Help!! Should I do my OWN first service??

G

My shop manual lists a half dozen jobs to do at 600 mile service besides the oil/filter change. If you want to keep your warranty active you need to let the dealer do it. Especially have him check and set the chain. I plan to let the dealer do the first two services for warranty purposes then do my own from then on. I'll keep receipts and good records for the oil and filters I buy.

Did all my own service and kept all the recipts for the filters and oil that I use plus I have a trip memo book that I keep a running gas fill up/mpg/cost.That way when I sell the bike it will have all the real world information for the next owner same thing done for the last two bikes I sold and the new owners were very impressed with all the update and service records that I had.If you do it yourself you'll learn more about your bike.First get a service manual and correct tools,torque wrench,metric set all.

140.00 bucks Sh** I am going to rasie my price we charge 50.00 labor plus oil and filter and another 50.00 if you want the bodies sunk.and TPS adj

[This message has been edited by Johnnycheese (edited 23 March 2000).]

Is the first service something I should do on my OWN, or is the dealer going to do something important that I cannot. I am moderately mechanical, but nothing like many of you guys are.

Thank you in advance!

Good question. I'm thinking about the same thing. In addition to changing the oil/filter, I will:
inspect all chassis and engine fasteners(proper torque or just loose).
inspect adjustments on: filters, cables, chain…. (stuff listed in the manual)
lube cables.
Inspect steering head. What’s the procedure here? Tools?

Do the throttle bodies need to by synced? I’ve synchronized the carbs on my other bikes, but I’m not familiar with the adjustments on FI. Same type of thing, just a vacuum balance?

I’m looking forward to more qualified answers???

The first service can be done by those of moderate mechanical ability. GET A SERVICE MANUAL!
BUT... I had the dealer do mine. Think of it as insurance if something major goes wrong during the warranty. For 140 or so bucks, why give an excuse for warranty hassles?

Hmmm. Good point. Besides, I can't believe the whole first service consists ONLY of an oil change and nut tightening. Although after riding the 'busa I could use the latter. heh heh

There must be more that they do. Does anyone know exactly what goes into the first service?

For me it's not the money, it's the time. Dealer has a 2+ week wait for service this time of year. In addition, I like working on my own bikes and cars, when ever possible. That way I know things are done right, and I get to learn something about my vehicles.

That's why I like boards like this, you get sound advice, lots of tips & tricks. Now if the consensus is I should take it to the Dealer, I probably will. That just means I'll probably go a few weeks w/ out riding. Cause once the weather clears, I'll put 600+ miles on the first full weekend of riding.

Having a dealer do the first service is probably a good idea if the cost and wait time is reasonable. In addition to oil change and bolt check, the first service usually includes valve check, carb balance, chain inspection/lube/adjustement, and assorted other odds and ends that really end up making it a mini tune-up.

Just my two bits.

The Dealers here in Denver Colorado are charging $270.00 for the first inspection. I only paid the loot for waranty reasons.

[This message has been edited by RAGARUFNEK (edited 24 March 2000).]

I got the first service done with 1300 miles on the bike. Did my own oil change at 600 though. I'm sorry I didn't make this clear earlier. It was because of a weeks long wait for dealer appointment. Mine said this was OK to do and gave me a chance to complete break in and see if there was anything wierd at full power. Call the dealer and ask, can't hurt.

I got mine in at 1200 miles, the only thing is to change the oil like tinhead says at 600. A lot of stuff is in the oil from that initial breakin.

I changed my oil/checked nuts bolts /chain /tps at 600 miles then again at 2ooo miles/ every time I Tried to get to the dealer appointment it would rain/ R U GUYS tellin me I no longer have factory warranty?

did my own for the first servicing .... oil/oil filter change ... not much metal dust found ... magnetic drain cap was clean although the oil filter took some encouragement to come loose. Manual indicated 3.3litres of topping up needed (if i rem correctly) if the oil filter was changed, what a **** of bull! Needed about 3.8litres for the level to get Btw 'Full' & 'Low' .... all other checks were fine
except the clutch fluid turning darker.
hope dis bit of info helps ya

Terence

Just finished doing my 500 mile service. Oil & filter,(PAIR valve got in my way,won't again) Adjusted TPS, the same one dealer said is always close from factory-was high. Adjusted chain. Checked every nut, bolt, fastener I could see and some I couldn't see. Checked steering head/damper operation. Cleaned everything as I checked it. Checked all my wire connections and adjusted my too low headlight, we have light! Didn't find much out of place and I know it was checked. Whoever borrowed my mercury stix still has them or I would have checked TB snych. I feel pretty sure they are off, even if dealer did say they are pretty close from the factory. I did spend about 8 - 9 hours doing this oil change but feel good about what is done. How much is your dealer really going to do for how much money is what you have to feel good about. Jack.

I appreciate all those who have posted to this thread I started. I toured my dealer's service area and am able to request that the foreman work on the bike. They are happy to oblige. I was pleased and confident, so for the warranty issue, I will have them do the first service. I have ordered the manual from motocom.com and will do some of my own future work. These boards are great. Some very knowledgable people out there!

I think you're right on the money, Bada. I think it can void the warranty to not have an authorized shop do the break-in service. I do what you just said, cough up the cash for the first service to keep the warranty solid, and then do my own work after that.

Definitely do get a factory manual.

I have always said to check it out first but come on 200-300 for a 600mile service?
like i already mention we charge 1hour labor for the 600 mile service and if you want the tps adjusted and throttle bodies sunk it is another 1hour.we are at 50.00 a hour.
the only parts should be oil and oil filter and a cotterpin for the rear axle.
and yes we are a Suzuki dealer.
some dealers wonder why no customers what to go there hope they see this.

Except for the guy in Denver, has anyone paid more than $200 for the first service? I paid 205 for the following-
chg oil and filter,air filter(clean/seal/ok),carb sync and adj(ok),fuel line and filter(ok),spark plugs(ok),cam chain(ok),steering bearings(ok),swing arm bearings(ok),wheel bearings(ok), pivot points and shafts(lube/ok), clutch(ok), brakes and fluid(ok), controls and cables(ok), suspension fluids(ok), battery and chgr system(ok), chain and sprockets(adj/ok), cooling sys(ok),exhaust sys(ok), tires(check at 42psi)
Sounds like a lot but I feel many of the "okays" were just a quick visual chks. 3.25 hours labor. I am not a cheap skate but still don't want to pay much more than the norm. I'm not a mech and want an opinion from those in the know.

That list youi posted for your "lfirst service" is stuff that should have probably been done in teh predelivery check. Granted, some stuff might come lose, but it's still pretty laughable for them to charge you 3 1/2 hours labor for an oil change and a carb sync.

Do you really believe that they pulled the plugs?

Back