Avoiding backfires with new pipe.

OK DP. You are right. Talked to my local Zook dealer. The mechanic has a Busa. He also said the PAIR must go. Reason: Reduced backpressure affects the combustion in the exhaust headers, and as a result KABOOM.

I'll stop being stubborn now. Maybe...

Next thread: Should I buy a world beating 12 or R1?

KENNBUSA the address for Chuck at Cyclestuff is turbo1300@cybercyclestuff.com

You don't need the PAIR block-off plates. You can just sink #12 self-tapping Robertson metal screws into the 4 holes with a driver on a socket wrench. Cut the screws down to 1/2" shank length and put Loctite red on them. This is how race teams do it.

I sealed the pipes up with Ultra Copper high heat sealant.

To significantly reduce backfiring until you remove the PAIR system, take 5 minutes to block off the large hose that enters your airbox at the bottom right rear. Just pull the hose off, duct tape the neck closed and shove the hose back on.

Thanks Pete Your the man. Read lot's of your post and just really appreciate some one as helpful and knowledgable as you are pete. I have a computer business so in the future if you need any computer equipment or help let me know and any hardware you need for your PC will be heavillly discounted. Thanks.

Dirty Pete when you put the ultra high heat coper sealent on to the pipe to the exhaust collar for better sealing was there an amount that you recommended or how much to put on. Thanks.

CanuckBusa , well , according to our local Kawa fans you`re spot on with that little dab at them. They claim some pretty impressive figures for that 12 thing , fumed by the fact that the MCN guy tested the first 12 right here in SA. As I posted previously though , some reliable industry sources who happen to be good friends of mine have something else to say about the so called Busa beater , and best of all they are all Kawa fans !!

I hear what you guys are saying about our backfire problem , and in fact picked up some pretty useful stuff about the busa on this site. I did seal off the ram air tubes , did not ride the yet , will do this afternoon. I am however ( and this sounds silly) not too dam sure that I know exactly where to locate tha PAIR valve , how to "kill" it , and the exact location of all the tubes that Dirty Pete is talking about. Need some detail from the experts !!

Dirty Pete Just finnish putting my Yosh Tri-oval full sytem on and my system backfires and I am going to block of the pair but I need a number for cyclestuff to get the plates if you have the number for them I would appreciate it and what did you do to seal the pipe to the exhaust port collars. Thanks.

Thanks Pete I pluged just the Hose to the airbox and no more back fire and that's with out removing the PAIR system completely. I Used A allen bolt withe the top part larger than the tube then zipped tied it tight and plugged the hose back to the airbox and no more kaboomy on backing of the thorttle any more.

Dirty Pete

Saw the large hose bottom right , will seal it soonest , just tell me what the purpose of that would be ?? ( The hose I mean ? )

The big hose is the PAIR system's source of fresh, cool, filtered air to supply to the exhaust ports.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 19 March 2000).]

I am about to do the same Kennbusa. Dirty Pete , just another question since you`re the technical wizard : I picked up somewhere on the boards that by just installing a system ( Titanium Acropovic in my case ) without any further modifications/alterations you are running the risk that the bike will run too lean since the FI would not compensate and could lead to engine damage ?? Your thoughts on that ?? Last question , if you cut off the fresh air from the PAIR system , would it damage the PAIR valve , since I may need it later ?? Thanx for your informative views !

Speedster: Disuse shouldn't damage your PAIR system. Putting a pipe on won't cause any problems prior to getting yourself remapped, as long as the pipe is properly installed. Your stock black box can adapt to it. In fact my Akrapovic with box cut needs to be -5 on the top end. That's slightly leaner than stock i.e. it ran rich with the pipe installed.

For what it is worth, I installed the Two Brothers 4-2-1 exhaust and left the Pair on. I have not had any backfires and the bike runs great. I have not modified any other part on the bike and I am very satisfied with its performance. If I blocked the Pair would I see any performance gains?
Thanks

Dirty Pete

Is there any truth in the rumours that by just fitting a system (titanium Acropovic) you will loose substantially on top end ? From what I could gather my Busa seems to be 6 mph slower after fitting the pipe. I did still not do any mapping , just sealed the Ram air tubing as you sugested , seems to be a definite lost in top speed , am I dreaming ??

??????????????? SPEEDSTER: Obviously, you should be picking up power especially at peak. Sumpin's wrong. Get thee to a dyno tuner.

I bet you find your fuel mixture is way off in the top end. A tuner with a Yosh box can put you right in 20 minutes for $30 in Canada.

JEFF: No backfires with 2 Bros...interesting. Suggests 2 Bros has decided to maintain back pressure similar to the stock pipes in order to hold power in the low and mid ranges. Is that what a dyno shows on your pipe?

Back