Need help with brakes, please help.

Maknmistakes

Registered
Okay so I just picked up this 2008 gen 2 hayabusa from flordia. When I got it it looks like they did a brake delete up front on one side, lowered, and stretched the bike as well as adding 2018 gsxr 1000 wheels. When I got the bike he said it needed a bigger rear rotor but everyone I ask is saying that it’s correct and that the caliper needs to be reinstalled correctly. What exactly do I have to do to get the caliper to fit over the rotor again and why is it like this in the first place? Really questioning life not being able to slow down on this thing haha, SOS.

62B1EBD4-0FB6-4566-A042-A655ABE4C25A.jpeg

99FD5DB2-7B2C-4E81-8DE3-AAC7EFCC9DB0.jpeg

1437E0A6-4062-4F2B-AFB2-D7B88FF9B705.jpeg

CC449D82-751F-4322-AB83-3497071E07FC.jpeg

Okay so I just picked up this 2008 gen 2 hayabusa from flordia. When I got it it looks like they did a brake delete up front on one side, lowered, and stretched the bike as well as adding 2018 gsxr 1000 wheels. When I got the bike he said it needed a bigger rear rotor but everyone I ask is saying that it’s correct and that the caliper needs to be reinstalled correctly. What exactly do I have to do to get the caliper to fit over the rotor again and why is it like this in the first place? Really questioning life not being able to slow down on this thing haha, SOS.

View attachment 1669680

View attachment 1669681

View attachment 1669682

View attachment 1669685
Needs a bigger rear rotor

I think the 1000 came out with a 220mm disc , with different bolt pattern to Gen 2 Busa 260mm disc , but same bolt pattern as 240mm Gen 1 disc . If that is stock Gen 2 caliper hanger you got , you could compromise and try to fit the Gen 1 disc to 1000 wheel , but still not correct obviously , but better than what you got now .

I think the 1000 came out with a 220mm disc , with different bolt pattern to Gen 2 Busa 260mm disc , but same bolt pattern as 240mm Gen 1 disc . If that is stock Gen 2 caliper hanger you got , you could compromise and try to fit the Gen 1 disc to 1000 wheel , but still not correct obviously , but better than what you got now .
Correct the rear rotor in the 1k wheel is smaller

That was the 1st thing that came to mind for me. But I didn't want to go out and look. I thought it had just been too long to remember.

Also it's only making contact on the centerline.

I think the bike was a drag bike and they were weight saving.
Yeah I absolutely agree, I’ve talked to acouple guys who race out here at darlington and say it’s correct for racing, to be honest I’m just trying to get rear brakes i don’t care too much to have both front calipers because I understand why it was done for racing. But without doing a rear brake delete I’d like to find a bigger rotor for the rear but I’m not sure where to start

Would there be anyway to get a different caliper hanger, possibly off of a gsxr 1000 would that work? Honestly I might just save myself the time and just buy gen 2 hayabusa rims but I really like the way these look on the bike and I’d rather not take them off haha.

Weird ... my guess bike was running straight line
someone else will be along, explain in detail how to fix
I would love an explanation, wheels are obviously off a gsxr 1000 and they were trying to do a wheel conversion. Offset sided calipers with one missing on the side of the rear to balance. But with the rear rotor being so small on the stock gen 2 busa caliper hangers the pads don’t even barely clear the center line. Was thinking of switching to a different sized rotor but I’m not even sure what size. Was hoping someone on here did the wheel swap before

A gsxr rear brake hanger might work (maybe machined down or added too to fit that current gen 2 caliper hangers spacing ) but I would think if it was easy swap , last owners might have already done it . If you are able , locate Gen 2 wheels to suit , the original wheels are nice 3 spoke design , and you might get the option of re coloring them or score a trick factory color . Then an original 260mm disc and all will be sweet .

A gsxr rear brake hanger might work (maybe machined down or added too to fit that current gen 2 caliper hangers spacing ) but I would think if it was easy swap , last owners might have already done it . If you are able , locate Gen 2 wheels to suit , the original wheels are nice 3 spoke design , and you might get the option of re coloring them or score a trick factory color . Then an original 260mm disc and all will be sweet .
That’s what I’m planning right now trying to find a set on marketplace as we speak, when the guy above mentioned the difference in mm in the gen 1 vs gen 2 and gsxr 1000 it just kind of made sense to take the loss on the new rims it has even though they look good and just run factory oem until I can buy a kit made for the bike.

Back