Going to talk to the recruiter

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

page

-----OK you get the page, but I think I feel a Post count reset coming.... Ho Ho Ho is a seasonal thing BA, not a goal... -------------

-Rev
;)

Yeah, What Zukracer said... The military is more and more doing what parents are incapable or not ALLOWED to do with their own children.

Military service got me where I am and the wife where she is. No she didn't serve but without my time in the Air Force she may not have had the opportunity to go to the schools she did...

I have a left shoulder that doesn't work well and hurts all the time, I've got severe tinnitus in my left ear and my left knee is pretty grainy. BUT, no regrets...

Moto if you don't listen to anything else anyone here tells you, at least make certain you talk to all five branches before signing ANYTHING.

You'll hear a lot of promises, you'll hear a lot of hype, but there is more out there than a rifle and dirt if you want it and it's a great way to serve.

Air Force is a great choice and DO NOT FORGET THE COAST GUARD.

More and more the Coast Guard is involved on the front lines of keeping our country safe. Real missions, real job ALL THE TIME. You know what a Rifle man, is when not deployed? Do you? Weed pickers, fence painters, you get my drift, without a target a rifle and the man behind it are all but redundant.

Find an MOS that involves at least 6 months of tech school. That will make you worth something to them... :thumbsup:

Also if you're dead set on carrying a rifle, being a grunt bunny? Go Marines. I might be biased, whole family is Marine, but there isn't an organization out there where you belong to something the way you do to the Corps, where there is history, brotherhood, esprit de' corps, and near SOF levels of training and proficiency. Sure you're not the best funded, but there isn't a more respected of feared military force out there.

Yeah, What Zukracer said... The military is more and more doing what parents are incapable or not ALLOWED to do with their own children.

Military service got me where I am and the wife where she is. No she didn't serve but without my time in the Air Force she may not have had the opportunity to go to the schools she did...

I have a left shoulder that doesn't work well and hurts all the time, I've got severe tinnitus in my left ear and my left knee is pretty grainy. BUT, no regrets...

Moto if you don't listen to anything else anyone here tells you, at least make certain you talk to all five branches before signing ANYTHING.

You'll hear a lot of promises, you'll hear a lot of hype, but there is more out there than a rifle and dirt if you want it and it's a great way to serve.

Air Force is a great choice and DO NOT FORGET THE COAST GUARD.

More and more the Coast Guard is involved on the front lines of keeping our country safe. Real missions, real job ALL THE TIME. You know what a Rifle man, is when not deployed? Do you? Weed pickers, fence painters, you get my drift, without a target a rifle and the man behind it are all but redundant.

Find an MOS that involves at least 6 months of tech school. That will make you worth something to them... :thumbsup:

Also if you're dead set on carrying a rifle, being a grunt bunny? Go Marines. I might be biased, whole family is Marine, but there isn't an organization out there where you belong to something the way you do to the Corps, where there is history, brotherhood, esprit de' corps, and near SOF levels of training and proficiency. Sure you're not the best funded, but there isn't a more respected of feared military force out there.

I may end up doing that...I want to carry a rifle. It's just what I've always been interested in.

I don't know if SF is right for me or not. I'd LOVE to do it, but it's going to be a LONG HARD road, and I don't know if I want to be in that long...

We'll see, I'm still deciding, and I've got time.

I may end up finding a civi-job and end up not wanting military service.:dunno:

I do appreciate all of the care this board has to offer...thank you all for your advice and service.:bowdown:

Last edited:
Trust me on this, Join the Air Force. It's mostly a Job with a Haircut. Get a good AFSC, something technical like Jet Engine Mechanic and get stationed in Vegas.

THEN, volunteer for Security Forces Reserve or Honor Guard. You'll get plenty of time behind a rifle on a part time recreational basis almost... The BEST way to carry a rifle.

There's very little cool about carrying a weapon every day all day. Even an M4 for 6 months without a break that thing becomes leaden, hated, and a PITA.

Trust me on this, Join the Air Force. It's mostly a Job with a Haircut. Get a good AFSC, something technical like Jet Engine Mechanic and get stationed in Vegas.

THEN, volunteer for Security Forces Reserve or Honor Guard. You'll get plenty of time behind a rifle on a part time recreational basis almost... The BEST way to carry a rifle.

There's very little cool about carrying a weapon every day all day. Even an M4 for 6 months without a break that thing becomes leaden, hated, and a PITA.

What if I'm no good at mechanical stuff...(I sucked in shop class) "auto mechanics", I just don't think I'd be cut out for mechanic work.

What about MP's, does AF have that? ???

Just keep in mind these guys are salesmen. It is their job to make everything sound great and to sell you on the idea that you want to enlist.

They usually have a list of certain jobs they need filled and will do their best to stear you in the direction they need you to go.

I would make it a point to also talk to Navy, Air Force and even the Coast Guard. Yes I did say Coast Guard. If you are looking at a career in law enforcement after the military the Coast Guard would be a great start, especially if you are interested in something like a DEA job. Different branches will need to fill different slots and by talking to all of them you are effectively covering all your options.

Infantry isn't a bad thing, but if you can get the government to give you some type of specialized training, especially something that has a use in the civilian world, you will be helping yourself in the long run.
sounds like great advice, bro.

??????:whistle:

comp_error.gif

If you think you want to be SF go Army and go Infantry. Preferably Airborne so you can get Airborne school and hopefully Jump Master and possibly Ranger school out of the way.

Your other option and the one I would encourage my son (17) to do if he wanted to be SF. Join the Army and become a medic assigned to an airborne infantry unit. You get all the same schools knocked out and develop medic skills that are necessary in SF as well as the civilian world. You can always cross-train as a weapon\engineer Sgt.

I remember you posting your ASVAB scores and I don't know how they stack up against current recruits but if the recruiter says the are to low ask to take it again and prepare yourself before hand by studying.

just about every branch has some sort of special forces unit. talk to every recruiter and see who offers the best fit for you. I've done 22 years and loved every minute of it.
The AF is more than turning wrenches, but it has to be the best job. Crew Dog :thumbsup::laugh:

I'm 18 years old.

And no, this isn't a spare of the moment decision. I've been thinking about military service for some-time now.

Oh, and I'm sure I would be just fine in bootcamp. The only problem I would have is home-sickness, but everyone gets that.

Nothing is etched in stone yet, I may talk to the recruiters and decide it's not for me.

But as of right now, I'm thinking about joining.

Thanks all of you for your thoughts...it's nice to know that there are people who care.:thumbsup:

18..huh

I knew at the age of 10 I wanted to be a marine,I went to a career day with my father who btw was in the 82nd airborn for 8 yrs. met a marine recruiter there and from that day on couldnt wait to graduate HS.I used to stop in the recruiters office every month or so until I was of age.

this is why I asked if it was a spare of the moment thing for you,you just sound like you want to join the military not specifically be a marine. Marine Corps is different then just being in the Military.

Goodluck

btw, you will need the highest ASVAB score to be accepted into the Corps.meaning it requires the highest passing score of the 4 groups

I may end up doing that...I want to carry a rifle. It's just what I've always been interested in.

I don't know if SF is right for me or not. I'd LOVE to do it, but it's going to be a LONG HARD road, and I don't know if I want to be in that long...

We'll see, I'm still deciding, and I've got time.

I may end up finding a civi-job and end up not wanting military service.:dunno:

I do appreciate all of the care this board has to offer...thank you all for your advice and service.:bowdown:

i KNOW YOU WONT LISTEN TO ME HERE BUT i AM TELLING THESE WORDS WILL HAUNT YOUR BRAIN WHEN YOUR CARRYING YOUR RIFLE 24/7 TRYING TO KEEP IT CLEAN,

THE HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE WAS THE DAY I RETURNED MY M16. ANYONE WHO HAS HAD TO CARRY,SLEEP,CLEAN AND EAT WITH ONE WILL TELL YOU THE SAME.

COULD SHOOT A FLY IN THE ASS AT 500YARDS BUT STILL COULDNT WAIT TO GET RID OF IT.

YOU WILL SPEND MORE TIME CLEANING IT THEN FIRING IT.TRUST ME AND IF YOUR LUCKY YOU WONT GET ATTACHED TO A S.A.W OR M60...JUST MORE TO LUG AROUND AND KEEP CLEAN.

ITS GLORIFYED IN THE MOVIES,IN REAL LIFE IT SUCKS

SEMPER FI

Make sure you have a school before going to boot. Do not fall for the "you get to try multiple jobs and choose later line" Don't fall for any recruiter BS. They are trained in a school to seam like great guys, its there job. Make sure you know what you want to do for the next four years and don't take anything less. If you like motors be a mechanic if you like electricity be a electrician. Don't fall for the "all our jobs give you great experience for the outside world. "example" if you are trained as a tank mechanic how many people do you know own a tank in the civilian sector. Your job prospects will look pretty dim. Yes you can get college fund and a sign on bonus. The sign on bobus is not as good as it sounds. No matter what your MOS is if you join the USMC or the US ARMY you can and probably will go to the sandbox. Check out the coast guard. Good luck man it is a big decission. I did it for 10 yrs and I wouldn't do it any differently. Stay away from military chicks. 90% of them will admit they join the military to get married and have kids.

Been there, done that....

Tip: Don't believe a damn thing he tells you. He's a Salesman! :laugh:

I'm meeting with the Army recruiter this week...I already talked to him over the phone, and seem's like a great guy.:thumbsup:

Are there any tips that you guys have? Anything to look for, bring, ask?

I'm going to go and talk to the Marine Corps recruiter shortly after...does anyone here know if there is a Marine Reserve infantry?

The Army recruiter said there is NO Combat Arms mos's in the Army Reserve, is there Combat Arms mos's in the Marine Reserves? ???

If the Marines is not calling to you in your dreams, do something else. If you want to be one of the Few and the Proud, the marine Corps is the only way to go. Go infantry. Go Machinegunner! Happiness is a belt fed weapon. Don't go reserve, go Active Duty. If you are gonna do something, don't half step, get everything out of it you can. You will not walk away with a tech school, or gert some cushy living quarters, or all the comforts of home, but you will walk away a MAN. Step up to the plate and swing for the fences. SEMPER FI! If everyone could BE a Marine, everyone would.

Not a bad Idea to take your contract an attorney. Also remember to read the fine print... 4 years active + 4 years inactive reserve automatic.

DON'T FORGET THE AIR FORCE!!!!!

Telling ya, it's a great way to go. If you want to get dirty you can do that, but if you want to serve and come out with some useful real world skill, (Last I heard not a lot of call for Rifleman in the Civi-world) and you'll get better accommodations, food, treatment, education and basic services while you're in.

Choose from DEsk Job to SOF Elite, but Air Force is a great way to go. Don't get too hung up on "infantry" or Rifleman. Nothing wrong with it, but there's a lot more out there to be had and you don't want to waste this opportunity...

:thumbsup:

Back