Bike limiting revs, 7k-9k

jpierce1991

Registered
Bike will start fine. Pulls to redline is every gear... up to about 165 mph on my most daring run. But after roughly 30 minutes it hangs around 8500 at full throttle. If you roll it back a tad it will pick back up. It still won't rev to redline though. Never had FI light even when pinned and bucking at full throttle. Did the dealer wire jumper, no codes... even while it's riden and breaking up.

2009 bike I picked up at a dealer. Had been sitting for a while. Opened the tank, rusty. Cleaned all that out. Did an external filter, new fuel pump. Ran techron then Seafoam through numerous tanks. Threw on another external incase the backflush didn't get it all out of the internal. Still having issues. Could it be an electrical issue. Is it possible the stator or rectifier are getting hot and causing a voltage drop? Never had an issues starting the bike. I would have thought it is was a fueling issue it wouldn't run fine for as long as it does before problems arise. It does it like clockwork.

Added; Forgot to mention I did jump the kickstand switch hoping it was the problem. No difference.

Bike will start fine. Pulls to redline is every gear... up to about 165 mph on my most daring run. But after roughly 30 minutes it hangs around 8500 at full throttle. If you roll it back a tad it will pick back up. It still won't rev to redline though. Never had FI light even when pinned and bucking at full throttle. Did the dealer wire jumper, no codes... even while it's riden and breaking up.

2009 bike I picked up at a dealer. Had been sitting for a while. Opened the tank, rusty. Cleaned all that out. Did an external filter, new fuel pump. Ran techron then Seafoam through numerous tanks. Threw on another external incase the backflush didn't get it all out of the internal. Still having issues. Could it be an electrical issue. Is it possible the stator or rectifier are getting hot and causing a voltage drop? Never had an issues starting the bike. I would have thought it is was a fueling issue it wouldn't run fine for as long as it does before problems arise. It does it like clockwork.
Welcome.....

If it was electrical, you'd be getting a flashing FI light...

It definitely sounds like fueling to me...how do the injectors look?

How is the fuel pressure?

Any mods done to the bike?

Any fuel management systems (PC, Bazzaz, etc)?

Check your external fuel filters, some won't give the amount of flow necessary when the bike is at WOT...I had an issue similar on a bike when I put an external filter on it....I took the filter off and the bike ran perfect...I suspected the filter was limiting flow too much.

It has delkevic slip-ons, stock ecu, everything else is stock. I hadn't pulled injectors to test fire them or check fuel rail pressure. That'll be the next step I suppose. I just didn't think the injectors would fire fine for a while then plug and then clear back after cooling the bike. Some rust grit tumbling in the fuel rail?

Just reread your last bit about the external filter. The bike was doing this prior to tooling on it any. I'll also check to ensure my bypass mod actually did bypass the in tank filter. I did chris' drill job into the stock filter housing then backflushed.

Last edited:
It has delkevic slip-ons, stock ecu, everything else is stock. I hadn't pulled injectors to test fire them or check fuel rail pressure. That'll be the next step I suppose. I just didn't think the injectors would fire fine for a while then plug and then clear back after cooling the bike. Some rust grit tumbling in the fuel rail?
Could even have a bad injector....to be sure you should test them and then change out the screens and o rings....

Maybe change the spark plugs too, sometimes they get gummed up from sitting and can act up when pushed into full power....

7/10 times start with the fuel pump or filter.
Filter may be blocked restricting flow.
Next move to the fuel pump, especially a 2009. Probably crap at this point

Back