Stock muffler chop mod NO WELDING!

think it would look nicer with out mid pipes
How would i do that? not sure exactly what you mean.
I think he's referring to the "It's here" thread where the guy has the HMFs sticking out near the wing.
Like Mine
laugh.gif
...That would be a tight non fit problem there with factory cans. Factory cans have a larger Dia.

003.jpg

here is a basic drawing of how it was done with no welding. sorry for the inferior drawing but im dog tired tonight.

mufflerchop1.JPG

2nd page. post any questions and when i can keep my eyes open I'll answer to the best of my memory. Sorry i didn't take step by step pix this time.
look at the earlier posts on page 1 and you will see what i discarded, insulation piece, inner metal piece and outer aluminum case piece.

mufflerchop2.JPG

New mufflers woulda cost me $500 - $600 so chopping the stock cans and a freebie powder coating was a no brainer. not a bad look I think.
I hand cut and bent some .060" stainless steel for a marker plate holder and held it on the muffler with a band of steel I got from Pep boys for $5. Chrome acorn nuts gives a nice finish for another $3.
Anybody know how hot the mid pipe gets? will this roast the powder coating?

P4030088.JPG

Looks great. Not sure how hot they get. You can let us know.

ps....you should always have your goat in your pics....it's your trademark.
beerchug.gif

another angle, you can see the way i connected the plate bracket with the muffler by means of metal strap.
You can also see the way the mid pipe has beeen modified to kick the muffler out a few inches to clear the 330 phat tire kit.
The rear passenger pegs/muffler bracket are spaced out 1" at the mounting point to the frame and the muffler bolts are spaced out app. 2" by means of a aluminum spacer and acorn nut.

P4030086.JPG

zzwhip.gif
AM -->
thebbbusa @ Mar. 09 2008 said:
1368416[/ATTACH] AM]
think it would look nicer with out mid pipes
How would i do that? not sure exactly what you mean.
I think he's referring to the "It's here" thread where the guy has the HMFs sticking out near the wing.
Like Mine
laugh.gif
...That would be a tight non fit problem there with factory cans.  Factory cans have a larger Dia.
Thanks for the desktop background
bowdown.gif

zzwhip.gif

Re: Stock muffler chop mod NO WELDING!

I love this cheap mod and am thinking about doing it myself. I'm too on a budget. If I understand you correctly, you basically followed the instructions for the other can mod without the welding. I don't understand how you got all the innards to mount on the end cap. Please explain.

Bobby

Re: Stock muffler chop mod NO WELDING!

I love this cheap mod and am thinking about doing it myself. I'm too on a budget. If I understand you correctly, you basically followed the instructions for the other can mod without the welding. I don't understand how you got all the innards to mount on the end cap. Please explain.

Bobby

I have not seen him on here since this post back in 08. He was talking about selling the BUSA back then??? So I dont know if he is around?

you need a sticky pic of the happy goat on your busa. new license plate for you...

HPYGOAT

Back