Michelin Pilot 2ct's-Anyone running yet?

(Gunnybusa @ Nov. 29 2006,07:22)
(Charlesbusa @ Nov. 29 2006,07:17)
(Gunnybusa @ Nov. 29 2006,07:03)
(Ronnies busa @ Nov. 29 2006,06:59) My son runs the Q's on his 06 GSXR 1000 and they are only lasting about 2500-3000 miles at the best. It depends on how mush rideing we do in the twisties. I am getting about the same mileage out of my PP's I dont know how everyone is getting that kind of mileage out of there tires.
Im with you RB, it dosent relly matter what I run I only get about 3000 to 3500 out of my rears. CB on the other hand can get 8,000 out of the same tire and he rides more agressivly then I do.
laugh.gif

I only got 7162 miles out of one set, but I took the rear down to where you could just start seeing the cord.  It was down to the wear bars by 6,000 miles. The majority of my ride is commuting to work 5 days a week 62 miles a day.  Just putting back and forth to work doesn't wear them down much.  While I am aggressive in the twisties, the amount of twisty miles is much smaller to the commuting miles.

I don't think I'm going to get that many miles out of the contis I'm running, but the fat lady hasn't sung yet  
biggrin.gif
I put 100 miles a day on mine and I hit the cords by 3500, maybe its do to the fact that I weight twice as much as you Charles so I only get half the mileage
laugh.gif
That and maybe throttle hand  
poke.gif

Don't you have some twisty roads to work?  I just have plain freeway in rush hour commute.  I get to split all 62 miles, no fun....

laugh.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Nov. 29 2006,07:26)
(Ronnies busa @ Nov. 29 2006,06:59) My son runs the Q's on his 06 GSXR 1000 and they are only lasting about 2500-3000 miles at the best. It depends on how mush rideing we do in the twisties. I am getting about the same mileage out of my PP's I dont know how everyone is getting that kind of mileage out of there tires.
Im with you RB, it dosent relly matter what I run I only get about 3000 to 3500 out of my rears. CB on the other hand can get 8,000 out of the same tire and he rides more agressivly then I do.
laugh.gif

I only got 7162 miles out of one set, but I took the rear down to where you could just start seeing the cord.  It was down to the wear bars by 6,000 miles. The majority of my ride is commuting to work 5 days a week 62 miles a day.  Just putting back and forth to work doesn't wear them down much.  While I am aggressive in the twisties, the amount of twisty miles is much smaller to the commuting miles.

I don't think I'm going to get that many miles out of the contis I'm running, but the fat lady hasn't sung yet  
biggrin.gif
I put 100 miles a day on mine and I hit the cords by 3500, maybe its do to the fact that I weight twice as much as you Charles so I only get half the mileage
laugh.gif
poke.gif

Don't you have some twisty roads to work?  I just have plain freeway in rush hour commute.  I get to split all 62 miles, no fun....
Mission is twisty, you just have to watch out for all the cars. I only have 5 miles of freeway in my whole commute. I lane share on the freeway and all the way from Temecula to Hemet. I think the hand is my problem.

laugh.gif

(Gunnybusa @ Nov. 29 2006,07:32)
(Charlesbusa @ Nov. 29 2006,07:26)
laugh.gif

biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
poke.gif

Mission is twisty, you just have to watch out for all the cars. I only have 5 miles of freeway in my whole commute. I lane share on the freeway and all the way from Temecula to Hemet. I think the hand is my problem.
I wouldn't call it a problem
laugh.gif
But excitement
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

Won't your tires wear faster if just running them on a highway the majority of the time because the middle of the tire is on the pavement much longer than the sides...as opposed to twisty/sweeper stuff which uses up all 3 areas of the tire dispersing the wear pattern?

(Over_Easy @ Nov. 29 2006,08:02) Won't your tires wear faster if just running them on a highway the majority of the time because the middle of the tire is on the pavement much longer than the sides...as opposed to twisty/sweeper stuff which uses up all 3 areas of the tire dispersing the wear pattern?
That least the centers do
tounge.gif

(Over_Easy @ Nov. 29 2006,08:02) Won't your tires wear faster if just running them on a highway the majority of the time because the middle of the tire is on the pavement much longer than the sides...as opposed to twisty/sweeper stuff which uses up all 3 areas of the tire dispersing the wear pattern?
Depends on what you do with your throttle hand.  When I ride aggressive in the twisties, I'm either full throttle or aggressively downshifting(engine braking) when I'm straight up which eats aways at the center quickly.  When I commute, I'm a moped.  I never get the throttle twisted more than 20%.

It all comes down to how you ride.

I am currently running Pirelli Diablos. I gave them a good thrashing in the Texas hill country last week. I was quite impressed w/ their handling. They are brand new so I don't have any life figures yet.

I have always run Pilot Powers & love them.

See my previous post about my Wife's 600 RR - dragging my knee no problem & no chicken strip on the front tire.  She has the 2ct on the front - PP on rear.

I look forward to trying the new 2ct. on the Busa.

I don't have any experience w/ the Dunlops, but Ronnies Busa son likes them.

(Ronnies busa @ Nov. 29 2006,08:59) Gunny
I am with you I think the hand is my problem. I love to twict the right handle.
I think I need to take mine to the dealer for some warranty work, my throttle only has two positions on and off LOL

(Tufbusa @ Nov. 29 2006,01:31) If you are now running Dunlop Qualifiers, I'm not sure why you would want to step down to a michelin?

Actually, michelins make me as nervous as a whore in church. I've seen way to many wadded up bikes on michelins.

The one thing I have learned about michelins, if you are going to ride them hard and on the edge, you best be smooth or they will put your arse in the weeds.

Most guys that buy PP's don't ride them hard enough to make a difference so anything that's round without lumps will work just fine. Most street riders never get their tires on the bitter edge anyway. But I have seen tons of crashed bikes on PP's at track days. Seems half the bikes crashed are on PP's. PP's seem to stick well but when they let go, it's without warning, games over! The Qualifiers will give you plenty of warning before they give up. I like that! And, the Qualifiers will take more punishment before they get so hot they become greasy.

Qualifiers are the nearest thing to race tires I have found, without question. I believe they will inspire confidence in anyone who has not tried them.

Before you decide to flame me for being critical of michelin's, this is simply my opinion based on my experience with tires.
No flames brother, opinions always welcome especially backed by experience.
smile.gif

I have also been using the michelins PP would like to try a soft tire, but need the milage, even the PP at the milage of 5000 to 6000 has been getting expensive at 3 sets a year.

(manatrader @ Nov. 29 2006,16:59) I have also been using the michelins PP would like to try a soft tire, but need the milage, even the PP at the milage of 5000 to 6000 has been getting expensive at 3 sets a year.
Sounds like the new 2ct is your answer- same mileage when straight up but softer compound when leaned over!
smile.gif

(Ronnies busa @ Nov. 29 2006,08:01) Pilot Powers have been the only tires that I have ran since my bike was new. It now has almost 12K on it. I run the twisties every chance that i get. The only time i have felt uneasy was in the Texas hill country and I just wore the sides off of the front tire. I have the new PP 2cst on order in the 55 profile. It will be in this weekend and if the weather does not get bad here i will have some feed back on them.
beerchug.gif
Looking forward to that! Post up a new thread when you do, can't wait to hear.

(dadofthree @ Nov. 29 2006,08:27) has consumer reports or similar group performed a comparison test on bike tires ?

WHAT DO THEY RETAIL FOR ? $
Just saw one at the dealer yesterday, 190/50/17 $219!
SHOCKED.gif

Im glad this thread is going...  I have been researching the PP 2ct's for quite some time. I have spent considerable time and money setting up my suspension to hang with the R1's, RR's, and GXR 1000's I ride with in the Texas Hill Country Twisties.

I am to the point where my PP's are drifting in the turns when 120+ MPH. I have gotten my bike over far enough to drag pegs and have since raised it a total of 1 1/2" over stock in the rear. My chicken strips are starting to go away as my latest run has the tread wearing all the way over to the little arrow and the Michelin man on the edge of the tread.

A 55 series tire is a more "rounded" profile so therefore there is more contact patch when leaned over. I am still running a 190/50 PP and I am wanting to go to a 190/55 but the PP2ct's aren't out for another month or so. In the mean time I am contemplating going to a 180/55 PP2ct in order to get more contact when leaned over but I am hesitant to lose that additional 10mm of width when straight up. We all know how easy it is to spin with 190's.

The other thing to keep in mind that when going to a 55 series tire that the overall tire diameter will be larger as well. Even a 180/55/17 tire is approx 8mm larger in diameter than a 190/50/17 and a 190/55/17 will be approx 20mm larger in diameter than the 190/50/17 most of us run.

So I may just wait and get the PP2ct 190/55 unless someone can convience me to go with the DL Q's.

I have read on some other sites that the PP2ct's do get greasy on the track... who knows.

The best prices I have found online is here and you cant beat both front and rear PP2ct's for $285...:

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=421

(audial @ Nov. 29 2006,17:42) I have read on some other sites that the PP2ct's do get greasy on the track... who knows.

The best prices I have found online is here and you cant beat both front and rear PP2ct's for $285...:

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=421
WOW, great price!

So define "greasy"- does this mean the tires get slippery at the end of a long hot track session, or are they slippery when pushing it hard on civilian twisties?

I don't want anything on my wheels that gets slippery when pushed hard vs. staying progressive and grippy- if that's the difference in PP vs. Quals I'll stick to Quals.

(Shibumi @ Nov. 29 2006,15:03)
(manatrader @ Nov. 29 2006,16:59) I have also been using the michelins PP would like to try a soft tire, but need the milage, even the PP at the milage of 5000 to 6000 has been getting expensive at 3 sets a year.
Sounds like the new 2ct is your answer- same mileage when straight up but softer compound when leaned over!  
smile.gif
Michelin's newest mouse trap (PP 2CT) is not their own design. Bridgestone has been doing the dual compound thing for a number of years. Their BTO14 came out three years ago and is a great tire. I ran out six or eight sets of them and loved em! I actually prefer the BTO14 over the PP's. The PP's have a very thin casing. It's so flexible I find it to squirmy for my likeing. Under hard braking they felt like a snake and they didn't hold a line as well as tires with a stiffer carcass. I found tires with a stiff carcass gave me much better feel for the road.

(Shibumi @ Nov. 29 2006,17:04) So define "greasy"- does this mean the tires get slippery at the end of a long hot track session, or are they slippery when pushing it hard on civilian twisties?

I don't want anything on my wheels that gets slippery when pushed hard vs. staying progressive and grippy- if that's the difference in PP vs. Quals I'll stick to Quals.
You won't have any trouble on the streets with over heating. What makes a street tire greasy is overheating the carcass. You have to ride hard, really hard, to over heat a street tire. It takes a very good rider on the track to get them hot enough to get greasy. I've never seen anyone do that on the backroad twisties.

Street tires are designed to run cooler than race tires. Most race tires reach their optimum temp at around 180 degrees while street tires are more like 125 to 140. Most guys don't reach 180 on the track, much less on the twisties.

Back