Micron full exh. problems

OB_Bob

Registered
Just picked-up the Micron Full system w/carbon fiber oval. I live fifteen minutes from their office in Downers Grove, IL. and took their last one that was in stock. ($709.00 out the door) Anyway they claim to have sold these to others. (over 20) Anyone out there install this system yet?
I have the Dyno chart from Dynojet--they remapped the bike and will place the settings in a power commander module made for Micron. The Busa increased HP by 14-15 hp with this system over stock according to the DYNO chart.
Problems I am having:
1. Right collector from the number three down pipe hits the sump (just slighlty) Instructions say it might do this, but I called Micron and asked them to contact their parent comapany in the U.K. for comments, since me and their tech rep didn't see eye to eye. I will find out about this on Friday Morning.
2. The oil cooler needed to be shimmed out with 10mm spacers to clear the number 2 down pipe. They provide the 10mm bushing, however the oil cooler connection on the left side of the bike now will not fit since the cooler is farther forward! It interferes with the lower fan bracket.I probably could make this work by using a cutting wheel and removing some of the bracket, but do not intend to do this.
If they sold other systems one of you Busa owners must have one or know someone who does.
The power commander module is due in on Monday from DynoJet. So unfortunately, I can not provide any settings yet for remapping.
At this point if they do not have a good answer for the above its going back for a refund. I went with it over the Slip-ons or Yosh's full system due to the 14-15 hp increase they claim.
I knew it might be too good to be true.
Comments please.

BOB,i'm about one week away from finishing my 4mm over busa. i made my own pipe.but i've kept up on all the manufacters pipes and even the one's you haven't heard of. the one you have is the best one to date.for HP. installed properly. if HP gain is what your concern is, i recommend you wait just a little bit longer. there's even better one's coming real soon!!!! p.s. any little fab work is worth a HP gain. good luck! keep us informed.

Spoke with Micron U.K. today--Ian Palmer in R&D. He said that its normal for the system to make slight contact with the sump before starting it up The 304 stainless steel pipes expand after heat-up.
The fan bracket was still tight and I used a pnuematic cutting wheel to remove a tiny amount of the bracket to provide clearance for the oil cooler line on the left side.
Micron actually came out to my house today, but realize I am only about 10 miles away. He brought me a couple of shirts and wanted to see where and how they might improve the system fit. The tech. rep I had a tough time with on the phone yesterday called and apologized for being a bone head, as well. I guess Micron stands behind their stuff.
The 4-2-1 race system sounds great! I still do not have the power commander yet. Supposedly Monday or Tuesday. I will be on the Dyno 1st week of August. But, the power commander settings from DynoJet are supposed to be very damn close. 170 rwhp here i come.
Bob

Bob did you get the commander yet? Let us know what the results of your dyno run is...I have a micron that I have not had time to install yet. I assume you are now happy with the fit of the system....yes? Also how did the bike act with the commander on? Thanks in advance for the info!

You should not have those type of problems on a well made system. Sounds like they were in a real hurry to get it to market. I like the rest of you, have probly installed a dozen or two exhaust systems, and have never had fit problems on a quality system. Wonder what V & H are doing?

Yes i rec'd the P commander today. Just put in on but it started to rain like hell. poop!! I posted more details in the Power commander post-check it out if you like. It seems slick.
The problems i had with the Micron are relatively minor and I have no problem with it as long as I get the 15 HP. The only real issue is that I cut a small piece of the fan bracket (2 MM on the lower bracket near the left hand oil cooler line. Sounds great like a 170 rwhp bike should, and shed some weight. But i will say that the stock system is not as heavy as you might think. But, there are baffles located in the black X-pipe.
I do agree that for $700 bucks I should not have to cut anything. But, Yosh is not getting this type of power increase.
Bob

Bob did you say thay have dyno sheets showing this power increase? 15rwhp seems a bit much, but I guess you never can tell.

I had used the PowerCommander on our GSXR750 race bike, it's been 2 months ago and the PC-II was not out yet. They only had 1 fuel map and the bike was just about impossible to tune w/o a dyno and exhaust gas analyzer. There are AMA teams that have made 700+ runs on a dyno before they got the best tune. I realize that no one here will do 700 runs, it was just to make people aware that the PC-II can be a very complex beast.

Keep us informed on your progress, send the rain to us here in Kansas, we need it bad.

Bob do let me know what you think of the commander. Just finished tonight putting yosh duplex on my other busa and used yosh box to program. Have friend that has as of today installed 8 pipes on busa and has exhaust analizer and dyno in his shop...he only works on GSXR`s...period. His greatest horsepower gain using the yosh box and without a air filter and with the air box modified was 12 horsepower. He said pipe was good for around 5 with no remap and with box mod and remap good for around 5 or 6 more. He has dynoed a micron and said that there was not that much difference. He said to date he has pulled 170 pulls on dyno on busa`s. He said settings were +5 +5 +10 with no air filter. He recommended to NOT remove flap in airbox..it does make around 1-2 more HP but the driveability suffers badly.Hoping commander will be better than the yosh box.

Yes I was faxed dyno curves from DynoJet--they made many runs before finding the remap that worked best with the micron full system. The map in my p. commander is for this system with stock airbox. Call 1-888-963-1212 and ask for Mike (Micron). Tell him you want a faxed copy.
The dyno curves are there for stock bike (151.6 max hp), full micron without remap (162.5 max hp, but squirly power curve), full micron with remap (166.0 max hp) nice curve above the stock almost everywhere)
I agree it was done on one bike the settings may not pan out on my bike. Thats why I'm going to the dyno 1st week of August. And anyway this will probably be a better baseline to start from.
They could of also spiked the Dyno to help their numbers, who knows?
Who else can I trust and who else has something available? Your Dynoman is probably good, but for me he is just the same risk for credibility as DynoJet.
When you list the settings for the remap like they are in the above posts. What does it mean? You only show 3 settings. After briefly reviewing the DynoJet P.commander it doesn't make sense. You can make changes to dozens of settings if you take into account that a change can be made every 500 rpm and 5-10% of throttle movement. In addition, you can change timing the same way.
I am not an expert on remapping, so maybe its something i don't understand from lack of experience.
Bob

bob,when you go to the dyno. try to take out the baffle and packing. leave the end cap on.so then you'll have a open pipe with just a end cap...try to set your pw.2 up with this configaration.you should find more hp. on the top end.it may sacrafise some midrange, but the top end improvemant will be whorth it! also, your bike will then sound like it run's(fast).you live two hour's north of me and i know then you'll really turn the other rider's head's.up there....don't be content with a stock micron.tweek it out! our bike's do run differant then micron's bike.remember if you want to go with micron's settings then they should bring there bike to our region.then make a calabration setting to go on...let me know what your plans are!! p.s. keep looking for that horsepower you might be suprised.

Bob I think that with the commander it will be better but it will be tough to get exactly right. Will take a dyno for sure and exhaust analizer. With the yosh box all you can do is add or subtract the duration that the injector sprays fuel which makes it lean or rich.There are a low, middle and high map to use ...which means where you want in the fuel curve it to be richer or leaner. You can also richen or lean the iddle circuits which are done on a per cylinder basis. On the other all cylinders are programmed at once.I have a commander ordered for the micron pipe going on my other bike so we`ll see what works...I guess I`ll get someone to go out and ride and we`ll race both of them then switch off and see which one is faster....my kind of dyno!

Thanks Bob for the update...I have not had mine on a dyno but I could not ask for mine to run any smoother than it does now. Richening the idle circuits around and this is a guess 7-8% helped more than anything.Yosh recommends +5 +5 +0 I just went +5 all the way until I can get time to get mine on dyno. I still look forward to the commander to see what difference it will make. Thanks Again!

Frank
I was told that if I remove the baffle and packing I would melt down the carbon fiber sleeve. I don't have the titanium sleeve.
Rode last night with the p.commander installed with the .003 map from DynoJet. Ran much better than before in the low to mid range rpm's especially. This is what I expected. However, although better than before the power c II, it stills need adjustment lower rpm. I will work on it. I need to improve the idle quality as well, but i don't think i can do much about it with this system. I will call and check. I spoke with DynoJet yesterday, actually one of the guys who did the work on the bike I have the dyno curve for. He said that a portion of the horsepower increase is from properly breaking the bike in under load. He also mentioned that many runs were made while measuring exhaust gas, airbox temp, etc. Busa'a may be a little harder to break in on the street due to the tremendous amount of torque they produce. DynoJet loads the bike on the dyno. This means the Micron Pipe is probably only worth 8-10 hp typically.
The P. Commander II looks pretty powerful, but you need to monitor changes made carefully (dyno e.g.analyser,etc)or you could make worse quickly.
The three buttons on the p commander adjust rich\ lean fuel delivery in a broader range--0-3000, 3000-6000, 6000-9000 rpm. This is like the yosh i guess, which is why the posts above list changes such as +5,+5,+10. You need a computer to make full use of the p commander. You can also adjust timing which by the way was not changed at all in the remap they delivered with the unit.
Bob

BOB next time you talk to dynojet,tell them to make a " full blown "ignition box so we can spray with EFI.i'll buy thier 1st one,even thier prototype.what ever the price! sorry to here about the canister.i think your going to miss out on something.:>

cbxchris--No, I can not remove the packing and baffles until I change out the Carbon fiber sleeve to titanium or aluminum. Micron told me that the carbon fiber would melt.
I just checked my Throttle position sensor according to the procedure posted by David G on page 3 of the general discussion post. Jumpered out the two wires and received to alarm codes, just displayed C00, but the the dash - was on top of the C00, and I already know that my throttle is in 2%-3% when idling now based on what I saw on my power commander. (read above post). Problem is when I went to adjust the Throttle position sensor I did not have and could not find a Torx screwdiver for it. The socket head screw holding the TPS on has a small little pin in center of it, which means that the torx screwdriver must have a hole drilled in the end si it will insert!! Anyonbe know where i can get one of these?
Bob

Bob, somewhere I saw on this list that you could get the torx set at Auto Zone...anyone else know where? I need a set too. Bob do you intend on getting a titanium or alum. can for your micron?

Bob being that I have not seen the inside of a micron can this may not be possible. What about a super thin sheet of aluminum inside of the carbon can...would that deflect enough of the heat to run without packing? How about being the guinea pig so I don`t have to melt mine trying it...he he he...sounds kind of dumb but it might work.

Frank--If the power gain is worth it from the baffle/packing removal I can always change the sleeve for about $75.00. Power Commander II was in full use Saturday. You guys will like this thing for useful tuning. Although not on the Dyno yet, you can feel and hear the difference. I smoothed out the low rpm and idle. Added some ign. timing and found lots of power earlier in the rpm range--only good for screwing around on the street. Its very easy to use and have now saved 6 different set-ups that can be uploaded from my lap top in 3 minutes.
I also have a question?? Since DynoJet is closed today. When you connect your computer to the bike's p.commander you will see real time display of throttle position, fuel map %, timing, rpm, etc.
When my bike is off or idling my throttle position is 2% sometimes it will flip to 3% depending on the idle adjustment. I generally try to set this bike's idle at 1050-1100.
I was wondering if the throttle position should in fact be above 0% at idle. I realize the throttle has to open slightly to idle, but since I do not have manual (F--king back order like my exhaust gaskets, gel seat and everything else for this bird)I do not know what to do with the TPS?? It could have a negative effect on the Maps I received from DynoJet and maybe explain my low rpm issue i sorted through yesterday. Anyone know?
Bob

Well after reading post on taking baffle out I decided the baffle in the yosh pipe had to go. Well what a aggravating mess....had to drill all 8 rivets out and then decided to just take out packing which must have weighed 2 pounds....I`ve never seen this much packing in a pipe...ever. I sure hope micron has got a better set up than this...guess if I had not had pipes from the past this might not bother me so much. Well anyway It sounds like a 1300 now not a 600 and its hard to tell from seat of pants but it sure didn`t hurt anything. Bob did you try just taking the packing out and leaving in the baffle? Hope I get my commander soon...I`m anxious to play with it!

bob, wondering if you were at prostar last month in joilet? since we've done our own pipe i'd hate to comment on the micron's pc2 adjustments.there's going to be a differance.so i wont.if you keep running into dead ends let me know and we'll get it figured out.like i said i'm just 2hours below you... i think before i ripped up on something you might be wanting to sell here before to long, i'd probaly would try to put a old can off of something laying around. just check your o.d & i.d and leigth. drill and rivet if you have to fab it a little.if you come up with what i think you will then make the change. i dont want to sound like a salesman, but if you are changing? take a serious look at dennis murray's pipe. it should be done in a week or two. this guy has been a proven force in building horse power pipes for years..... let me know what you decide.

Back