How to do burnouts on the Busa ?

G

Look I'm really not a hooligan, but sometimes my British DNA just takes over and I just have to do these things. I have NEVER done a burnout on a bike before, never felt the need. But tomorrow I get a new chain fitted $300+ and a new rear tyre $350+ (they like to penalize big bikes here!) So I'm a little peeved at the expense, especially as I read about your sub $200 tyres ! So tonight I want to abuse this old chain and tyre, any advice.

FYI At 190lbs I'm a little heavy and at 5'8" just a tad short. I cannot place both feet flat on the ground at the same time. Sad isn't it ! :) :)

Dazee...all those wheelies and no burnouts?

Practise on hard packed dirt if you can. Stand on your toes to get 90% of the weight off your bike but stay planted with your butt and thighs in contact with the seat to control sideways movement of the bike while the tire's spinning.

Hold the front brake with two fingers and just do a medium hard launch. Rev up and engage the clutch simultaneously and firmly until the tire breaks loose, then let out the clutch and run the rear tire at whatever speed you want.

At lot of people think you have to pop the clutch to break the tire loose...not so. Just think in terms of a medium hard launch, except you hold the front brake on.

For the first few times, stop your burnout by pulling in the clutch and cutting the gas simultaneously while still holding the front brake. When you're more comfortable, you can just release the front brake and move into a rolling burnout.

As Yngve would say, "Easy Peasy..."

Dazee, as soon as you have done a couple of good burnouts I suggest a doughnut as burnouts are a little boring and tend to dig holes in the road/car park surface.

After achieving a good wheel speed and plently of smoke just start sidestepping about 6 inches at a time whilst maintaining a good grip of the seat with your thighs. The bike will pivot around the front wheel creating a nice arc of molten rubber. If you can complete a 360 degree making the tyre marks meet you'll have gained the admiration and respect of all those looking, especially that of the supermarket whose carpark is wearing the "art" for the next 6 months.

hey at $350 a time, I'll only be doing this at tyre change time !

DP - thanks for the advice, I'll get up onto me toes and let it fly.

Pooh - Any advice on stand-up donouts like the Mach II video ? Sadly there are not many supermarkets here, sometimes you just miss Sainsburys for all the wrong reasons :)

Go for it Dazee. I did my first burnout on this bike just before replacement of the rear and it was easy just make sure you have the bike well anchored as it will try to move to one side or other (always left on mine. maybe I have a shorter leg or something).

If I can do it you definitely can.

As soon as U get the tire burning, step up onto the pegs , lean forward and slooowly relase the frontbrake , very little, then using body language and your handlebars do a standig-on-pegs donought. Its GREAT fun. Its a little difficult on a busa but if I can do it , so can U. ( yeah its Easy Peasy ( I got those " words" from the man who are holding the reckord for driveng fastes from the north of scotland to lands end in the south of England. He did it on a Laverda 1200 a long time ago. Cant some of the English members beat it on a Busa ? ? ? )

[This message has been edited by Yngve (edited 28 January 2000).]

Pick your spot, preferably a long straight section of road, you'll need at least 1/4 mile. Roll to a stop in 3rd gear. now bring the rpm's to 5000 while holding the front brake hard. DUMP the clutch and hang on. The bike will want to walk to the right some but you will be able to keep it straight with your leg.In less than 10 seconds you will be invisable from the cloud of smoke. This is where the fun begins. When the bike shifts to the left get your rt foot on the peg while slowly letting off the gas for a millisecond. Stand up on 1 foot (your right one) and while putting slight pressure on the rear brake HAMMER IT Wide Open. Shift your weight with the motion of the bike and if your doing it right and shifting your weight foreward Jam 4th and disapear in a cloud of smoke. I see a Photo Op here, much like the Chi-Town Hustler Fuel Coupe of the 70's! Whatever you decide, higher gears produce more smoke. :-) Brian

Standing doughnuts are a whole different kettle of fish. I'm far to clumsy to do them as I think a good sense of balance is required.

Before you attempt one, fix the cushions from your sofa to the fairing of your bike and pick a wide open space....not easy in Japan I guess....

No Can Do Lyle. Its 10 feet of snow here and the only thing U can get a picture of is my ol lady over her old bike........

Also a neat thing to do is when U are driving up a hill slowly reduse speed until U are going backwards down the hill ( takes a little practise ) now to the difficult part. Rew your engine with your clutch in and drop it. Its looks funny going backwards while U are doing a burnout. This one is for those who have done all kinds of burnouts before. Oh yeah your feet is suposed to be on the pegs all the time for the " I dont care " look :)

I am pretty small compared to most (125 lbs, 5'7") and being 19y/o pretty young too but i can get my busa to light the rear tire up while rolling. Anytime i am on a cold stock tire in first gear sometimes in secound. I now have a d207 and have to put a little more effort into it but no brake or clutch needed! Once the tire is warm this is not possible. But what ever works for you is best.

Yea, in the colder weather it is easy to light the back end up when rolling, it is part of my morning ritual when riding to work. Once I am a safe distance from the house and neighbours I warm that tyre up. The D207 is what my last tyre was, because of the more rounded profile it was easier to do than the Bridgestone.

My problem was with stationary burnouts, being VERY short legged I cannot take alot of weight off the bike. Have now managed it but not too comfortable with it yet, need to buy some taller boots for this !

Dazee, where are you buying your tyres from man. I live in Leeds England and i bought a pair of 56j's for 200 pounds ( around $320 for our american friends). Just look in MCN near the back of the mart section and ring a few of the ads. This was including postage.
Don't get ripped off.!!!.
Nygie@bigfoot.com

Nygie, thanks man but I live in Japan now. Anything related to big bikes here is expensive, they just don't want you to ride them here.
Test is fairly straight forward for bikes but they will keep failing you on a big bike. Never met anyone that passed in under 6 attempts - I passed at attempt 9 !

Domestic bikes are only up to 750cc, larger has to be imported even if they are originally made in Japan. When you order you can choose US, Canadian or European spec.

The highways do not permit you to carry a passenger, so touring is restricted to smaller busy roads.

Everything that is available is expensive, many of the new good bits are not even available.

Sorry, it's Monday morning, I'm crabby and complaining. Still the burnouts were great fun !

Harley has a huge outlet here, remember some parts of Japan are practically little Americas with so many bases. Plus the Japanese has a fondness for foriegn bikes, especially cruisers. I think it is possible to get the entire Harley range here and as much chrome as you want. I have seen bikes in my local city (not really big) that date from about 1920, right up to this years models - some of which look quite nice. I have yet to find a good tuning shop for sports bikes, but know staff from at least 2 Harley chop shops.

BTW. Just expect to pay BIG !

Back