Rode my first busa today... HUGE disappointment...please help.

lol, thanks guys... well, some of you.

I never said I was that experienced, but experienced enough to know something was wrong.

The current owner knows NOTHING about motorcycles. He bought it from a guy who used to dragrace, and judging by this guy's demeanor, I believe he never wanted to go over 9K lol.

I failed to mention this bike has a 45 tooth rear sprocket...so I should be staring at sky the whole ride right?

My point was that I was SURE busas were not supposed to run like that, but I wanted to be EXTRA SURE and needed the help of a forum who obviously knows more than suzuki about this machine. I have always loved the looks of this bike and the mystique surrounding it...

I will keep looking guys. Thank you:beerchug:

Holy crap, I've got a relatively stock 2001 and if you put a 45 tooth on the rear and clutched it up in the rpm range you'd definitely be staring at the sky.......FROM YOUR BACK. You've stumbled upon a turd. Ride another busa before deciding to buy.

You need to keep looking at Busa's. The one you have found is apparently junk. Pass that one up for a better deal.

my advice - walk away brother.
My girl is in rage at 7.5K, after 9K usually I get free trip to a moon :laugh:
walk away and look for better one.
PS
Smack that dude with your helmet for good bye.

Yea, walk away from that one and don't look back. If it was running right, you wouldn't be disappointed. Busa's-they just make you smile with glee...perma-grin, right after you twist the throttle!

Estimate how much it will cost to restore this bike, so it does what any Busa does, which is eating a Blackbird for breakfast.

Then decide if the purchase is worth your while.

Personally, I think you can do a lot better.

Not sure if you're anywhere near NC, but if so PM me and I'll let you ride mine. I can guarantee you won't have any problems at all standing it up and it's completely stock. I'm normally trying to keep it from standing up! That bike you rode is definitely not right. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it.

walk away brother there is nothing good sounding in this post. There are plenty of used busas that are in far better condition than the one you are describing

Yea, there might be a Katana motor swapped into that 2 wheeler of sluggish leftover dogturd. I had a smile ear to ear blowing past my friend's CBR1000RR today. And also remember, The Hayabusa was named after a Falcon that preys upon the Blackbird (true story).

lol, thanks guys... well, some of you.

I never said I was that experienced, but experienced enough to know something was wrong.

The current owner knows NOTHING about motorcycles. He bought it from a guy who used to dragrace, and judging by this guy's demeanor, I believe he never wanted to go over 9K lol.

I failed to mention this bike has a 45 tooth rear sprocket...so I should be staring at sky the whole ride right?

My point was that I was SURE busas were not supposed to run like that, but I wanted to be EXTRA SURE and needed the help of a forum who obviously knows more than suzuki about this machine. I have always loved the looks of this bike and the mystique surrounding it...

I will keep looking guys. Thank you:beerchug:

Run, don't walk, away from that deal. Unless you like wrenching more than you like riding, look for a bike that's ready to ride and doesn't show such major signs of needed maintenance from an abusive history.

If you like the Blackbird, you'll love the Hayabusa...when you find one worth buying.

PS: New 2008's, and even a few 2007's, are still out there in showrooms across the country. A shrewd buyer may be able to strike a great deal with a little effort.

Best of luck!

Move on brother! There's more than one busa out there. You just have to look around. Never settle for the first thing come your way and good luck.

They don't call it the #1 wonder of Motorcycles for nothing....check out the vid below:

- Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles[/url]

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
buying a used sport bike is sort of like getting married to a h00ker... everyone has had a piece and all you got is some worn out old rag when done, but you save the $200 a night fees...

Have never bought a used sport bike, doubt I ever will... just too much fun wearing them out for the next guy to work on.. :)

buying a used sport bike is sort of like getting married to a h00ker... everyone has had a piece and all you got is some worn out old rag when done, but you save the $200 a night fees...

Have never bought a used sport bike, doubt I ever will... just too much fun wearing them out for the next guy to work on.. :)

LMFAO!!!!!:rofl::rofl:

Possibly the funniest but true analogy Ive read on a vbulletin in a long time...lol...wow!!!

Thanks guys! A lot of good feedback from busa owners.. I was hoping this was more than a cult thing. I mean, people like harleys but there is no logic behind it. I see why people like Busa's...

Here is an update:

I received an angry voicemail from the dude that said, "My Bike wont start!! We need to talk!"

After trying to calm the mechanically challenged busa toting gentleman down, I deduced the following: Bike wont start. It is electrical because the starter doesnt even turn over. It is probably a faulty kickstand switch because that would also explain the sputter at high speeds (I have researched this and apparently a few others have had the same symptoms and it turned out the switch was turning on and off at high rpm due to vibes and such and acting like this bike. People replaced injectors, filters, etc to no avail until the switch was bypassed and all is well.)

I know what youre thinking... but I also saw dyno graphs posted showing a pull in timing and decrease in power due to the switch not working correctly. This would explain everything. And make me happy enough to counteroffer.

After a heated conversation, he texted me and apologized. Turns out hes not a bad guy. We talked and I told him to troubleshoot that switch. I am really curious now.

Will keep you guys updated!!! Worst case scenario, I buy a pos and swap in a built motor. (maybe snail as well).

That bike is broke! Find another and you wont be disappointed. These things are beasts, ride a cared for Busa and you will fall in love:thumbsup:

Sorry but you have yet to ride a Busa. What you rode was some piece of crap running on half a cylinder. Best thing to do is forget you ever had that experience and go ride another Busa.

LMFAO!!!!!:rofl::rofl:

Possibly the funniest but true analogy Ive read on a vbulletin in a long time...lol...wow!!!

Thanks guys! A lot of good feedback from busa owners.. I was hoping this was more than a cult thing. I mean, people like harleys but there is no logic behind it. I see why people like Busa's...

Here is an update:

I received an angry voicemail from the dude that said, "My Bike wont start!! We need to talk!"

After trying to calm the mechanically challenged busa toting gentleman down, I deduced the following: Bike wont start. It is electrical because the starter doesnt even turn over. It is probably a faulty kickstand switch because that would also explain the sputter at high speeds (I have researched this and apparently a few others have had the same symptoms and it turned out the switch was turning on and off at high rpm due to vibes and such and acting like this bike. People replaced injectors, filters, etc to no avail until the switch was bypassed and all is well.)

I know what youre thinking... but I also saw dyno graphs posted showing a pull in timing and decrease in power due to the switch not working correctly. This would explain everything. And make me happy enough to counteroffer.

After a heated conversation, he texted me and apologized. Turns out hes not a bad guy. We talked and I told him to troubleshoot that switch. I am really curious now.

Will keep you guys updated!!! Worst case scenario, I buy a pos and swap in a built motor. (maybe snail as well).

The money you'll put into that bike, purchase, paint, and repairs, you'll be better off finding a bike in better shape. It will be less expensinve in the long run.

Back