Age Old Busa Debate

Age Old Busa Debate - TO CHROME or Not TO CHROME!!

• Chrome

Votes: 95 99.0%
  • No Chrome

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Polish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just wax it and ride BEEYOTCH!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rev,

I will be in Lakeland for the wheelie school the weekend of 8 april.

T

<!--EDIT|LongbowIP
Reason for Edit: None given...|1073749108 -->

My bike has only been polished except for the grab bar. I am getting tired of polishing footrest planning on sending them to get chromed.

Don't chrome or polish! Powdercoat!

Chrome adds weight and Jap bikes are made to flex....yes, even the rims. Chrome doesn't flex and will start to crack over the years. That is a fact not fiction. It also adds weight. I worked for a dealer that sent a lot of stuff to be chromed and saw all this first hand. The chroming shops say they only add a few ounces, but the frames always felt 20 lbs heavier.

I polished a frame and rims on my Kawi a few years back and If I didn't polish it every few days it would oxidize, what a bitch! No thanks!

It is your decision, but I try and learn from others mistakes.

Powder coating has made a lot of advances lately and their finishes are chrome like. It is also tuff as nails.

Good luck in your decision.

Chrome chrome chrome It goes with any color even copper&black.But I also agree to each his/her own..the more bikes i see different the more ideas I get. beerchug.gif

hayabusa_006.jpg

Chrome is cool, But i have seen a few bikes with powdercoating that looked real smooth..... Chrome just seems a lot easier to get ahold of.

Chrome will get the looks. Have two bikes and a crowd, they'll be eyeing the chrome one.
The rider must appreciate the extra attention. Sport bike that's chrome is unique. Would likely get more looks then a cruiser.
Personally I'd rather go under the radar, then be noticed too much. The dark Horse with unseen high preformance, style.

REV right on ! check out www.titaniumfinishing.com I plan ont sending out some stuff to them. They did my Honda a few years ago and man it was HOT!!!
I thought titanium coating some parts might be interesting so I checked that site. Looks like they can only titanium coat a titanium substrate. They can anodize and nickle plate other substrates but the titanium plating only shows to work on titanium or titanium alloys. Are you planning to have your parts nickle plated or anodized?

Here's a link to their page that shows what types of substrates each process works on and the benefits...

http://www.titaniumfinishing.com/page08.htm

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074106005 -->

Nothing to add weight!! I first wanted to chrome everything, but I now see that polished frame will be it for me. I do have the chrome bar ends, but that's it. cool.gif

There are some Firearm companies that have developed some pretty awesome high-tech coatings. Durable and I believe that there is a company in Florida I think that does a Ti coating on Desert Eagles that is really sweet... lemme see if I can find a pic...

I have a custom with more chrome than one can imagine and it is a bitch to clean. it's an all day job to clean it up. No chrome, just wash and ride! smile.gif

I'ld say only chrome it if you plan to keep it. Chroming gets expensive and you ARE NOT going to get your investment back out of it other than personal satisfaction.

It looks great, mine is chromed from the top triple tree cover to the rear grab bar ... and I plan on keeping it for a very long time cool.gif

To each his own, chrome looks good but where do you stop. On a sport bike I prefer the racer look. Titanium, magnesium or anodizing if it is not lighter, stronger or makes it go faster I'm not interested.

Chrome for YOU ,if thats what you want ,then go for it , but definity not to impress anyone or to fit in . cool.gif

tada4.JPG

I did polish on my black and silver '03. I saw a show the other day, and they said that chroming your windscreen adds about 10 pounds. Do the math. If you're into actually riding hard, the Chrome just doesn't add up (or maybe it does...in poundage). I'm with you, Grabntwist, lightweight stuff like carbon fiber is the way to go. My cf front fender is ordered...

i like everything crome,black,coated, polished,even dirty so long as it goes thats what motorcycling means to me 100 mile per hour wheelies look good with a primered bikes wink.gif

<!--EDIT|orangebusa??
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074605235 -->

i like everything crome,black,coated, polished,even dirty so long as it goes thats what motorcycling means to me 100 mile per hour wheelies look good with a primered bikes wink.gif
A true scholar! No wonder, from PA just like me. I like it all, as long as its go 2 wheels. Personally, I keep chrome on my Harley and performance on my Busas... just me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back