I picked up my 2023 'busa then dropped it as promised.

chobers

Registered
I test-rode the bike at the local dealer and got lost a little. Peter the salesman admitted to being somewhat nervous until I returned, but he also knew I wasn't leaving without it, which I didn't.

I thought the hunched-over riding position would be much less comfortable but it really isn't. My back starts hurting on my KLR650 after an hour or so anyway, so I'm not in a hurry to get bar risers. Peter, the salesman, recommended that I not start hanging stuff onto the bike until after I've ridden it for a while. He said a lot of people buy stuff they later take off.

Anyway, I bought it and rode it up Rt. 95 in southern Maine for an hour or so, trying to stay under 70 mph and varying my speed. All settings are on "easy," "beginner," "neutral," "slow," etc., and I'm riding it nice-and-easy. It's a gentlemanly and stately bike if you don't crank it too much, kind of like a Rolls-Royce. I have literally not leaned it over at all yet.

The "back-pressure" setting is on 'zero' and there is NONE, strange feeling. No engine braking at all.

Next day I pulled out of my dirt driveway which has a slight up-grade and promptly dropped the bike on its side. It had about 50 miles on it. I was so happy about that I can't begin to explain. I used a few towing straps, my CR-V, and a couple of U-tube bike rescue videos. It popped right up and was fine. Snapped off the "Don't lean over so much, you fool" metal whisker thingie, and part of the shift lever, and scratched four separate pieces of fairing plastic, plus the exhaust pipe. No strange noises have come from the bike while underway, si I doubt I did any mechanical damage.

Not positive yet, but I think the 'busa may be the meaning of life. It's really, really, really a nice piece of machinery.

bikedown1.jpg

salvage technique.png

SalvagedBike.jpg

busted-off stuff.jpg

I started riding dirtbikes at 12, did MX in my late teens, can drift a sportbike up that dirt road...and could drop a new bike on it's side at the end of a driveway too, lmao...don't take it so hard, it happens.
The very first time I put gas in my new gen2, back in 09, as I stepped off it at the pump, the kickstand folded, while my leg was still in the air, lol, and I 'caught' the bike as it hit the ground...some scratches and a broken clutch lever tip...as I'de already removed the curb feelers, lol.
I also watched it fall over on 2 other occasions, before I learned that Busas need to be in 1st when parked, have the slack rolled out, and the bars locked, to be secure from falling, and that the kickstand mod is really good.
Anyway, the best riders in the world crash the best bikes, even stupid tip overs, we all do.

Very sorry to see you drop your bike, but dont take it to hard, we all done it, but as mentioned before, get familiar to pick it up by yourself, its easier that it seems. I will post some videos, I done the first method before, I haven't try the second method yet, (not that I want to, but seems to be even easier)

I have done this one...

I haven't try this one yet, bit seems to work even better, just a little confusing if you are already use to the other methods.

Last edited:
I test-rode the bike at the local dealer and got lost a little. Peter the salesman admitted to being somewhat nervous until I returned, but he also knew I wasn't leaving without it, which I didn't.

I thought the hunched-over riding position would be much less comfortable but it really isn't. My back starts hurting on my KLR650 after an hour or so anyway, so I'm not in a hurry to get bar risers. Peter, the salesman, recommended that I not start hanging stuff onto the bike until after I've ridden it for a while. He said a lot of people buy stuff they later take off.

Anyway, I bought it and rode it up Rt. 95 in southern Maine for an hour or so, trying to stay under 70 mph and varying my speed. All settings are on "easy," "beginner," "neutral," "slow," etc., and I'm riding it nice-and-easy. It's a gentlemanly and stately bike if you don't crank it too much, kind of like a Rolls-Royce. I have literally not leaned it over at all yet.

The "back-pressure" setting is on 'zero' and there is NONE, strange feeling. No engine braking at all.

Next day I pulled out of my dirt driveway which has a slight up-grade and promptly dropped the bike on its side. It had about 50 miles on it. I was so happy about that I can't begin to explain. I used a few towing straps, my CR-V, and a couple of U-tube bike rescue videos. It popped right up and was fine. Snapped off the "Don't lean over so much, you fool" metal whisker thingie, and part of the shift lever, and scratched four separate pieces of fairing plastic, plus the exhaust pipe. No strange noises have come from the bike while underway, si I doubt I did any mechanical damage.

Not positive yet, but I think the 'busa may be the meaning of life. It's really, really, really a nice piece of machinery.

View attachment 1668719

View attachment 1668720

View attachment 1668721

View attachment 1668722
Sad sight to see but the busa seems to be pretty good about not taking damage on these kind of drops. I do have an 06 zx1000 in my shop currently that I can't say the same thing for, but was teaching his nephew how to ride and he went down in front of the house and broke the rearset and somehow damaged the internals in the trans since now there is no way to get it into neutral and the shift rod slides in and out about an inch or so. Just another good reason to always buy suzuki :laugh:

Sad sight to see but the busa seems to be pretty good about not taking damage on these kind of drops. I do have an 06 zx1000 in my shop currently that I can't say the same thing for, but was teaching his nephew how to ride and he went down in front of the house and broke the rearset and somehow damaged the internals in the trans since now there is no way to get it into neutral and the shift rod slides in and out about an inch or so. Just another good reason to always buy suzuki :laugh:
I'm squirming over here reading that. Ouch, that hurts.

View attachment 1668719

View attachment 1668720

View attachment 1668721

View attachment 1668722
It hurts to see these pictures. Any little drop gets expensive quick on these bikes. Make sure you’re sitting down when you inquire about the cost of the fairings.
I’m not sure about your height and weight but they can be picked up without too much effort (unfortunately a lot of us have been there) if the person is not too small. As for riding in that type of terrain, you should book a tour with @pashnit and he’ll probably teach a thing or two about off-roading on a busa.:laugh:

Every time I see a motorcycle laying on its side, I literally get choked up a bit, like it's a downed animal or something. :( So weird.

That first picture is heartbreaking. My eyes are teared up a bit, and I'm not an emotional guy, but again...a bike on its side triggers something in me.

I wish you a speedy mental recovery, man. In the past I've dropped my bikes too. Heck, even my Gen 3 fell off the kickstand two days after buying it.

It just happened to pin me against the garage wall, resting on my thighs (it hurt), with the left mirror acting as a frame slider. It's still scratched!

Serves me right for moving the bike forward a bit and not paying attention that the kickstand pushed back with the floor so it wasn't resting on the stop.

Last edited:
Welcome to the "Dropped my 2023" club! I dropped mine one week into ownership when it rolled right of the kickstand. I have a very shallow grade on my driveway and NOT ONE of my previous 9 bikes ever had the slightest complaint. But this one doesn't like pointing downhill on the kickstand AT ALL.

I had the same exact broken parts sitting on my shelf. Partzilla to the rescue!

Nice looking bike!

It hurts to see these pictures. Any little drop gets expensive quick on these bikes. Make sure you’re sitting down when you inquire about the cost of the fairings.
I’m not sure about your height and weight but they can be picked up without too much effort (unfortunately a lot of us have been there) if the person is not too small. As for riding in that type of terrain, you should book a tour with @pashnit and he’ll probably teach a thing or two about off-roading on a busa.:laugh:
The problem is that it's my driveway; I live there! Every time I want to pull out onto the road I have to slow down to check for traffic. Creeping along on the dirt driveway is what made me fall over. In just a few short moments I'll be going outside with my new Stihl chainsaw to cut out some portholes in the brush on either side of the driveway. That way I'll be able to pull out onto the road without slowing to a crawl.

Every time I see a motorcycle laying on its side, I literally get choked up a bit, like it's a downed animal or something. :( So weird.

That first picture is heartbreaking. My eyes are teared up a bit, and I'm not an emotional guy, but again...a bike on its side triggers something in me.

I wish you a speedy mental recovery, man. In the past I've dropped my bikes too. Heck, even my Gen 3 fell off the kickstand two days after buying it.

It just happened to pin me against the garage wall, resting on my thighs (it hurt), with the left mirror acting as a frame slider. It's still scratched!

Serves me right for moving the bike forward a bit and not paying attention that the kickstand pushed back with the floor so it wasn't resting on the stop.
I ordered one of those "coasters" to bolt to the bottom of the kickstand. It'll be about 4 x bigger so that'll help. have to do the kickstand mod also.

The problem is that it's my driveway; I live there! Every time I want to pull out onto the road I have to slow down to check for traffic. Creeping along on the dirt driveway is what made me fall over. In just a few short moments I'll be going outside with my new Stihl chainsaw to cut out some portholes in the brush on either side of the driveway. That way I'll be able to pull out onto the road without slowing to a crawl.
Once you get used to the bike, slowing to a crawl will become second nature...

I've ridden mine down a few questionable places and never had an issue, and in time you won't either....

Just remember the brakes on this bike don't like loose surfaces....even with ABS...

Spreading my feet out on either side like outriggers is already becoming second-nature. I'd wear snowshoes if I could fit them onto the foot pegs while riding!
Take a look at these nuts.....

If they can do it, you can do it....ride it like your KLR....

Back