quiet areas like this are always targeted by outside thieves looking for the “low hanging fruits”. Sure enough, a week into it, a black car started scoping out our neighborhood and I caught him on my security cameras stopping and checking the vehicles in our driveway but kept moving. Camera shows they went around 4 or 5 times and left. I woke up the next morning to see a cop car in front of my neighbor’s house. I asked what was going on and turns out scumbags had stolen all f150 taillights in the neighborhood (4 or 5 trucks) including my neighbor’s f150 raptor lights. Thieves know people in this area don’t lock doors/tailgates, so I’m sure they felt like they hit the jackpot when they found the front gate wide open.

Back