Arrrrggghhhhh...what a freakin mess

OB_Lofty Abuse

Registered
Ok... so I'm stupid.

Get this, I always park my Busa indoors.
I drive it up through the front door, through the kitchen and into my Florida room.
Thats were I keep it. I like it indoors and in the air conditioning.

Cool so far...right? Well tonight I get the brilliant idea to clean the air filter out.
I take off the seat, unbolt the tank and lift it up. While I'm putting the support rod in, one of the f*cking fuel hoses pops off. The fuel sprays onto my hand. Well I'm a little startled and I wonder, "what the hell is that?"
I jerk my hand up and splatter fuel in my eye.
O.K. NOW I've gone and done it. The fuel burns my eye and I drop the tank down, meanwhile fuel is spilling all over the bike and onto the floor.
I'm scrabbling to grab a cloth to catch the fuel, my eye is burning, I cant figure out where the fuel is coming from.....ARARRAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!
Finally I stick the hose back on. I try and clean up the mess, the fuel is seeping into the grout of my tile, the house stinks like gas and I'm thinking that any second, sompins gonna ignite these fumes...BLAMO!!
I couldn't be so lucky.
O.K. I finish cleaning up what I can, I even drag in the garden hose and spray the room down to wash the gas out the back.
One problem...I'm a total idiot, remember? I cant figure out how to get the little coily spring back over the hose and the clamp, which came off, back on the end, at least not with one hand and not without spillin more fuel. I get another brilliant idea.
Since I'm a complete moron and I can't find any kind of tank fuel shut off valve (my 98 zx6r had one, great little device...huh?)
I opt for the ingenius scheme of unbolting the tank, disconnecting evrything, pulling the hoses off and makin a break out the back door. I figure I can get the tank to this 5 gallon barrel I got to catch the gas. Let it all drain out and then put the tank back on. I know there cant be a lot of gas left, at least 2 gallons ended up on my floor..right?

Well here we go, I disconnect everything, open the back door, unbolt the tank, pull the hoses off and make a mad dash for the bucket waiting on my back porch. Perfect plan...right? HHAHAHAAAAA...life is cruel.

It seems that gasoline is VERY slippery on tile...well as you can imagine...I never made it out the back door.
SLIP CRASH BANG....on my back with a leakin tank on my stomach. God knows I wasnt droppin that tank...I dont care if I caught it with my face.

I finally got it all taken care of and hooked back up. My house stinks like gas, my back is KILLING me and I have a headache the size of Texas from the fumes.

Well, at least I didnt break anything on the bike. There has to be a better way to hold those hoses on instead of those cheap *** clamps. How bout some braided lines with threaded ends, SOMETHING more reliable.

UGGHHHH!

Lofty, I pasted your story in an email to my friend, here's his response(FUNNY);

That is a ****ING HILARIOS STORY DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM LAUAGHING MY *** OFF!!!!!! AHHHHAHAHHAAHHAH that is a classic story dude.... you are nuts.....
I had a few spills too.. I picked up a big mac and was driving yesterday.. had the thing sitting on my lap... one the phone with alan..making a left onto 285.. the mac slides off my lap.. in between the seat and the console.. lettuce,, burger meat. tomato.. the whole thing in pieces right next and now under me.. I smelled that ****in burger ALL THE WAY TO NY..thats 14 and a half hours>> ((I drove to NY yesterday.. arrived at 4:30 this morning..))
THEN>> I take a piss in the empty cup,,, while driving 90+ MPH.. (somewhere in VA) all goes well.. get to the gas station.. pour out the piss..((I fertilized the sickly looking bush next to the pump)).. decide to keep the.. 'ever-so-handy cup' and thought I should rinse it out with the bottled water I have... put the cup on the floor of my car?? WHY? poured water into it and it fell over.. now I have and stinking 10 hour old big mac, and a puddle of rinsed piss water right under me... slight odor in the car.. what a ****ing drive up here.... it's not quite as bad as I make it out it to be.. I was able to clean it all out pretty well.. just a story..
I doesn't compare to your story.... lay off the crack!

for any of you that dont know there are 2 gas plugs that come with the bike they are under the rear seat on the right side great story though

I don't think I want to be the next one with a story like that. Mine popped off already, but I was fortunate enough to get my index finger tip onto the fuel tank fitting in about a half a second, and once I had figured what had happened and what needed to happen, it only took me about another half a second to get it back on so the mess was minimal. I think I'll go buy some screw type hose clamps tomorrow.

Lofty,
I hope you report it to the transportation safety admin. The same thing happened to me, and I didn't think it was funny. Someday, if it hasn't happened yet, someones going to get killed! Either by fumes igniting or having it come off just when your sweeping through a right hander.......... I used fuel injection hose clamps bought at napa. .75 a piece. Now I don't worry anymore :-) Still awaiting the paper work for my complaint however, might give them another ring..........

You know Bike Nut.....I was thinking about that.

I mean its funny in retrospect... I didnt' get hurt and the bike didnt suffer either.
However, what if I had just shut the bike down? Would hot exhaust be enough to ignite the gas? I have no doubt that had something ignited that fuel... I would be dead..no sh*t.

Damn scary stuff over something that is so easy to correct.
I love my bus, but theres no excuse for cheap sh*t like that. I'm gonna look into replacing the stock lines with some Russel braided line and aluminum fittings.

Eewwwwww, .....now I'm scared, I coulda died!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

[This message has been edited by Lofty Abuse (edited 14 June 2000).]

Busa2,

I was woundering what those 2 plugs were under the seat. Is this in the service manual? Any thing else about this compartment of interest?

It was a funny story however! The numbers to contact are in your manual near the end... Something should be done,and the only way is to do something. I replaced the clamps right away before i rode again.... I was scared that ity would come off while riding and get on the rear tire causing a serious accident!! Be surte to look at the hoses where they connect down at the filter assy. Mine was half way off as well. Glad nothing happened, but someday it will to somebody. Having to be careful when lifting the tank is just an excuse for poor design.
I am an auto tech. been one for 16 yrs. and never saw anything like this on a car! This situation is magnified, being it is a two wheeler. As i said look ath the other lines, and make sure that they are secure!! Stay safe!

Busa2, damn I couldn't figure what the hell those were, I thought maybe for biting on over 185! thanks

great story! had me rollin! hey, dont worry about the house, as long as you didnt drop that $500 tank its all good! I once was talking on the phone to my girlfriend, while trying to put my 1100 up on my swingarm stand and the bike fell over.CRASH! i started yelling and screaming at her, then hung up on her (like it was her fault!)...then i just looked at bike laying there, and decided i would leave it until a friend could help me pick it up (i had a broken leg at the time). I then realized that

Hey guys there is a fuel shut off on the Busa!!! If you look at the front of the petcock you'll see a round knob with a slit in it. You can take a pair of needle nose pliers and turn that and it will shut your fuel off...

gas was leaking out!CRAP! I just about pulled every muscle in my one good leg and back out getting it back upright.. got rid of cheesy lockhart stand and bought a pitbull with some spools..much safer!-of course, girlfriend is still at fault for calling.....
-later

and don't forget to clamp off the return side or it will still flow.
Also don't forget to turn it on or you will burn up the fuel pump that is why they did not want it shut off

That has to be one of the funniest stories ive heard, thanks for brightening up my day! I can just imagine the chaos!

Six hours later....house still smells like gasoline. I need a freakin garage!

Any advice on getting gasoline smell outa tile grout?
I scrubbed with a broom and soapy water, washed it all out the back door, left the florida rooms windows open and the fan runnin.
Still stinks.

I shoulda joined a chess club.

Ouch, it's a funny story to read, as I'm sure one day you'll look back on this one and laugh it up. But, whew, what a nightmare. Glad there wasn't anything that could light up the gas fumes while you were indoors!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That was GREAT!
This kid at the dyno shop did the same thing with my blue, dropped about 1/2 tank into the dyno, he was freaking OUT! Took him 1/2 hour to mop up the mess and air out the dyno room with the fans all on.
I replaced those crappy clamps with reg. hose clamps after that. Lofty you're definitely not the first so don't be so hard on yourself. As I've said before, I cannot believe they use stupid lil clamps like that on the fuel lines of an $11K bike. suzcheapo?

Kurt

Back