How much out are your factory chain adjustment marks?

I made one of these as well. It works pretty good too. The one that goes from pivot c/l to axle c/l is a tiny bit more accurate, and my bike regularly sees 180+ so it's just a mind thing,that's all.They are both good products. The one you use is a bit quicker though...:thumbsup:

Could you post some pictures or give some advice on the ones you made?

Thanks

I just use a tape measure on mine. I measure from the swingarm centerline to the rear axle centerline on both sides. You need to be sure you keep the tape measure straight though, the swingarm bulges out slightly on the left side. Just keep the tape out away from the swingarm slightly and straight and it seems to work fine :laugh:

The dots on mine are one off when the rear is correctly aligned!

I use the 'string method'...

I just use a tape measure on mine. I measure from the swingarm centerline to the rear axle centerline on both sides. You need to be sure you keep the tape measure straight though, the swingarm bulges out slightly on the left side. Just keep the tape out away from the swingarm slightly and straight and it seems to work fine :laugh:

I use a caliper, but I am not seeing the marks being as far off as I see posted.

the marks on swing arm should not be used for allignment, the chain does not get lose, it stretches and for that reason i don't use the marks on swing arm.
there is a perfect way to do it which is using the string and put the rear wheel on stand and try to balance with front wheel.
i use tape measurement from tip of the rim to insid part of swing arm on both side and try to match it that way.

That would be considered the Polish way! :laugh:
J/K :laugh:

If I get a day off this weekend I will try to find the one. I know where one of them is. The other (my favorite one)got misplaced while moving stuff around...If i do get a day off, i will take a couple pics and post them up. I forget all the specs i used while making them also. It's been well over a year or two...

The gadgets are all cool and easy but the true way to align the rear wheel is the string line method. Aligning the rear wheel with the swingarm pivot may very well align the wheel within the swingarm but not necessarily with the front wheel.

Perfect alignment is when the rear wheel is aligned with the front wheel.

The gadgets are all cool and easy but the true way to align the rear wheel is the string line method. Aligning the rear wheel with the swingarm pivot may very well align the wheel within the swingarm but not necessarily with the front wheel.

Amen... and pass the chicken!

Mine are good ... I use a micrometer and the string method to test it all ... usually the marks are within a millimeter. (I use the micrometer and strings as the girls down the street like to help wearing bikinis!!!) :banana: And then they want to for rides on the Busa! ... that was until if FREAKIN snowed last night .. (sigh).

Yes- you are correct. But I have went through 3 rear tires and 2 rear sprockets this season alone. The methods I use,these cool gadgets, have proven to work well. And take up much less time than the string method. My bike tracks straight, easily manuvered at slow speeds, is rock solid up over 180mph and never gets head shake. I once compared the string method to the pivot c/l tool method. there was only .014mm diff. And 1mm is equal to .040 inches. So- for my set-up, it is accurate enough for me. I did not say for everyones set-up, just mine. As I do not know what anyone else has done to thier forks, triples,ect.........

OH- and for the guy measuring from the swingarm side into the wheel lip... you better watch that method, alot of bikes have swingarms that are not concentric side to side and that method will really fudge up your alignment...
I am not saying your alignment is not right, just some food for thought, it may work on the Busa, but might not on another bike...

I agree. I just use the swingarm to axle centerline method to keep the chain and sprockest centered. I used the swingarm marks till I noticed my chain and sprockets weren't running true ??? I'm not a hardcore twistie kinda guy, not as worried about front to rear alignment. The stock frame-swingarm-fork geometry has always worked good enough for my riding. I get great tire wear, she handles great...and I'm too lazy to be bothered witht the string-laser ect method :laugh::laugh:

Back