Neon Lights on a bike

Aceshigh

Registered
Question:

A few years ago I bought a few neon lights for my '03 R6 and never put them in due to someone informing me that the neon lights emit some kind of RF that interferes with the bikes computer and eventually can fry it out.

Now I don't know if this rumor is true or not, and i was told to steer clear of neons and go with LED's. I do know that network cables have to be a certain number of feet from Flourescent lighting in business building layouts due to interference, but I'm not sure about the Neon light theory with bikes.

Can anyone pipe in here that knows whats up with this.
Is it Fact or Urban legend I'm hearin ??
I'm asking cuz I want to use them on my Busa.

Been there done that. NEONS look great IMO. They cannot handle the vibrations of the busa and tend to fry out pretty quick. Go with LED NEO PODs or led's of some sort. Last forever and no battery draw. Rhythm's right about that. He did the LED"s when I had the neons. Wont fry the puter either.

JD

biggrin.gif

I have Nightstalker brand LED's on my Busa. I would highly recommend them. Nice and bright. Plus they seem to be a pretty good quality unit. I havn't had a bit of trouble with mine ever.

I had a complete set of Optix I bought from Advanced Auto...lifetiem warranty and put them on my bike.....bright to say the least. Then Busa1300Nut just had to have them so I sold them to him...<reason I painted my bike didnt need the blue neons anymore...> I replaced mine then with Red LED's .....let me say this....the neons are far more brighter then the LED's, we set for hours me and BusaNut with the lights on...and neither one has had a problem with the batteries draining...so there you go....I say go for it...
biggrin.gif

let me say this....the neons are far more brighter then the LED's, we set for hours me and BusaNut with the lights on...and neither one has had a problem with the batteries draining...so there you go....I say go for it...  
[/QUOTE]

What MCD rating was the LED's ?  Also what is the power consumption on the Neon light ?  I gurrantee neons will consume more energy verses there output compared to the LED's and wont hold up as long or well compared to the LED's.  
LED's have a lesser amp draw, are more concellable, cheaper,trouble free and will put out a brighter light based on its sized. If you want to cover a larger area on your bike just add more LED's.  Dont forget the higher the mcd rating of the LED the tighter the angle degree will be . Which means the light will be brighter with a narrow lazer beam pattern.

Dont trust me, just do your homework !

LED's are the way to go...Im installing em on my new car
biggrin.gif
... The Fast & Furious Look
laugh.gif

If you have more time than money like my broke azz, then you wont mind making your own as I have done in the past

Heres a photo of mine on the right compared to the first and last retail LED I ever bought on the left. The one I made only cost me $2 compared to the $12 LED one on left.  The LEDs and resistor I bought were from www.DIGI-Key.com and the Chromed LED bayonett was purchased from Radio Shack.  I made quite a few of them back in the day for myself and for a few others.

No skill or knowledge is required just call DIGI Key and request to talk to a Tech and tell them what you want to do and they will set you up with the correct sized resistors with whatever size LED you decide to go with.
Dont forget, the highter the MCD the brighter and narrow the light pattern .

You will also need a soldering iron and one those micro roach clip tool thingy to hold the wire and resistor when makeing your solder connection. Use clear silicone to seal that baby up !!!

I got mo time than money !!!!

Ty

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123761225 -->

DSC02209.JPG

You will also need a soldering iron and one those micro roach clip tool thingy to hold the wire and resistor when makeing your solder connection. Use clear silicone to seal that baby up !!!
I'll have to give this one a try when I have some time. How many LEDs did you put on your bike? I may need Creekboy's help with that special tool you recommend using with the soldering iron
laugh.gif

I'll have to give this one a try when I have some time.  How many LEDs did you put on your bike?  I may need Creekboy's help with that special tool you recommend using with the soldering iron   [/QUOTE]

Heres a shot of my Blu/Slvr 01 tricked out with my custom homemade indiglo gauges and LED's I made in the past.
I probably put about 20 LED's through out the bike.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123763258 -->

Heres my one and only indiglo chainguard I made also....
wink.gif

Save yourself the money, Sled and make your own, cuz it will diffinetly add up if you want it to look like this using LED's.

hey Rhythm......dont you need to have some brain box or something? How the hell do you turn them on or off??

Back