Gas Prices

G

This is probably a waste of time but some of these misconceptions should be addressed by someone. At least I'll feel better.

First: The oil companies are not getting rich from the current increase in the price of oil/gas. Last year the price of oil dropped to its lowest point in 30 some years and many smaller independents were forced out of business.[drilling&pipeline companies too] There were small towns near oil fields in OK and TX that are GONE now. Larger oil companies were forced to terminate thousands of employees in order to survive. It will take the remainder of the year at current prices just to RECOVER the losses incurred last year. [to break even] The price for a barrel of oil dropped to the $10 range last year and many were badly hurt. My company was forced to close two divisions and it FROZE all salaries for TWO years - and of course no performance based bonus. My company and others have been forced into mergers in order to survive. The prices were so low that drilling in the U.S. STOPPED and the majority of wells were capped since it cost more to pump the oil/gas than it could be sold for. We lost a good amount of money on the few wells we owned that continued to produce. I know of no oil company that did NOT lose money last year. OPEC was forced to limit production output in order to raise the demand/price of oil. It is now around $31 a barrel [closed at $31.65 yesterday] and the current price at the pump does NOT yet reflect that.[it should/will be higher] Did you know that if all of the government taxes on a gallon of gas were removed that it would be about a dollar right now? Did you know that last year when gas was around a dollar a gallon that it was cheaper then it had ever been based on inflation? (even with the extra taxes that Clinton added) We're so spoiled to having fuel that is dirt cheap that when the price increases 20 cents some get ridiculously hysterical. We waste huge amounts of fuel because it is so cheap. Gas guzzlers clog our roads and pollute excessively because of it. Efficiency advancement has been neglected. I don't like paying high prices at the pump anymore than you do - especially after getting screwed out of raises and bonus due to the crash last year but there are two sides to the story and only one uninformed side ever seems to be heard. OPEC has maintained a dominate control over oil consumption, demand, pricing and availability for decades. In the past when they [OPEC] reduced output long enough for the price to rise many of the OPEC member countries would then begin to "cheat" and sell more than they agreed to in order to reap larger profits - which in turn brought the price back down. This time around OPEC is holding firm and may have learned that "cheating" hurts them all in the long run. This time they may be able to maintain the length of time that the price remains high. BTW - the price of a barrel of oil is determined on WALL STREET - not in an oil company conference room by some fat cat. Oil companies like mine are at the mercy of WALL STREET - good or bad. Just like the rest of the stock market - price swings on oil are confusing/nonsensical and often due to external events. (like war, politics, weather, economy reports etc) It often has very little to do with supply or demand. Our biggest enemy has been and still is the enormous dependence on foreign crude and the control that gives to OPEC over the US and our economy. If you think prices are high now just try and imagine what they would be if OPEC cut off the US entirely for a while. Sometimes I wonder if that's not what we need?!

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 07 March 2000).]

Dont you guys know whats going on? ITS NEW WORLD ORDER!! you know we are gonna have to pay more for gas so they can have more money to FREELY GIVE these other deadbeat governments/ LEAVING LESS MONEY FOR OUR ECONOMY! I heard it said a long while ago NWO wasnt about bringing the rest of the world up to our high standard of living but lowering our standard to the rest of the world. WHAT A FREAKING SHAME!

Damn it would cost me almost $180.00 to fill up my truck over there! The bad part is a go through a tank or so a week.

A good portion of our city's road fund is and has been getting smaller, so I definately don't see any additional money coming our way to maintain roads. I work for a city agency things are not improving here, you will likely see more potholes than improvments with your higher gas prices..... ;)
Martin

Hey Lyle, Don't take me too seriously, I've been known to start arguments out of pure boredom for the sake of it!

No you haven't.
Yes I have.

:) :) :)

Good post Todd. Economic factors are always a whole lot more complex than we want to spend time and brain cells trying to understand. Forgive me if I missed it, but I don't recall any of us describing ourselves on this board in terms that indicate we can't afford gas for our Busas or other toys. At 35 mpg, 10,000 miles uses 286 gallons. So if it goes up a dollar it'll cost $286 more. Big deal!

Things go up. Things go down. Here in California we once exported inflated real estate prices around the world. Later we (collectively) ate some losses. Right now tech stocks are inflated. That'll change too. Oil prices have been way low for a long time. I remember when they were predicted to hit $50/barrel. Everytime I go to Las Vegas I pass a moth-balled solar energy power plant near Barstow built on the premise of $50/barrel oil.

Sure, if OPEC and company stick to their plans this time, the cheap energy days are over and many segments of the economy will feel the effects, probably in many unpredictable ways.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking that this is great justification for commuting on my Busa instead of my car.

Are you guys PISSSED OFF as much as I am ? We went from $.95/us gallon to $1.40/usgallon. What a rip off. I know the Euro's are wondering what my complaint is. They're paying .76 pence a litre. I think that translates into $5.50 a US Gallon. Please correct my calculation if necessary.

The point is that rising fuel prices everywhere threatens our economy and our sport. All it does is to make a few very rich people richer.

How do you guys & ladies feel about being part of the Gas Boycott on April 7 thru 9th?

Seems OPEC has laid it to us again! Produce so much oil and make it cheap and those fuelish Americans will buy lots of gas guzzelers and we (OPEC) will sell it so cheap the Americans will stop drilling and have no fuel of their own, then we will lay the smack down...double our profits. I know it has been said before..but why don't we lay the smack down to them when they get hungry! MY $1.72 worth!

Lyle,

Here in Calif. (Bay Area) we were paying $1.59 regular for the last few years (now up to $1.79). I buy plus (89 Octane) which is around $1.89 now and I've seen over $2.00 for premium. SOunds like it's still RELATIVELY cheap in your area

BTW,

I remember my parents driving around from station to station when I was a kid to find the best prices. Gas was 27.9 cents a gallon then.

I also remember the gas rationing of the 70's and since I didn't have my license yet, I figgured I'd never be able to enjoy driving when I did get a car (no gas). Of course the supply went up and I now have three motorcycles and two cars. If there ever is another shortage, it's probably my fault.

Fortunately I can afford the cost and I figgure $2.00 a gallon is here to stay. Its a drag, but you really can't do anything to stop it.

It works out at $5.34 per gallon for the Brits and other parts of Euro pay much more (French are practically double us.)
The thing is The US gets all of it's natural resources Fuel Wood etc. remarkably cheap and there's no surprise that it consumes more than everybody else, meanwhile the rest of the world is trying to cut back on excess and live by our means - it's about time the US was brought in line, yes it will hurt the economy and mean much less cash in your pockets, the US has never built up a decent public transports system, indeed it would be costly and expensive given the expanse of the country but Australia manages it with less cash and populous spread over a wider area - welcome to the real world. A transport infrastructure costs billions, making cars accessible to the vast majority of the populous though cheap fuel and lousy driving standards is not the answer.
The US has managed to shelter a proportion of it's citizens from what should be their burdens by not providing for the whole community and concentrating on giving only to those who can afford it (just look at the aforementioned lack of public transport and US health care.) this makes rich Americans richer while the poor are amongst the poorest in the world.
The reality is you can ignore poverty and the under classes for so long until there is so many of them that they will stand and destroy the 'rich elite' - you'll really need all the guns you can get hold of then - enjoy the profits of your wealth....

Blimey it's a bit early for a rant! :)

Geez ... My intent wasn't to start another American bashing thread. This is a common problem to US ALL. I readily agree that the Euro members have it much worse than we do.

Is anyone interested in participating in the Global Gas Boycott on April 7-9 ???

With all due respect Lyle, what's a global gas boycott going to do? People participating will buy gas before or after the boycott so there is no net effect. Oil companies still get their money. Also, keep in mind that the reason for a lot of the price increases are decreases in production by OPEC. This cartel of oil producing nations couldn't give a hoot if you decide not to buy gas on a particular day. They will still get to sell their oil at the prices they establish. Oil is used for so many other things besides gasoline (heating oil, diesel fuel, motor oil, tire production, etc.) Besides, the first "gas-out" didn't do anything. In fact, prices INCREASED after this allegedly successful event. Maybe a better message would be increased use of public transportation for commuting or use of MOTORCYCLES which are more gas efficient. Getting rid of gas-guzzling SUV's among city dwellers who don't even know how to engage 4WD would also help more (not that anyone on THIS list is in that category!!) than any alleged gas boycott. And finally, even as a U.S. citizen (born and raised), I find that all the complaints about paying up to $2.00 a gallon pretty unjustified when even that high amount is still the lowest in the entire world.

Here in L.A. 92 octane goes from $1.75 all the way to $1.85 a gallon. A fill-up: 4.5 gallons at least, comes to $8.35 or so. I agree with ROR, riding the Busa is the best way to save gas money. If you complain about gas prices get yourself an electric car or better yet, take the bus.

I kinda hope the price of gas goes UP this summer (at least for a short while). Why? Because I want all the city bound folk who drive SUVs to: 1) WAKE UP and realize that they are living in a dreamworld - if everyone in the world wants to buy an SUV to commute to work we are going to be living in a sorry state of affairs, b) go bankrupt and/or sell their SUVs and buy a bike or smaller car. Less tanks on the road. More bikes. Then gas consumption would drop, as would the price of gas. Hmmmm....

Sh!t .. I thought, here was an issue we would all agree on. Duuhhh.

201 MPH.... U R MY KINDA GUY!!!! WAY TOO MUCH guvernment in our lives.....in the schools /in the taxes tellim us how to raise our kids..etch......

I'd like to take this opportunity to show Colin the correct calculation.

R3 per litre DIVIDED by 6.5 = $0.46 litre * 4.5 = $2.08 gallon

Thank you

Back