Please help ! My 07 Gen 2 gear lever stuck in 6th gear.

Ok guys bit of an update ! Firstly thankyou for all the advice much appreciated .
I tried the the shifter ad suggested and found all was OK, I then split the case's and found an issue.
There is one shifter fork heavily worn on one of its sides and what I think is 6th gear drive lugs stuck out of mesh, there is quite a bit of wear to this gear ! I hope the pictures explain what I mean.
Any further input would also be much appreciated as this is the first time I've ever split a busa engine.
Cheers
Gray

20240401_171448.jpg

20240402_120105.jpg

20240402_120047.jpg

Ok guys bit of an update ! Firstly thankyou for all the advice much appreciated .
I tried the the shifter ad suggested and found all was OK, I then split the case's and found an issue.
There is one shifter fork heavily worn on one of its sides and what I think is 6th gear drive lugs stuck out of mesh, there is quite a bit of wear to this gear ! I hope the pictures explain what I mean.
Any further input would also be much appreciated as this is the first time I've ever split a busa engine.
Cheers
Gray

View attachment 1681423

View attachment 1681424

View attachment 1681425

Yikes!

Any suggestions? I.e purchase separately the gears and shift fork required and rebuild meaning I have new and old gears on the shaft or a reconditioned whole deck, don't know which way to go with it.
Cheers.

Aftermarket quick shifter... Probably didn't help matters?
Lets pray you get it back together without any oil leak :beerchug:

Yes, but strange it would be 6th and not 2nd.
And that it isn't tooth damage from harsh engagememt, it really does look like the fork wouldn't slide back.
I'm curious to see what the pin on the shift fork and the shift drum track looks like, if there is any damage.
Maybe it will be easier to find the cause after full disassembly.

Yes, but strange it would be 6th and not 2nd.
And that it isn't tooth damage from harsh engagememt, it really does look like the fork wouldn't slide back.
I'm curious to see what the pin on the shift fork and the shift drum track looks like, if there is any damage.
Maybe it will be easier to find the cause after full disassembly.
When my Gen 2 was brand new, running in, getting into 6th was sometimes missed with a big crunch once I forced it. It went away though, after about 1,000 miles never happened again.

When my Gen 2 was brand new, running in, getting into 6th was sometimes missed with a big crunch once I forced it. It went away though, after about 1,000 miles never happened again.

I have read of a false neutral between 5th and 6th(and had it happen to my Gen2 once and never again, maybe didnt shift positively enough that times, which is what I assume).
Also of 6th failing with 2nd on 3 occasions, 2 Gen1's And a Gen2.
All were posts here over a decade ago.

I shouldn't have this issue because I never use 6th. I would on a long straight flat highway I suppose, but there are none of them around here. I burn a little more gas in 5th but I have more power on hand and am closer to 3rd for a B-double overtake.

@sixpack577 When I mentioned the auto-shifter I was thinking of a bent fork not mashed gears. My bmw has one of course but integrated with an auto-blipper, I think that might make a difference. I never, or rarely use it coming down the gears and I have a suspicion the whole deal adds extra wear to the chain and sprockets. It's certainly *fun* going up though and takes all the drama out of changes in a corner if you choose to. Going up, not down lol.

B-DOUBLE-s.jpg

Replace the plastic oil pickup. It has a mesh screen in it and one metal gets in it you can't get it out. Replacing the pickup will help keep anything in the oil from being sucked into your engine. It's relatively cheap.

I don't know much about gear boxes, but that damaged gear appears to be discolored. Like an on-going problem, not a single event, with friction resulting in heat. (Like Sixpack says.) Curious where this tear down takes us. Seems like there would have been some kind of indictation that the bent fork (?) was grinding up those teeth.

Last edited:
Back