Busa Questions?

Dark|LoTuS

Registered
Ok guys and gals, I'm new to this forum and I'm sure that you have been asked this question a billion times before.  I have fallen in love with the Hayabusa since it was avaliable to buy in the US.  But here is my question.  I have never owned a bike.  And I have only driven a couple in my life.  Would it be stupid for me to go out an purchase one?  Busa that is.  My best friend did just that and is having a ball on his `04 Busa.  Just like me, he never rode a motorcycle, much less one with that much power.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

DLot,
There are several opinions about this, many can be found in the links below.  My thought is this.  If you have already decided that you are going to get one, then no one else's opinion will make a difference to you.  Being me, I'm glad a Busa wasn't my first bike - I'm sure I would have killed myself out of a lack of respect for the machine.  If you do get one, get good gear (just in case), and take a safety course - it can help make you a better rider and get you a discount on insurance.  For any more than that read from these links:

Whatever you decide, welcome to the boards - I hope to be seeing you around.

Oh, and I just thought of this topic people are discussing the bikes they've owned prior to a Busa...might help ya out as well.

Shawn

<!--EDIT|MC MUSTANG
Reason for Edit: "forgot the stinkin' link"|1107210134 -->

Welcome to the board. It really is a hard call to make. I really think people would be better off learning to ride something smaller but that doesn't work anymore seeing as how all bikes are rockets now days. No matter what you get just was common sense and respect the bike.

I have had a lot of fast bikes over the years and let me tell you the Hayabusa is a handfull!!! Hayabusa for First bike? I don't know if that a good thing....But i can tell you if you buy a smaller bike you will not own it long before it's doesn't have enough power.... So i guess you should go get the busa first and not waste money ...If you do get a busa , take your time before you give it hell...Really you need a good year of slower driving... Last thing the busa will flat kick your a$$ and put a bad hert on you faster than you can say HELP ME...After 32 years of riding the Busa scares the hell out of me ..Lee..
smile.gif

Thanks for the advice guys.  I'm about to go ahead and invest in a professional riding suit, and a great helmet.  And possibly some toilet paper if i soil myself too much..
biggrin.gif

I say do NOT get a busa as your first bike. Get something no bigger than a 600 and ride the heck out of it. Put 5-10k miles on it before you even think of moving up. I can't tell you how many times I've wished I had went with a 600 to start with. Learn to ride and then get a busa. You'll thank yourself later, trust me...

Oh, and what part of Georgia are you from?
rock.gif

LOL at the busa as a first bike.

Would you give a learner driver the keys to a McLaren F1 ?

I think not.

mox

I say do NOT get a busa as your first bike. Get something no bigger than a 600 and ride the heck out of it. Put 5-10k miles on it before you even think of moving up. I can't tell you how many times I've wished I had went with a 600 to start with. Learn to ride and then get a busa. You'll thank yourself later, trust me...

Oh, and what part of Georgia are you from?
rock.gif
I have to agree with BT. You may be OK, but the odds are not in your favor. Almost all of us have had those new rider brain farts, and it would be a shame scratch up or total a shiny new Busa (or yourself). I'd much rather take my chances on a used mid-90's 600. Light, sporty, plenty of speed, but much more forgiving in a pinch. The bad thing about the Busa is it want's to be run. No matter how old, responsible or mature you are, you'll eventually succumb to the temptation to really open it up from time to time. Will your instincts be ready by then? Remember, there's often no time to think, and you'll find the reactions you make are in direct correlation to your experience. It could be the difference maker.

The question is more about your judgement and control.  Do you have the disciplne to take it really easy for a couple months.  Do you make good decisions by yourself/in a group.

If you have the correct judgement and disciplne, the Busa makes a great first bike.  Problem is most people don't.  Especially 16-30 aged.  

You can kill yourself on a scooter just as easily as a superbike.  You have the controls, and its your decision.

Some say start with a 600cc or smaller. You can ride the Busa like a 600cc if you make yourself.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107222483 -->

Must agree with Charlesbusa, although a 600 will run 150 plus if you like....I say don't get a bike at all unless you have the self-control. If you do, the busa is much nicer ride all around.

If you decide the busa is for you, drop me a line...I'll make you a smoken deal on this looker right here!
tounge.gif

busa100.jpg

Bullet and dbusa, i live in Augusta, Ga. From reading what yall are saying, I'm going to go ahead and forgo the buying of the hayabusa atm. I just got back from a local bike shop and was looking at some CBR FRi's. Nice bikes IMO. And they seem to weigh half as much as the busa. Not to mention half the price. The 600 looks to be fast also. But that isn't why I want a bike. I think taht reason why I wanted a Busa is because of my size. I sat on the CBR F4i and felt like I dwarfed it. I'm nto that big of a guy, but it looked like a micro machine. I guess it was even stupid for me to considering purchasing a 1299cc bike for my first..Hey you live and learn. I'm just glad that I talked to some people that know what they are talking about. Unlike the idiots at the Motorcycle Dealership. Talking to some of my friends around here say it's all in the wrist. You can be hurt on a 50cc bike as bad as a 1299cc.
wink.gif

Welcome to the board. I bought a new 2002 GSXR 600 for my first bike. I rode it for 2 seasons and then bought a 2004 Busa. Definitely glad that I started out on a 600. I remember when I was contemplating my first bike that I was thinking about a 1000. Glad I didn't do that. A 600 has plenty of power for a beginner bike, probably a little too much.

Bullet and dbusa, i live in Augusta, Ga.  From reading what yall are saying, I'm going to go ahead and forgo the buying of the hayabusa atm.  I just got back from a local bike shop and was looking at some CBR FRi's.  Nice bikes IMO.  And they seem to weigh half as much as the busa.  Not to mention half the price.  The 600 looks to be fast also.  But that isn't why I want a bike.  I think taht reason why I wanted a Busa is because of my size.  I sat on the CBR F4i and felt like I dwarfed it.  I'm nto that big of a guy, but it looked like a micro machine.  I guess it was even stupid for me to considering purchasing a 1299cc bike for my first..Hey you live and learn.  I'm just glad that I talked to some people that know what they are talking about.  Unlike the idiots at the Motorcycle Dealership.  Talking to some of my friends around here say it's all in the wrist.  You can be hurt on a 50cc bike as bad as a 1299cc.  
wink.gif
Haaaaaa brain cells !! that's something you don't see to often these days in the younger ones... I'm proud of you grass hopper!!!! By the way if you do get a busa and i'm sure you will some day , new busas come with a change of undies under the seat from the factory... Welcome to the web site ..Lee..

hmmm, I'snt the kazilonth time this issue has been talked about
tounge.gif
Anyway, my suggestions as before... Buy any nike that you wish to buy! Just remember to -

a) Get yourself good riding gear
b) Take a good safety course
c) Dont try to be "smart" on your machine... before you fully get used to it.

Ride safe, and welcome to the "Best Place on the Net - hayabusa.org" Dark|LoTuS

smile.gif

Get the 600,ride it for a couple of years then go for the cc's.While the busagenerally is smooth as silk,its a very large bike! I would like to say if you keep it moving, you're gonna be ok,but thats not the case. You need to be very familiar with the handling of this machine and what its like to bring it to a stop in a hurry after wicking it up! Just be carefull what ever you do,its your body that absorbs alot of impact in an accident here vs a car.???

Back