December issue of Motorcyclist

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Hey all, for those of you that don't subscribe, today I got the new Motorcyclist magazine and it has a big write up comparo of Gen I vrs Gen II Busas. Stock for stock, major improvement but the dialog lacked the fact that 90% of Gen I owners make major improvements and that p..... me off. I'm curious to see what others think about the article. Raydog

The mail carrier is not finished reading my copy yet
laugh.gif

Well, my argument with that is as follows:
Gen II Busas can only equal my brakes, not exceed their performance(Braking rotors,Vesra pads,SS lines,radial mst cyl.

Gen II Busas can marginally get as light as mine (495 lbs)

A well assembled big bore kit on Gen I (and on Gen II for that matter) is just a game of leap frog on who builds their motor larger

My suspension is far more capable than OEM Gen II susp. (full Race Tech)

I could go on but my overall point is...yes...OEM to OEM Gen II is superior....I just get tired reading Car and Driver, Road and Track, all the bike mags all talk like the previous model of anything is obsolete. It's not that the Gen II isn't awesome, it's just that I resent moto journalists talking about any aspects of production motorcycles without explaining the incredible aftermarket choices out there, and improvement options, especially for Hayabusas! OK, off rant. Raydog

Well, my argument with that is as follows:
Gen II Busas can only equal my brakes, not exceed their performance(Braking rotors,Vesra pads,SS lines,radial mst cyl.

Gen II Busas can marginally get as light as mine (495 lbs)

A well assembled big bore kit on Gen I (and on Gen II for that matter) is just a game of leap frog on who builds their motor larger

My suspension is far more capable than OEM Gen II susp. (full Race Tech)

I could go on but my overall point is...yes...OEM to OEM Gen II is superior....I just get tired reading Car and Driver, Road and Track, all the bike mags all talk like the previous model of anything is obsolete. It's not that the Gen II isn't awesome, it's just that I resent moto journalists talking about any aspects of production motorcycles without explaining the incredible aftermarket choices out there, and improvement options, especially for Hayabusas!   OK, off rant.    Raydog
True ... but not many G1s are on your bike's level. I was going by the 90% you mentioned. I think far less G-1 owners go as far as you did.

I don't really care how fast the G-2 is or can become. I love my '05 and will never put it up for sale or trade. If an offer I can't refuse comes up, I'd sell it at the drop of a hat. But I don't plan on ever getting rid of my baby.

Dropped2.JPG

i have been on your bike and i would have to say with the mods you have done its noticebly better in all areas weather it be sport tourning or canyon riding   when i get back on my stock 04 with 36k plus it feels like a pig, an 08 couldent possably be that much better than yours with mods        im thinking if i was a guy who was gonna buy, and already dident have a busa, given the fact the busaII is available i would get the 2 cause of price    thats the thing, to get our busa up to genII it would cost more     for a guy who already has a gen1 prior to the 2, why not just get a 1000 gixxer for canyon riding and keep the gen1, or for sport tourning as the focus get the gen2 as your main focus:agree:

Right, you have the best of both worlds with your 1000.... also someone in Kento Motos situation (bike is "totaled" but really isn't)...he gets his old bike back, gets a low mileage one just like it for a replacement(like 1/3 cost of Gen II) plus extra $, PLUS whatever he makes in parting out his original....I understand why he did not go Gen II!

By the way, NightCrawler, I'm diggin your TP avitar! Raydog

Right, you have the best of both worlds with your 1000.... also someone in Kento Motos situation (bike is "totaled" but really isn't)...he gets his old bike back, gets a low mileage one just like it for a replacement(like 1/3 cost of Gen II) plus extra $, PLUS whatever he makes in parting out his original....I understand why he did not go Gen II!
your right he has 2 bikes now at half the cost definitely a good move its like he has a new bike and parts too
thumb_up.gif

i can say for fact that my 08 is much quicker then my 03 and just plain rides better. without spending 2-3k on mods for a gen1

I would like the radial mount brakes from the 08... and the best choice for a complete exhaust on my 06, not all that worried about full on performance... how often can you use it anyway? Happy Gen 1 owner here too
smile.gif
Now how do you get test rides on Raydogs bike? I am having my front forks done and am getting anxious to see how they feel

How you end up really is different for each person. I bought my 2000 a year ago with 1300 miles on it....for, I think, a steal $6800. I then put another $6k into it so I'm at $12.8k and now have 9k miles on it. When it has 25-30k on it, I think a big bore makes sense! Since I'm 60 years old, I think I'll get a BMW 1200 for long rides and leave the Busa "hard edged". Of course, if Rob blows my doors off when we do a track day, maybe a Gixxer 1000 will be a requirement!

I'd like better braking and maybe lighter wheels and a bit more responsive suspension, but I'm in the group that just can't get their head around the looks of the '08. :\

just a yoshi slip on and a PC its the weight that makes the bike so exsplosivive it feels strong up to 150 and then the busa just keeps pulling
thumb_up.gif

NightCrawler, that's funny, hey Mr. Bogus, what exactly are you going to do with your forks? (the big 3 being 1)springs matched to your needs 2)proper weight juice 3)replacement valving (Race Tech = Gold Valves)

And then...there's the rear shock, and the +1" arms! Raydog

You guyz are funny ... yeah me, I would like an 08 for the ride, but the back end ... looks wise, SUCKS!

I am workin on making Busa 2 Look and work like Bus 1

New_2003Busie_018b.jpg

Back