FYI, Florida helmet Law Repeal/NHTSA report

Looks like ABATE of Florida was able to push HB1911 which would repeal the helmet law in Florida and the catch is that you must be over 21yrs old and carry $10,000 in medical insurance policy. Other notes from NHTSA"National Highway Traffic Safety Admin, 2/3 of Car/Motorcycle Crashes caused by Drivers,Not Bikers, Also May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month,Yuy,no one told me that.For more information on motorcycle issues go to WWW.americanmotor.com!!!!! Ride safe.

I remember seeing a similer survey for the UK where a very high percentage of motorcycle accidents wher attributed to cage-drivers. I'll have to go and look it up.

According to NHTSA stats from '98, the last year they have complete stats, about one-third of all motorcycle accidents were attributed to vehicles oncoming and making a left turn in front of the motorcyclists; (another one-third of motorcyclist fatalities were attributed to impaired riding!)

It may be true that cars cause the majority of accidents but that does not change the fact that is the bikers the ones who die.
--Elena

Sarge,should be divided like this if you ride a Harley,3/8 accident left turn in front of you,1/2 for driving while drunk,1/8 for bad brakes or handling of bike.This is my own experience when riding with Hog or other Harley events.The Harley brakes suck big time and the softtail frame or even the hard tail frame is waiting for an accident to happen.Try riding a 120mph plus on a Harley and the front end will start to sway and cause a little shacking,does that on my 92Fatboy and my wife's 94Heritage.Plus rear tire should be wider on the Harley,170 or bigger and the only model that is close to modern is the new softtail Delux wide glide.

Cisco, I like Harleys, and have ridden a few, but haven't owned one. Reasons: price/value for the money (two Busas for one Harley doesn't sound like value to me, and resale value is pointless, since I keep my bikes so long, in mint condition); other reason is what you're talking about, the archaic engineering, comparitively speaking.
Which brings me to this point: What are the best brands on custom Harleys out there?
I was watching Speedvision last week, (can't remember the show), which featured companies making Harley-powered customs. One is Titan, but they had some other manufacturers, many of them new companies. Having your own visually custom bike, with engine performance tweaks, sounds great, especially with all the choices. Just look at our own links page on .org. Alot of custom choices.

I'd like to know which one has the best combination of handling and engine, as the appearance is all to each his own.

As both a 2000 Harley and a 2000 Busa owner I have to agree when it comes to high speed maneuvering. With regards to braking however, there are so many after market manufacturers (including Brembo, Wow!) that make disks, calipers and pads that totally change the braking characteristics of your bike like you wouldn't believe! Harleys internal after market parts, screaming eagle, have some pretty wild stuff as well. I bought the FXDX Dyna Super Glide Sport because of its adjustable suspension and lowered profile. While I tend to inch over to the Busa when i feel like a ride up into the mountains I gotta tell you i love the Harley in town for the comfort and stop and go driving.

Sarge,my 92Fatboy,has had the engine redone with mild cam,screaming eagle modulator,carb redone with the superslide kit/pump,air filter redone,all smog junk off,supertrapp 2into1 pipe with 22plates.Front rear mags with matching dic brake and rear pulley,front/back six piston Jay brakes with braided lines.Chubby T-bar six inch rise.Chrome swing arm,front end all chrome.Lowered back and fron 1.5inch.Progressive shock rear and Progressive lowering kit front.With all the money I spent on this bike I would have been better of buying a Confederate HellCat or ST with the Murks engine or the Polariars motorcycle with the Arleeness aftermarket kit.Arleen Ness one of the best custume harley designer in Northern California is now selling Polariars Motorcycles which comes stock 90 horse power stock.Arleen must know something that the Harleys don't have which is a better engine,better handling and better brakes.My friend who sells Suzuki,Kawi motorcycle/jetski and now Polarias motorcycle said that he pulled up to a group of go fast Harley bikes and clones and a Titian and a Simms go fast bike riders pulled out to test the speed of this new Polarias Motorcycle that passed them.My friend let them stay with him up to 90mph then he gave them a little go bye wave and walked away from those bikes.He also told me that Harleys are made with over 46 foreign parts and the Polariars is made with only less then 3 or 4 Foreign parts with the rest American parts.Now go figure.I'm saving my money for the Confederate or Polarias.Cost on Confederate between $19K/$29K, Polarias $16K fully loaded and fast and FI and the best brakes and products.

A thread a week or so ago talked about where is the next big jump in tech, since we are probably looking at limits being imposed on bikes like ours. I'd say with the increased American competition in the cruiser segment, it could only make the breed better. Things might get interesting in the next few years.

Back