A good alarm?

crzyfstlude

Registered
got some $$ into bike...thinking about an alarm. I saw the one with the paging system going for around 4 hundred then on ebay saw a paging system for around 2. Anyone have any personal experiences with alarms?

Scorpio sr-i900 on mine. Comes with everything and works very well. Bought mine at a local shop for $309 plus $20 for the Suz-6 plug and play harness. This is on my '11.

I have the Scorpio SR-i600 on my V-Star 1300 and a SRi-1100 (rlink) on the Hayabusa. The SR-i600 is the older version of the 900 and works pretty well. The 900 having the advantage of an RFID fob, which basically means the alarm knows that you're near and disarms the system when you start the bike. The 600 needs to deactivate the alarm with a button on the remote fob.

The 1100 is a newer unit they call it rlink and works with an iphone app or mobile web browser and lets you activate/monitor/track the location of the bike from your smartphone. It does the tracking via built in GPS and works really well. It also comes with an RFID fob. So, the 1100 is an alarm with a built in gps to track your bike in case of theft and can also track your trips and share with your friends. It will tell you the speeds at each GPS waypoints of the most recent 20 GPS segments on the mobile app or the whole trip on the rlink website. The alarm system runs about $500 without the siren/backup battery(same unit) or quick install harness. It also requires a subscription to the GPRS service (radio communication to the rlink server via cell network) that runs $10/mo.

I like the 1100 because it's pretty cool and fun to use. Some might find it a bit pricey but I like gadgets so it was worth the price for me.

Both models will serve you well and are pretty much the same as far as the innards go... shock sensor, perimeter sensor, tilt sensor, etc. The difference is that one has more features but requires a monthly cost.

Last edited:
jeez u guys sure know ur stuff. Thanks for posting..it seems like lots of people put money in their bikes but few get some kind of alarm/tracking. I dont want to overlook that so thnks very much

If a thief wants it bad enough, a bike can be in the back of a pick-up truck in seconds....but we all already know this. FWIW, I use 2 disc locks (for front and rear rotors), costs about $15 each. ROADLOK also has many fans here. If I have some extra $$ someday, would also like to get an alarm :)

Last edited:
What kromdom said ^^

Once your bike becomes the subject of a thief's attention it's as good as gone.

No matter how hightech the alarm or quality of the lock, they are only deterrents. A patient thief may set off an alarm multiple times to guage your reaction time and desensitize you to it going off. Others just grab and go, they'll have plenty of time to find and disarm any alarm after clearing the scene of the crime.

You may have seen this but here is a CBR600RR being lifted in broad daylight on a busy city street.

Very true about thieves just taking what they like. To make it a bit more difficult the alarm is a good deterrent. Also disc locks and always, always, always lock the steering. Slowing them down is possible but ultimately won't stop them.

The best theft prevention is a .40/.45 on your side and your bike in your sights at all times.

jeez! thx for posting video. Never saw that one before. Some people have nothin to lose i guess. As far as an alarm, anything to slow them down works. And its a glock 29 10mm by the way. Like you all said though, nothing will stop a determined criminal.

I have unfortunately had too much stuff stolen over the years. I would love to setup a bait bike and wire it with enough explosive material to eliminate the thief. If that happened a few times, theives would think twice. The law in the old west was right: horse theives got hung!!!

On a separate note, i would like to install mine fileds on the borders to control illegal immigration. I bet it would certainly help!!

Sorry for the diversion, just had to vent!!

I keep my bikes locked up with the steering lock and two disc locks in my locked garage. I keep them in th egarage in a way that makes them very time consuming to drag out. I keep the keys for the bikes and locks well hidden inside the locked house.

I am thinking about an alarm for when I go on overnight road trips. I usually try to get a hotel/motel room on the ground floor so I can bring the bike in the room to keep it safe!

a good alarm? R-link. it is the scorpio r-900 with gps tracking and an iphone app that can control the alarm's features over (what is essentially t-mobile's) 3g network.
the bikes current location can be accessed from any computer connected to the internet, or any of today's smartphones with a web browser (or the iphone app of course).

Last edited:
IMHO an alarm is a complete waste of time.. save your money on a good lock and never let it leave your eye....

The Scorpio I had on my 1000 could be set so sensitive that the wind would set it off:laugh: but I adjusted it and it worked great. Of course as said, if someone wants your bike bad enough, they're gonna get it. A few seconds heads up while someones tryin to grab your bike could make all the difference though. An alarm should also make your insurance company have no choice but to pay up, should the worst case happen. Lojack or a good tracking device placed in a hard to get to location can also buy you some time if your bike's taken.

What kromdom said ^^

Once your bike becomes the subject of a thief's attention it's as good as gone.

No matter how hightech the alarm or quality of the lock, they are only deterrents. A patient thief may set off an alarm multiple times to guage your reaction time and desensitize you to it going off. Others just grab and go, they'll have plenty of time to find and disarm any alarm after clearing the scene of the crime.

You may have seen this but here is a CBR600RR being lifted in broad daylight on a busy city street.

Wow! It took them 30 seconds to grab that bike. With my alarm I would have known about it soon as the first dude stood next to the bike, if I could get back to the bike in 30 seconds I could kick ass. I wonder if an alarm went off, if they would have continued lifting the bike?

I went a much more affordable system than Scorpio, microwave perimeter, shock, immobilizer, pager and a few more features for around $160, but no plug ins, one needs to be able to figure out a wiring diagram. Internatrix.

internatrix tw-1000
all the features of the high end alarms and only 160 bucks shipped!
i love mine and highly recomend one if you need a good system!:thumbsup:

Back