Car problems

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
Okay, I know threads like this can be pain, but well, here it goes. My GF's car wont start. 96 mustang V6 auto,110k, Yeah, its FAST:laugh: anyway, turn the key, a click from under the hood and thats it. After the click the radio and dash lights go out. I tried to jump it just to check the battery, same thing happened. I have a few ideas, but im no mechanic by any means. I can bolt things on and off, but diagnostics is not my area. Any good ideas?
Thanks guys/gals.
You can kinda, sorta see it in the background. Pics always help get what ya want here on the Org:whistle:

SANY0879.jpg

Kaw pic = ban and thread deletion lol.

Sounds like a dead battery. Make sure you were gettin a good connection on the jumpers or check the battery at the parts house or with a meter.

Next look at the key next to where the ring loop goes and there should be a chip in there. If there's a hole it fell out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Check all the wiring connections on the starter solenoid check for loseness and corrosion. If that is solid, try getting a small hammer and tap around the solenoid and attempt to start with the jumper cable connected. Its a good possibility that your starter solenoid is not kicking-in for the starter to engage. That's a nice 05' Titanium by the way!

My bad on the key not sure if they're the same from 96 as 99-04 but i think they are.
Posted via Mobile Device

id say battery,if it gets low enough it will freeze and no amount of boosting will start it.can you remove battery and take in house over night then in AM put a charger on it to see if it will take a charge.dont try to charge it right away,you will boil the battery.needs to be at room temp. you need to start there before any other possability of trouble shooting can be done.if you dont have a charger take it to a autozone or a place like that,they can usually do battery load test for free.hope this helps :beerchug:

id say battery, you need to start there before any other possability of trouble shooting can be done.if you dont have a charger take it to a autozone or a place like that,they can usually do battery load test for free.hope this helps :beerchug:

X2.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks guys, Im gonna go pull the battery now and bring it in for a charge tomorrow. I didnt know that jumping may not work in all dead battery cases. Ill post back up tomorrow with results. :beerchug:

0 ya ,if it turns out to be the battery you should find out WHY it went dead.have a shop do a starting/charging load test and maybe there is a parasitic draw on your battery causing it to run down.leaving accessories plugged in the lighter sockets/aftermarket command starters are bad for that.they should be able to do a draw test on your battery to check if there is any unwanted draw after car is shut off.

Mattstang- No, i didnt hear anything from the other vehical (Durango) Oh and the key is a replacement and seems to have a place for a chip.

Expat1970-Yeah, I figured id have to figure out why it died, the GF probly leaves all sort of stuff plugged in. Ill look into that:thumbsup:

If its not the battery ill move on to starter solanoid ect...

Thanks again guys, the ol' lady says thanks too:thumbsup:

Cross the terminals on the solenoid. Easiest way to tell if its that or the started.

If the durango didn't bog or anything it wasn't connected.
Posted via Mobile Device

if you can get it running, take it up to autozone or one of those places that can test the system. they can tell you if its just the battery or if there's another part in the charging system thats outta wack

Dead battery is my first guess click click and then lights on dash and radio go out.
Sounds like it.

But

If your key is a replacement as you say the chip in it may have gone bad or lost it's code .
Do you have another , maybe original to try ?

banging the starter with a small hammer is a good idea to try after you get the battery checked or even replaced. I have had that issue with the starter on different cars several times.

Dead battery is my first guess click click and then lights on dash and radio go out.
Sounds like it.

But

If your key is a replacement as you say the chip in it may have gone bad or lost it's code .
Do you have another , maybe original to try ?

if the wrong key was used it will still turn over just wont fire and the security light will be on.the "chip" inside the key is actually a resistor matched to the ignition cylinder to complete a circuit to the theft deterrent module:beerchug:

Wrong key it won't turn over .
It's computer coded to tell the ecu to allow it to crank .

Trust me I worked in Lincoln Mercury for ten yrs.
I think fords should be the same .
The older ones maybe it will crank but no merc or linc I ever saw will.
Wrong key or lost code it won't do anything but unlock the door .

Back