Gen 1 stock barrels over-bore

Neophyte

Registered
I have done some searching, but couldn't find any specific info I'm looking for, but maybe I'm searching wrong.

What is the safe limit that the stock barrels on a Gen 1 can be bored out to?

I am very tempted to go for a 1396cc kit, but not sure if the stock barrels can go that far and what needs to be done to accommodate the 1396cc kit.

Please keep in mind I can't do the "exchange service" as I live I South Africa.

84mm
Thanks. I have seen this size yes, and I might have quote incorrectly.

I can't see what is the max bore on stock barrels before additional work needs to be done.

And if additional work needs to be done for the 84mm bore, then what is involved?

1397 Kit

Plus gasket kit.
Thanks for the link.

As I mentioned in my original post, is that I can not do this kind of exchange service. I am in South Africa, so both shipping time AND shipping cost is a killer. We don't have such services here either.

So, again; "And if additional work needs to be done for the 84mm bore, then what is involved?"

Or is this a trade secret?

You need the block and pistons. It cannot be done without them. You have to remove the engine. Pull the old block, replace the pistons, reinstall the head and cams and degree the cams. Obviously replacing gaskets as you go. Then reinstall the engine and get it tuned. No secrets just work. It cannot be done without an 84mm block and pistons though.

You will need to recoat the cylinder walls after boring, so make sure whoever is doing the work is experienced with this. Also, make sure you get the correct 84mm head gasket. The Wossner block might be a good option.

Back