nascar-moto gp

MotoGP is HUUUUGE compared to nascar.. nascar is almost exclusively a American sport.. motoGP is world wide..

I can't remember the exact numbers.. but MOTOgp has 5-6 times more regular viewers than nascar..

it's just backwards in the states.
Same thing with American Football I imagine (I don't watch that either.)

FYI, there are some non-NASCAR race tracks where you can watch the entire race, and if you watch the other tracks on TV, or on the big screens they provide at events, you get overhead/on-car/on-bike views etc.

And don't forget drag-racing.
uh.. yeah.. I know..  billy bob also brings his jumbo tron things to nascar events..  replays, in car, all that other jazz..

which road courses can you see more than just 1-2 turns of the track at one time?

My main complaint here is this bs like gold wanger is doing..

explain why your comparing a 50 yo stereo type nascar fan to the (already proven in previous threads) college educated family oriented fans of today?

Thats like me saying the typical goldwing rider is a 60yo man with a stuffed animal attached to the back and his fat wife using the intercom system every two seconds to talk about the wild flowers growing in the median of the interstate.
I did not say I don't like or watch Nascar. I do watch it, and of course I like it.

As for the Redneck thang. It's true, at least down here.

I'm a 47 year old fan and I'm very educated.
Engineering Degree, remember.

And the Goldwing thing, about the stuffed animals. Man you are more correct than you know. I see em all the time with a stuffed animal. Or as they say, a mascot. Most of the older wives are fat and they do talk on the intercom to much.

But after all this, where is the support and fan base of bike racing. I for one don't kno wthe answer.

Now, you were saying...

which road courses can you see more than just 1-2 turns of the track at one time?
Here's two off the top of my head - Donnington Park and Brands Hatch (both in the UK.) Both allow spectator access to the inside of the track as well as stands etc. on the outside. The course layouts aren't "flat", they're bowl-shaped which is why you can see most of the turns depending on where you sit/stand.

As has already been stated, NASCAR is popular with sponsors - and one of the reasons is because their branding is visible all the time.

I saw an interesting documentary about NASCAR a while back, where the marketers were reviewing post-race video footage to determine how much to charge the advertisers based on the percentage of time their advert was visible (this is why certain areas of the cars cost more to put your advert on.) They also had the Ceremony of the Hats, where the winner has to have multiple photos taken wearing the various baseball caps of his sponsors. There's even a Hat Manager who's job is to make sure all sponsors get exposure.

I'm sure the exact same stuff goes on in every other type of racing, but NASCAR cars make much better billboards because they're more brick-shaped and have a larger surface area to stick adverts on. This may be the main/only reason why it's promoted more than other types of racing.

Pardon my cynicism, but I'm sure if sailboats started putting multiple adverts all over their sails, that sport would magically become the most popular...

Pardon my cynicism, but I'm sure if sailboats started putting multiple adverts all over their sails, that sport would magically become the most popular...
Only if you put a jet engine on them and they could go 200 mph...
smile.gif

- or twin Hayabusa engines.

<!--EDIT|DAB
Reason for Edit: "HTML Discombobulation error"|1135290796 -->

As a motorcycle roadracer I appreciate all forms of motorcycle racing. They each have there own spin. The biggest problem I see with motorcycle racing in the US is the fans themselves. We don't show up to the races and spend money. I think there are two reasons for this

1. The tracks are not fan friendly as far as spectating

2. We can go to our favorite set of roads and have a great ride and see it on TiVo or DVR

Until we show up in mass numbers to races and execise our economic power we will be second class. Also the AMA treats racing as a hobby not a multi million dollar business. Look how Supercross has taken off with THQ involved.

There are a few more things to get two wheel racing in the mainstream but I don't want to preach here.

Merry Christmas to you all

Good Bless our Troops Deployed far from home!!

As a motorcycle roadracer I appreciate all forms of motorcycle racing.  They each have there own spin.  The biggest problem I see with motorcycle racing in the US is the fans themselves.  We don't show up to the races and spend money.  I think there are two reasons for this

1.  The tracks are not fan friendly as far as spectating

2.  We can go to our favorite set of roads and have a great ride and see it on TiVo or DVR

Until we show up in mass numbers to races and execise our economic power we will be second class.  Also the AMA treats racing as a hobby not a multi million dollar business.  Look how Supercross has taken off with THQ involved.

There are a few more things to get two wheel racing in the mainstream but I don't want to preach here.

Merry Christmas to you all

Good Bless our Troops Deployed far from home!!
Preach brother 222 preach.

I am a huge fan of motorcycle racing and hate to see things happen in the sport but for Gods sake let the poor man die and go(Dale Sr). Every where I turn there is a sticker in the window I guess I am a cold individual and really don't get it.
You think thats bad , just wait til Richard Petty dies. There will be mass suicides in the south.

Nascar is so big for a variety of reasons. For one, accessibility. Just about every huge network airs Nascar at least once a week. The Busch series is starting to gain some popularity. Most people drive cars so it's easier to relate to. Many of you have cited sponsorship money too. Also, you have the posers. Look at all the fools who wear West Coast Choppers apparel and dont even ride or have a clue about motorcycles. Same with any sport really but especially more so with Nascar.

I love the bikes first and foremost and I'll take any day of the week to watch AMA or MotoGp or even World Superbike. It's hard to relate to something if you're not passionately involved in the sport itself.

As Pure EgO said, MotoGP IS way more popular in other places of the world,except here in America. Same with F1 and WRC. America has always wanted to be different from the rest of the world and they sure succeeded at that.

Personally, I like MotoGP and AMA the way it is in terms of popularity (or non-popularity). It seems almost "semi-underground or cult-like" to enjoy the sports. There would be nothing worse than seeing a bunch of bandwagon posers who only like Rossi or Mladin not because of their skill, but only because it's the "cool" thing to be into. Just like the whole Jesse James and West Coast Choppers phenomenon.

I am a huge fan of motorcycle racing and hate to see things happen in the sport but for Gods sake let the poor man die and go(Dale Sr). Every where I turn there is a sticker in the window I guess I am a cold individual and really don't get it.
You think thats bad , just wait til Richard Petty dies. There will be mass suicides in the south.
Ha! The Richard Petty thing is hilarious!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I don't much care for Nascar. Don't know why.

I live for the GP and AMA's; I get violently pissed off if I miss a race and forget to Tivo it, much like many other member's who shall remain, (clearing the throat) nameless here...(geez okay: ego, mcmustang, stkr00, hayaboosta, valium; just to name a few...)
beerchug.gif

I guess I do know some of the big names in Nascar, and suppose I do very lightly follow it when the GP and AMA seasons are out. I mean, what the hell is on Speed then?

Admittedly, I did feel geniunely bad when Senior was killed in that accident; I mean, I actually felt bad for awhile...It was just such a freak result from the accident; I mean, sheesh! Like when Rainey was paralyzed in '93, you know?..."Who woulda thought?..."

On another note, just the other night I watched 'Anatomy of a Murder' from 1959, with Jimmy Stewart...and I was sad all over again at the loss of him on December 02, 1997. He was such a wonderful actor.

Geeeez!

Great; now I'm depressed.

J

laugh.gif

It would be nice to see a Moto GP Race aired on a sunday broadcast like nascar is but unfortunately I do not see it happening any time soon.  [/QUOTE]
Uhhhhhh....Speed Channel.....EVERY Sunday.

which road courses can you see more than just 1-2 turns of the track at one time?[/QUOTE]

Sears Point. 9 of the 13 turns (11 has an "A" and "B" turn) are viewable from at least 2 locations. NASCAR eliminates the back hairpin's, for obvious reasons
cool.gif
, and has 9(?).

<!--EDIT|newmill
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135837993 -->

Back