Premium Text Msg * RIPOFF Alert!

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
I was just about to pay me Verizon phone bill and I noticed it was about $15 higher than usual... after reviewing the bill, I couldnt find anything other than "Data" charge of $9.99 and voice of $3.98 + tax

... I call and the customer service says I was sent one premium text msg at a cost of $9.99 and I called 411 @ $1.99 each!

Well I wont be calling 411 anymore BUT she tells me she cant refund me but I can text 28352 and type in "STOP" :angry: then I have to request a refund from the text msg company and they will send me a check, and that I can have all premium texts stopped by activating a feature on my phone that she could walk me thru but I have to be off the phone to do it ... :banghead:

My position is Verizon allowed this charge to take place they should be handling it for me!

Anyway, just thought everyone should know to check your wireless phone bill!

Last edited:
wow...FWIW?...just the other day i read some shid about Verizon having to refund somewhere's between $30M-&90M in bogus/over-charges...got all excited for wifey as she handles the family cell bills...till i found out that..

this will equate to a $2-$6 refund/credit for the 15 million customers they jacked. :banghead:

Ok, I just got off the phone with customer service again and they credited me $10 and blocked anymore "premium" msgs. ( they could have just done that from the start )

This happened to me with AT&T a few years ago. In one month, I was charged between 4.99 and 14.99 for each of roughly 15 text messages that were sent to me.

After a long talk on the phone my position was that I couldn't control incoming texts much less agree to or decline an associated fee. The text messages looked like spam to me and did not contain any information about a fee.

They said I must have signed up for a service online. I explained that I'm a very technical web developer / programmer and would not have ever signed up for or been tricked into giving up my cell number to then get myself into the mess I had going on.

After going back and forth for probably 15 minutes, I asked the manager I was talking to for his cell phone number. He asked me why. I explained that I was going to go find and then sign him up for those services. He asked me why I would do that. I said that's not the point. The point is that anyone who knows or even guesses what your (or any) cell number is could cause this all without the mobile owners knowledge or consent.

I guess that struck a nerve because within five minutes he had reversed all the charges and applied the block to everyone on my family plan.

I say fight a little harder Kent!

They always tell you no the first time.
You have make a pita out of yourself to get anything out of them .
Kento in the future don't call any 1-900 numbers or
1-800-Lonely-Guy
Then you won't get any premium text mssgs back :)

Every 2 - 3 months my wife gets a higher bill from Verizon. They keep signing her up for a premium service with the hopes she won't catch it.

Along the same line, I use Verizon for my internet and phone and I noticed an additional $15 charge on that bill. It's for some "Email Bundle LLC" crap. Something I haven't signed up for or been swindled into in any way. They tell me ( cut and paste from email)-

The practice of adding charges for products or services you did not
request is known as "cramming", and is prohibited by law. Examples of
cramming might include charges for Internet access, membership fees, fax
services, or voicemail that you did not request.

Here are some tips to help you avoid being "crammed":

* Avoid dialing unfamiliar 800 or 900 numbers
* Read all fine print before filling out contest forms or coupon offers
* Review each page of your bill carefully

Please advise if you want this block added.

So it's prohibited by law yet it shows up on my bill and then I have to request that they block it?:banghead: What a joke. Should have been done from the start. And then they tell me the company could still try to collect using other means. I can tell you that they won't be getting paid.

Back