New Mambers Only: What did you do Prior?

G

Hello to everyone!

I would first like to thank all the members on this board for sharing their knowledge and experiences. I know we all benefit from this. So THANK YOU!

I'm 49, from Miami Fl, Aircraft Technician since 1969, work for FedEx and I'm on a temporary assignment in Mesa Arizona right now. I spent 26 years in New York before moving to the "Sunshine State". My first bike was a Honda 175 that practically lived and went with me everywhere. In 71 & 72 it went to Los Angeles and finally retired it in 74 when I got a Honda CB750 four. In 78 moved to Port Jefferson L.I. and brought a Suzuki RM-125 dirt bike that I sold before moving to Florida. Took a long brake in Flrodia until recently when I purchased a 99 blue ZX-9R. Just before I could bring my 9R out to Arizona my son crashed it and broke his leg. Bike was totaled and the insurance money was burning a hole in my pocket, so I went to a local dealer in Phoenix and was lucky enough to purchase a Black one right off the showrom. No wait, no Pain! Just luck! I have 2,200 mile on it and love it. The rest is history as they say.

It's a pleasure to communicate with all the member on this board. I hope to be able to meet some of you in person.

Hey Black Panther if you are up for a ride in Phoenix give me a call at work (480 988-7882)

Happy Holidays to All !!!!

Redelk, no experience with the Bridgestone 100, but the 350 really hauled. I also have a KDX 200 for trails, although I went back to the '86; smaller, lighter, simpler,air cooled, though not as much power.
Marmata, glad you're enjoying your Busa, although the thought of a new rider on a Busa anywhere near Boston is scary. The only time in the last 1/2 century I've been without a street bike was in the early 90's when I lived there. After checking out the roads and drivers, I sold my street bike in Calif. before leaving for Boston. Bought a new one the first week back in Calif. Boston has clogged roads, insane traffic patterns, oppressive speed limits, and the worst drivers in the known universe. The weather really isn't an issue, since you have a choice: ride or not. I did keep dirt bikes and a DP bike in Calif., so I didn't stop riding. BE VERY CAREFUL!

In 83 or so I came across a Husqvarna 250 OR that I used to get my street license and do some enduros on. Before that was sandpit riding in an old OSSA phantom. Wife at the time hated bikes in general and FORBADE streetbikes. She found better things to do in '85. I had been breaking myself and the bike in the middle of nowhere in enduros, so I bought a Husky 250CR and started motocross at the tender age of 32. With the dear wife departed that opened up room for a Honda 500 Interceptor. That was an absolute blast of a bike for a first streetbike. I wadded that in '89 and stayed off streetbikes till '92 when I resurrected a friends '85 FJ600 (hey it was cheap). As far as MX, I never got very good at it but had a blast. In '87 the Husky turned into an '86 KX500 that had the motor from hell (70 mph top gear wheelies no problem) but was a K bike so broke much and what didn't break fell off. In '91 that turned into an '89 CR 250, in '95 bought new CR250. After 2 operations and 22 broken bones in 11 years I quit MX Labor Day '97 and haven't been to the emergency room since. Saw a short article re:busa in Cycle News in fall '98 that planted seeds that FJ600 was long in the tooth. Had good argument with new wife in November '98, stopped at dealers and ordered copper Hayabusa. Got that late May and now things are wonderful with life, wife and bikes (fj600 is winter bike).

Age: 47 / Riding: 32 yrs. / Drags: 28 yrs Occ: MC wrench 1970~79 / Shop 80~92 / Real Est. 94~now. Most recent, prior bike: 98 ZX 9. Have others, before, and since. Chose Busa based on mag. articles. Big motor, not too heavy, wide power band, much hp to be had, long WB, good 1/4 mi. material. Chose copper, since unique color, well known on street. Had money on it since Nov. 98, had 1st one in San Diego, April 99. Would like to see some new faces at Carlsbad Raceway. To guys in LA area: carburated bikes can run 2 jet sizes richer, and as much as 1/2 sec. quicker than LACR (Palmdale), due to altitude. If interested, post reply. Can provide more info by E-Mail. Have a good one !

Hey - Don't apologize for my comments!! From everything I've read, FalconCop is a big boy and probably appreciated the comment more than most.

Well since you asked Kawabuser, check our webpage at www.bikeyard.com for a short biography and a history of the shop too. Click on the Motorcycle Handbook and then "About the author" for way more info than you really wanted to know. Thanks for asking bro, it is important to know a bit about each other and it helps make new members feel welcome.

FalconCop 161,didn't I read somewhere that you have a Yosh Duplex pipe. I'm curious since Yosh calls it a "race only" pipe. Sometimes Yosh is a little too conservative about things like that. How loud is it, and what kind of sound? I don't want to get too outrageous. I don't really need more power, but a ti. Duplex is a lot lighter and is supposed to retain good mid-range. Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

Nope - Not a cop hater. There's good and bad folks everywhere. Cops tend to get more vis when a bad one is uncoverd.

Just felt like giving you S***.

Age 35 (I think, lost track after 29). I work as security engineer at a major telecommunications company (AT&T) designing and managing the networks protecting/controlling access to/from AT&T's Corporate network and the Internet.

I've been riding since March '98, when I took my first bike ride on a Honda Nighthawk (as part of the MSF course). My first ride was a '97 States Blue Pearl H-D Fatboy, which I purchased a week before my MSF class started. In October '98, I convinced my wife, Elena, to learn how to ride (got tired of her riding on my back) and on November I got myself a '99 Cobalt Blue Pearl H-D Road King Classic ("allowing" my wife to ride the Fatboy ... aren't I nice!)

I ride EVERY day, no matter the weather conditions! I even became a certified MSF instructor on March '99, which happens to be around the time when I ordered my copper BUSA. I had just come back from Bike Week '99 where a friend (another MSF instructor who rides a VFR) had convinced me to ride a GSXR750 at the Daytona Speedway demo rides. I INSTANTLY fell in love with sportbikes!

About a month ago I sold my Road King! That was a sad day, but MY BUSA made me forget. Yesterday, I finally convinced my wife to sell the Fatboy (took quite a long time to do this, and a promise to buy a new sofa set for the living room). Went to Cycle Riders here in Longwood (Fla.) and ordered my second busa (a blue/silver Y2K) for "her" to use. Now she'll be able to keep up with me (actually, I won't have to wait for her any more).

THE REST IS HISTORY!

--Felix

Ok guys I'm 28, a cop (hopefully without as bad an attitude as FalconCop), the new dad of 10 month old, and from Arlington TX. Been trying to get out of the police business as it really screws your personal life up a bit working 2300 - 0700. Unfortunately it doesn't give you alot of experience for the business world. Don't really know how long I've been riding cause it's mostly been off and on with other peoples bikes. I've been following and trying to get on this site for about 3-4 months since I ordered my Busa. Went ahead and got a cheapo little 600 to hold me over till it comes in as I unfortunately missed out on the Busa last year. I've always loved Gixxers growing up and I figured now is the time to treat myself. Unfortunately I had to give up my pick-up to get the wife the car of her choice in order for her not to jump down my throat on all the cash I've spent on the bike so far. (cops don't make alot)

Yo! Grumpy..Relax..bro Don't jump on me just yet,,Don't be so uptight just because you read some previous post's.

Anyway Stay safe

161 ®

PS-Maybe TX cops don't make alot,,Jersey Cops Do,,Esp my Neck of the woods.

G'day All from downunder,

I am 44 with about 30 years riding up my belt. Born and grew up in London UK, but now living in Melbourne Australia, best spot on Earth, and good for bike riders, great twisties and you can park anywhere on the footpath.

Last bike was a ST1100 had 3 of them great bikes they are too, but got bored with riding so needed to be reminded as to how much fun it can be. So the Hayabusa was the best choice, have a copper with full Akropovic system and boy I am re-invigorated.

Great to be finally on the board and look forward in making good friends.

Catch ye (if I can)

I'm 36 - live in Dublin, Ireland.
First bike a Honda CB250N Superdream (I know, but I loved that bike). Had a rest from bikes 'til last year whe I bought a 1978 Suzuki GS1000 E - mint condiction to relive me youth on. Sold it to my friend last month and got the most beautiful Black & Red Hayabusa. I've got her up to 170mph on the motorway and then chickened out - the local Judge would have given me 3 months in the slammer if I was caught! I have to admit, I only like riding in the dry - rainy days has me in the car (it's nice to have the choice). Hope this doesn't mean I'm not a real biker - well I don't really care if it does. Nice to be on board.

Ok...20 years old and from Denver originally. I grew up in Europe and lived in CA for 4 years. I now live in Phoenix and the Busa is my second bike ever. My first bike was a kawi vulcan 500. Quite a step up i must say. Ive been riding however since i was 12. My profession is software development by hobby, technician for computers by profession. Im still looking for that golden opportunity to make my millions. Any questions? Feel free to ask.

~BP

My first bike - MZ 250S, (made by, what was then perceived by the Eastern Block governments as "Good Germans" in East Germany. Nice but ugly little bike that won five or six six titles in the Six Days Endurance race in the sixties and early seventies. Incidently, there is a conection between this bike and Suzuki: The chief engineer from MZ defected and ended up as a Suzuki consultant. After the Berlin Wall fell, MZ was reorganized and is now known as MuZ. My MZ was a primary transportation during my university years.I had a brief racing experience in what is the British version of speedway (four motorcycles racing on a loose surface), which I gave up after my friend broke his neck).In 1986 I bought Yamaha Radian 600cc. In 1997 - Bandit 1200,
June 1999,- copper Hayabusa.

Sokol

My name's Steve From London England, 30 years old, been riding 13 years.
I'm a boring old IT consultant!

Bikes previously owned.. Triumph Sprint, Yamaha ThunderAce (YZF1000 in the states) + zillions of little bikes!

Currently own a Hayabusa (Black) and Yammie YZFR1 and ride about 15,000 miles per year.

I'm preparing the R1 to race in the superstocks or new era open series for the year 2000.

I've been itching to join this site for ages! - I love the bus! (even though it conked out on me (surprise surprise blocked fuel filter.))

I am a production planner but who really cares about work. 37 years old,been riding 21 years first bike Honda 1980 CB750F got it brand new when I was a seinor in high school three years later CB1100F great bike for its time. Then in 87 got a Yamaha FZR1000 greater bike but nasty on the body after 30 minutes riding. Now waiting for my 2000 blue & silver hayabusa, cant wait.

Back