Busa Questions?

Well I don't know if it will help but I had like 5 hours riding experience on a zx7 and then bought my first bike being the busa that I have now. I have put 11,000 miles on it since march and have really learned a lot about riding on it. It was my first bike and I have NO REGRETS! Hope you get what you like to.

Man get what you want. i wanted a busa but opted for the katana. i threw away about 2500 bucks after i got used to the power in about 3mths. I think your posting cause in the back of your mind you want permission. Hell its your money spend it how you want. If you go buy a busa today we will still be your friends tomorrow
cool.gif

Okay, you'll hear a lot of different opinions. Most of those that say "no, it's too much bike for a first bike", you will notice are from riders with X number years of riding experience. I think most of them may have started on smaller bikes.

Do what your heart (or groin) tells you. It CAN be done. Case and point: ME of coarse.

Busa is my very first bike. Got her back in March of last year brand spanking new. I got about 12,000 miles on her already. "Chicken strip" down to less than a quarter of inch with noticable scuffing to the edge. I ride it almost every day as a commuter 25 miles to my office and 25 miles back in one of the worst traffic congested city in the world, Los Angeles. Oh, and finally 1 speeding ticket on the FWY when I was up in Ventura County. And yes, I've gotten my foot wet literally by riding a straight 80ish miles in a moderate storm from Oxnard CA back home.

Yes, I dropped her before, but at zero to slow speed drops (in the dealer's parking lot that very first day in fact!). Nothing cracked, scratches that will soon be buffed out and repainted for free (sister's BF owns a bodyshop). A lot of close calls (knock on wood).

So if you want it, get it! Oh, but I DO recommend the MSF riding coarse. PUT the $200 - $250 down for it. What you learn there may save your skin, bike and/or life later. I believe I got out of a few of those very close calls because I remember the training in the back of my mind when it happened.

If you got wrist / self control, and if you and the busa is meant to be... She won't hurt you as long as you don't disrespect her.

The 600 F4i is a smarter choice for a beginner.
You don't want to have your nut sack handed back to you by the biggest, baddest, sportbike ever produced.
It will just turn you off to riding.

Take a good riding course no matter what you buy. Don't be a weekend warrior and expect to become good. Take it slow, no night riding no high traffic riding at first. Treat yourself as a rookie learn learn learn. Big question you have to ask yourself, even the pros start in AA before they go to the BIGS.

I say get it if you don't mind dropping it on the ground a few times lacking any real world experience balancing or straddling a motocycle. otherwise start with a practice bike for a few months

I like that one dudes advice: you don't learn to drive in a 'race car'

I say get it if you don't mind dropping it on the ground a few times
I have to agree with this. Laid my Katana down 4 times and havent dropt the busa yet. Also yiou dont learn to drive in a lambo or porsch because you cant afford to trash them. hell if i could have afforded it my first car would have been a vette but since i was broke as hell i settled for the 88 corisca.

If you never ever rode a motorcycle I probably would not recommend a Busa but as long as you can control yourself I say why not? Eventually you will end up on a liter bike or Busa so why pospone the inevitable.......

To all of you that say "It's all in the wrist.", or "It's all about self control."... horse crap!
rock.gif
First of all, to learn self control and your limits on a bike of any kind you have to push the limits. If he has never had a motorcycle he has no idea what kind of control to exercise. How much twist of the right wrist is too much? He wouldn't know. Could be that the first time he experiments with that, he overtwists on a cold tire, or in a corner and busts his butt. EXPENSIVE way to learn if you ask me.

Also, how many of you actually started on a busa as your very first street bike? I did... I probably had less than a few hundred miles under my butt on other folks' bikes on the street when I bought Train. To be totally honest about it I have to say that the busa's forgiving nature to a small degree, and moreso just pure dumb luck pulled me out more often than skill or common sense did in the first six months on a busa. I doubt very, VERY much that anyone else who started on a busa could honestly say that they never got in over their head in a way that they wouldn't, or couldn't have on a 600.

And yes, a 600 will hit 150 plus, but it won't try to rip you out of the seat and spit you onto the road gettin' there. The landscape gradually speeds by on a smaller bike, where on the busa (and/or a litre) the landscape WARPS by almost instantly when you twist up. It's soooooooooooooooooo easy to be at warp speed before you even realize it on a busa that you can end up in trouble, hurt, or dead before you can make the decision to roll off the throttle.

Trust me, I haven't always held this view of it. When I was a newbie myself and starting on a busa I too used all the same "excuses" and one liners (Self control... All in the wrist... It only goes as fast as you tell it too... yadda yadda yadda...) to defend my decision of having a busa as my first bike. I also told newbies those same things. It's funny how as the miles stack on and my riding experience grows I see more and more what the older, more experienced guys were talkin' about when they said what I'm saying now. Someone in this thread even mentioned that it's usually the older guys with X number of years and that started out on smaller bikes that argue against a busa as a first bike... Well, hmmmm..... Maybe those years of experience give them a little credibility... ya think?
rock.gif

Funny as it sounds, the more miles I get under my butt, the more appealing a smaller bike becomes to me. At one point I considered selling the busa and getting a 600 so I could go back to basics and concentrate on learning to ride really good. As much as I loved Train, and as much as I love the 10, I still wish sometimes that I had a 600 to ride for a while. It only takes one day of riding the twisties with a few more experienced guys on smaller, less poowerful bikes and playing catch up in the straights to make you realize that in the corners it's all about the rider.
biggrin.gif

Lastly, besides all the power and speed points in this arguement, I have to say that bike weight was one of the biggest things that bothered me about the busa. By the time I sold her I was ok with it, but wasn't exactly happy about throwing it around in the twisties. To begin with though, the weight and size of the busa intimidated the heck out of me. I feel like that really slowed my learning curve down. I was reluctant to practice the low speed, parking lot speed stuff for fear of dropping and scuffing the busa.

A heavy bike isn't the ideal platform to develope motorcycle balance and confidence on. If you don't believe me, just take a look at the clowns you see wobbling around on those brand new, big fat Hardleys at intersections. You can tell which ones don't have a background in riding, and which ones just bought their instant image maker and don't have a clue. Same on a busa. You can tell who bought their busa as an image enhancer and who the real riders are. That goes for any bike really, but I can't explain to you in words how much lighter the 10 feels than the busa and how much easier it balances at low speeds than the busa did.

There are so many excellent reasons to start on a smaller bike and work your way up. Some of them are just "understood" by the folks who have rode both and probably can't even be explained to someone who's just starting out in riding. I have outlined a lot of differences between the 10 and the busa, but truth be known, they're so different that I'd have to write a book to ever get close to covering all of the differences and that's if I could even find them all. I know how different they are and can feel it, but just can't put all of it into words. My seat time on a 600 is limited to a few runs on my bud's 6RR but that was enough to be able to know that the 6RR and the 10R feel as different as the busa and 10.

It's funny how differently I view this topic now as opposed to how I viewed it back when I was gettin' started on the busa. If you read the old threads you will see my old, outdated arguments for the busa as a first bike. I'm glad I've survived riding long enough to learn what I've learned.
wink.gif

rock.gif

Wonderful thoughts Bullet!  My best friend "allowed" me to start up his `04 Busa Limited and take it for a spin around his neighborhood.  I know that this wasn't the best thing in the world to do considering that I don't have my license yet.  But I figured wth!  After riding the bike, or it riding me for that matter, i realised that it is too much bike for me to even consider!  1st gear about flipped me off the bike.  2nd gear mearly slapped me back onto my seat.  As for 3rd-4th, I got it under control.  Or at least what I considered "control."  I didn't even get nowhere near shifting to 5th much less 6th.  Let me ask you guys/gals this; with all sport bikes, is it common for the front wheel to lift off teh ground shifting from 1st to 2nd?  On that reason alone, I'm not ready for a Busa.  As soon as I purchase my bike, or beat it out of my wife first.  I plan on getting with a bunch of people to actually teach me how to ride a bike.  And as for that saftey course, I've already put my name down!  Once again, I want to thank y'all for the advice!  Being 26 and married with two kids,  you think I would have learned by now.
blush.gif
I also went to one of the Motorcycle Dealerships here in Augusta today.  The salesman also reccomended the Suzuki sv650-650s. Does anyone know any details on this bike? Y'all sure do know enough stuff about the Busa!  All I can say is, I still love the Busa and I will always love it.  But I'm not ready for it!

Wonderful thoughts Bullet! My best friend "allowed" me to start up his `04 Busa Limited and take it for a spin around his neighborhood. I know that this wasn't the best thing in the world to do considering that I don't have my license yet. But I figured wth! After riding the bike, or it riding me for that matter, i realised that it is too much bike for me to even consider! 1st gear about flipped me off the bike. 2nd gear mearly slapped me back onto my seat. As for 3rd-4th, I got it under control. Or at least what I considered "control." I didn't even get nowhere near shifting to 5th much less 6th. Let me ask you guys/gals this; with all sport bikes, is it common for the front wheel to lift off teh ground shifting from 1st to 2nd? On that reason alone, I'm not ready for a Busa. As soon as I purchase my bike, or beat it out of my wife first. I plan on getting with a bunch of people to actually teach me how to ride a bike. And as for that saftey course, I've already put my name down! Once again, I want to thank y'all for the advice! Being 26 and married with two kids, you think I would have learned by now.
blush.gif
I also went to one of the Motorcycle Dealerships here in Augusta today. The salesman also reccomended the Suzuki sv650-650s. Does anyone know any details on this bike? Y'all sure do know enough stuff about the Busa! All I can say is, I still love the Busa and I will always love it. But I'm not ready for it!
First of all, your friend has nuts of steel (or no brain!
eek2.gif
) if he let you take his busa out with no bike experience.
biggrin.gif

As for the SV650... Should be a good starter bike. From what I've read about them they have enough torque to make them fun to play on when you're in the mood. They supposedly handle great, too. Lots of folks use them for track bikes and swear by them. I don't think that would be a bad choice at all for a first bike.
wink.gif

Wonderful thoughts Bullet!  My best friend "allowed" me to start up his `04 Busa Limited and take it for a spin around his neighborhood.  I know that this wasn't the best thing in the world to do considering that I don't have my license yet.  But I figured wth!  After riding the bike, or it riding me for that matter, i realised that it is too much bike for me to even consider!  1st gear about flipped me off the bike.  2nd gear mearly slapped me back onto my seat.  As for 3rd-4th, I got it under control.  Or at least what I considered "control."  I didn't even get nowhere near shifting to 5th much less 6th.  Let me ask you guys/gals this; with all sport bikes, is it common for the front wheel to lift off teh ground shifting from 1st to 2nd?  On that reason alone, I'm not ready for a Busa.  As soon as I purchase my bike, or beat it out of my wife first.  I plan on getting with a bunch of people to actually teach me how to ride a bike.  And as for that saftey course, I've already put my name down!  Once again, I want to thank y'all for the advice!  Being 26 and married with two kids,  you think I would have learned by now.
blush.gif
I also went to one of the Motorcycle Dealerships here in Augusta today.  The salesman also reccomended the Suzuki sv650-650s. Does anyone know any details on this bike? Y'all sure do know enough stuff about the Busa!  All I can say is, I still love the Busa and I will always love it.  But I'm not ready for it!
Just from reading what you did there, don't get a Busa as your first bike. Getting into 4th gear the very first time you've ridd'in a bike, that's definately not the self control I was refering to. Spending the a couple hrs in a parking lot, just learning stop and go in 1st would have been better.

Don't take this the wrong way, its not a critizism just my observation.

If you know you'll get a Busa soon. Buy a cheap, used small bike ($1000 approx) so you don't care if you crash it. That way you won't waste your money on a brand new sv600 when you might crash it. Unless your rich in which case, who cares...

Bullet, I respect you all that, but I can't disagree more with what you said and how you quoted me.

Let me say it again, my Busa IS my very first bike. 3 miles on it new when it came out of the dealer's showroom, about 12,000 on it now from me riding in some canyons, Los Angeles freeway, and Los Angeles streets (worst ones, West Los Angeles). It CAN be done, I know because I DID it. Those older riders with X of years of experience don't mean much if they only rack up about 1000 miles a year in the countryside. And even if they did rack up 6000 miles + in the urban/suburban/horrendeous "freeway" jungle, their experience differs very much from what a newbie with no experience is asking about because they started on a "smaller" bike. I hate to sound like I know it all, but I do believe I can relate closer to the newbie with no bike experience.

DarkLotus, regardless of what I said, I'm glad you found out for yourself. For some, the busa was meant to be as a first bike. I've dived into this type of subject of debate numerous times. I've had many opponents, but the one that put up the best point is the all so wise Rev, and I'll paraphase his retort to me, "... Even if you can handle the busa as a first bike, where do you go from there? It's like losing your virginity in Paris on a perfect night to a supermodel. Whatever you ride later [no pun intended, really] will be a disappointment because of that first ["experience"]".

Maybe I'll miss the joy of having to work up to that "supermodel" like you would have now. But I have no regrets whatsoever. But you're on the right track to find actual riders/friends that will mentor you apart from the MSF riding coarse. I forgot to mention that myself. My mentor was a long time college buddy that REALLY taught me how to ride in the real, everyday world. Thanks Ritchie R.

Oh, Bullet, just to clarify your "image" theory". Not all of us got the busa to boost self-image. I think I look just as damn sexy on a F4i as I was a busa
smile.gif
For some of us, it's a matter of destiny. For some of us, the busa and us are meant to be. Like the jockey and thoroughbred that found each other. And don't some of you start getting on me about being all "out there" and philsophical. I've seen from some of you're postings how you romantize your Busas.

I won't tell your Girlfriends/Wives if you guys don't tell mine. ;)

Bullet, I respect you all that, but I can't disagree more with what you said and how you quoted me.

Let me say it again, my Busa IS my very first bike. 3 miles on it new when it came out of the dealer's showroom, about 12,000 on it now from me riding in some canyons, Los Angeles freeway, and Los Angeles streets (worst ones, West Los Angeles). It CAN be done, I know because I DID it. Those older riders with X of years of experience don't mean much if they only rack up about 1000 miles a year in the countryside. And even if they did rack up 6000 miles + in the urban/suburban/horrendeous "freeway" jungle, their experience differs very much from what a newbie with no experience is asking about because they started on a "smaller" bike. I hate to sound like I know it all, but I do believe I can relate closer to the newbie with no bike experience.

Oh, Bullet, just to clarify your "image" theory". Not all of us got the busa to boost self-image. I think I look just as damn sexy on a F4i as I was a busa
smile.gif
For some of us, it's a matter of destiny. For some of us, the busa and us are meant to be. Like the jockey and thoroughbred that found each other. And don't some of you start getting on me about being all "out there" and philsophical. I've seen from some of you're postings how you romantize your Busas.

I won't tell your Girlfriends/Wives if you guys don't tell mine. ;)
The busa was my first street bike too, so how can you relate to a "newbie" on a busa better than I could?
rock.gif
Also, I never said it couldn't be done. Heck, I done it. I survived the busa as my first bike. So far I've also survived an even more insane ride and I still consider myself a rookie rider. What I said was that luck pulled me out of the fire more times than skill did for quite a while on those occasions when I was in over my head due to the skills vs. power ratio of a newbie on a busa. The ratio has improved but there are still times when I find myself realizing that luck and/or grace saved my tail.

If anyone here says that the busa was their first bike and luck never pulled them through in the beginning when they twisted too hard, they either had FAR more self control than any human I've ever known, didn't know they were in over their head (probably the most dangerous riders on the road), or just plain ain't tellin' the truth. Can you honestly say that luck never saved you from the busa's power as you evolved from no experience and riding a busa to having 12k miles on one? That you never, NEVER overcooked a corner after blasting a straight and pulled through it by going past your skills and personal limits and not being sure you were going to make it? Never had a close call because of the speed you were carrying without realizing it due to the busa's smooth nature at speed?
rock.gif

Also, I never named anyone on this board when I said that it was obvious who bought a busa as an image enhancer or as an "overcompensator" as Revlis might put it. I haven't rode with you, or most of the others on this site so I can't make that call on most of you. I've only rode with busaben and Pimpbike and both of those guys definitely know how to work the heck out of a busa in the twisties.

I never implied that most, or in fact ANY folks here bought the busa for it's image. I simply said that it's quite easy to spot those types of busa riders on the street. They are the ones who are obviously scared of the busa in the corners because they've probably scared the urine out of themselves at some point or another and are now afraid to push it at all in the twisties. They're the guys that are getting their tails handed to them on those back country roads by guys on 600's and 750's. If you're not that guy, then I wasn't referring to you so don't take it personal.
wink.gif

rock.gif

I would have to agree with BulletTrain, the SV650 would be a good starter bike. You seem to enjoy opening the throttle often (don't we all). With limited riding experience, the Busa will more than likely bite you sooner or later. The Busa lights up the rear tire very easily-if you're leaned over when that happens the rear of the bike steps out and you have a good chance of highsiding. There are many good bikes out there that are more forgiving. I know that if I had a Busa for my first bike, I would have definately crashed! Good luck with your decision.

Back