Ft. Polk, LA...

GA_boi

Donating Member
Registered
Looks like this will be my first duty station. It will be close to a year before I step foot on the ground there. I've still got 5 weeks til graduation and commissioning then all of my schools. Anybody got any first hand knowledge of the place??

There are a lot of places you will not want to go. If you are of african american decent, just a forwarning there are still some town rather close to base that DID in 1995 burn crosses in field if you know what I mean. The Crawfish there are AWESOME, me and buddies used to sit around on weekends and eat lbs and lbs of crawfish, drink beer and play cards. It was an open post when I was there. if you like heat and humidity you will love it. JRTC is awesome.

Last edited:
Have spent a few weeks there on rotations, but it certainly hasn't been my favorite location. Army posts are known for not being near much, but it's definitely out there. On the converse, it can be as good as you make it. Congrats on getting commissioned and good luck with your career! Thanks for your service.

Make sure you bring a KNIFE, so in June-July and Aug you can cut the AIR and chew on it for your H2O ::11 requirements :laugh:. One of the Few Places Mon - Wen- Fri PT had to start at 4 AM to satify the wet bulb requirement :drool: . Polk is the MOST HUMID place I've ever been, with the Navy's Great Lakes Training Center in a close second :mboesgrins:

OH Yeah, I forgot, the FOOD IS GREAT :cheerleader:

And if your a Tanker, you'll love all those concrete tank trails :thumbsup: ! Makes training and overwatch practice ALOT more fun than trodging through Louisiana MUD :beerchug:

i heard from another gentleman who was in for 20 that the police, the civilian police, aren't crazy about soldiers. they tend to give out a great number of tickets. but i've never personally been there, so i dunno.

The food is great there. When you do finally get on base, you need to try some Boudan! It's a cajun style pork sausage.

Thanks guys. Being from south GA the heat and humidity really dont bother me a whole lot. 4 am might start to become rather irrtating after a while. Crawdads make for good eating, this I know from first hand knowledge. I think my only complaint might be the isolation. Looks like Houston is the nearest major city at 3 1/2 hrs away. It will be what I make of it!!

Thanks guys. Being from south GA the heat and humidity really dont bother me a whole lot.

Not wanting to be the barer of BAD NEWS, but you have NO IDEA !! I'am from Alabama and it's brutal !

Also, there use to be an Alligator in the Base Lake that ATE the Generals Poodle :whistle: . Lake was closed for months but the Game Rangers couldn't fine him. So, just test the water with your toes (THOSE you can do without :laugh: ) and the trails are FULL of Snakes (water moccasins mostly) ! But remember, THE FOOD IS GREAT, and Nau-lens (local for New Orleans) isn't that far. And as far as the Police, they're no different than any other Base City. Remember, bad reps are generally because of 18 to 25 year olds who don't understand what a speed limit is. And it is, THEIR TOWN, your just passing through on your way to somewhere else.

Just Enjoy the whole experience, in Life it's Worth It :thumbsup:

i went there for j.r.t.c. back in 94' with the 25th i.d. some raw looking critters running around those woods. i wonder if the pettycoat junction is still in business? good place to kill some time. :whistle:

Hey Ga, grats on the commision. I have been here on Ft Polk for the last 5 1/2 years and it's not all that bad. I work here on post for Sikorsky, working on the LUHs (light utility helicopter). The weather is great for riding 10 months out of the year but the roads and corrupt law enforcement can cause some issues, really gotta watch that speed in some ares. On the plus side the roads in Texas are great for riding. There are also alot of great day trip rides and alot of riders here, so it will be easy to find a riding group or two. The biggest issue for new arrivals is housing and climate change. Other than that it's not so bad, definetly took some getting used to.:laugh:

wow, lol, lurk much bro? on here for a year and a half and this is your first post? wow, must be busy there on base. you enlisted, or a contractor?

hahahahahaha...

Ok, but seriously, I was there from 93-94... If you can get past the heat, and are pretty open-minded in dealing with the locals, it really isn't too bad. Food is excellent, New Orleans is a great place to spend a long weekend. Galveston and South Padre Island are pretty cool too...

well polk is polk and was my first duty station once youre there for a while you will see what i mean. great food there although im biased being from natchitoches and all :beerchug: definitely humid there and when it rains out and youre in the field quickly can turn into fort sucks A%^ good luck with training and the commission though:thumbsup:

Wow! Looks like there are quite a few that came out of the woodwork for this one. Next question...anybody got any first hand knowledge of the 162nd IN Bgd?

i heard from another gentleman who was in for 20 that the police, the civilian police, aren't crazy about soldiers. they tend to give out a great number of tickets. but i've never personally been there, so i dunno.

Thats around EVERY military post.

Thanks guys. Being from south GA the heat and humidity really dont bother me a whole lot. 4 am might start to become rather irrtating after a while. Crawdads make for good eating, this I know from first hand knowledge. I think my only complaint might be the isolation. Looks like Houston is the nearest major city at 3 1/2 hrs away. It will be what I make of it!!

Lake Charles is a good place to go for the night life.

Heard the same thing about gators on post when i was there, never saw any. There are lots of wild horses out in the "back 40" JRTC. Quit the scene to watch them. Watch out for the red **** headed wood pecker, you will hear a million and one times about the and their habitat.

Roads are definitely VERY crappy there.

When you run PT there it will ALWAYS be on the same roads "BOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRING" they close it down for PT because EVERYONE uses it in the AM.

hahahahahaha...

Ok, but seriously, I was there from 93-94... If you can get past the heat, and are pretty open-minded in dealing with the locals, it really isn't too bad. Food is excellent, New Orleans is a great place to spend a long weekend. Galveston and South Padre Island are pretty cool too...

For the 3 Mardi Gras' I was there we were convienently in the field of deployed for each. hmmmmmm go figure. I spent a lot of time in/on galveston island on long weekends.

Back