New Rider

One of the most remarkable things I have found among riders who have never taken any kind of a course is their belief that the rear brake is the one primarily used for stopping a motorcycle.

Scary.

IXLR8,
The Boss Hoss sounds really are music to the ears. They can also be out ran by the Busa, ZX-12, ZX-9, R-1, 929, ect. The list is longer if you take in handling. Jack.

Go for it! My very first bike was a '90 1100 Katana. I am 6'-4" and 220 so I am a little bigger than you are. Get the bike you want for your first bike if you are a disciplined person. If you do not trust yourself I highly recommend you start out with a 600. I did push too hard one time and ended up in a ditch at Deal's Gap ( www.dealsgap.com ) but it wasn't a bad accident. It was a good lesson in personal limitations. You are on the right track with planning to take a safety course. Take as many as you can at all levels. The most importatn thing is to watch out for people in cars and make sure you are seen as much as possible. Good luck! You won't regret riding.

...the Busa is certainly very easy to ride, but even if you do not kill self, you will learn a lot more and a lot faster on a tiddler...forget this dude's advise...he was lucky it wasn't bad, and I bet there is an inch or more of untouched rubber at the edges of his tires and a flat spot in the middle of the rear....

...hey not all of his advise is bad...in fact, I agree with all except the Busa as first bike part! Find a used RZ 350(115mph) or an EX 500(120 mph), or a SV650(130 mph) if you got the buks (if you dont like DR)...any will teach you a lot with out being too boring...or too expensive to drop...you may even want to keep one of them when you move up...

[This message has been edited by Hapo (edited 21 April 2000).]

Hey I'm getting my helmet/gloves/outfit this weekend...turbo and nitrous kits to follow shortly...

Thanks for all the great info. This site is educational and quite entertaining too.

I have a question...this past weekend, I saw a 'biker gang', and all were riding Boss Hoss motorcycles. Has anyone ever raced one? These suckers have 350 cubic inch 350 horsepower Corvette V8's tucked underneath. They look and sound intimidating, but are they quick/fast? Can a 'busa outrun one?

Get a DR650SE...they are fun and fast(100mph), and three crashes cost me about $250, and you can go anywhere...it is huge for a dirt bike, but light and handy for a 650 street bike, yet with a "substantial" feel...no sport bike guys wanted to race me on it unless the road was wide, smooth ,and straight...I miss mine.

My Busa has made me Insane.

Years of resposibility and maturity were blown away in a single ride! A thing Terrilbe to behold...I truly think you will have more fun and learn faster on a DR, even if you are not looking cool...the Busa *****(female K-9) made me sell mine to buy her nice things! Stay away from her! There are going to be enuff Busa Deaths this year as it is...

[This message has been edited by Hapo (edited 21 April 2000).]

Back