Nitrous Oxide on a late-model sportbike.

I saw the damage to Bobs work shop when I asked him about NO2, holes in a door and ceiling (20' up) and his story of leaving in a helicopter to the hospital.

If any of this happened on the street you might be lucky to live and not be run over by a car, the NO2 looks like something for a track only where the conditions are controled and an EMT nearby.

BOOM out go the lights!

That's why I have never played with nitrous and choose to extract all the power from the heads.Nitrous motors are high maintenance and sooner or later something will blow.It's very easy to go fast but it's like a drug,you want more and more,so the jets get bigger and bigger,until,BANG!!
Brock,I saw you get blown off the bike and I swear I felt it.I didn't know you broke your ribs,though.....glad your ok.Tell me,why do you spray the nitrous through the intake as opposed to directly into the ports?

you guys have just frightened the s__t out of me. I've run 120 bhp of nitrous in one hit, all last year. 1/4's, flying kilos, top speed runs, with a 5lb bottle. I run the NX nozzles as far in the port as possible and have never had a back fire. I run 40 deg less 8 on the nitrous with a dyna 2000, on 41mm Keihins into a modded stock airbox. using i think it was C16 or 23 fuel (which ever was recommended by VP). have I been lucky or have I got it about right. Ho! I have hit the rev limiter many times on the 1/4's. Should I just run my 1585cc motor notmally asparated instead while the goings good?

Do turbos suffer in the same way?They have a compressed charge of fuel and air.I have seen the intake manifolds bolted to the heads.
Gasabusa

Richard, I would run your setup before I would anything else thats I've seen out there now!(efi has been the SAFETY problem)

MotorHole,(Dennis) your running the wrong relay on the system you never want to talk about.(nuff said)

pighead?....Hahaha! "Come on Hair Man" you can do better than that?

window switches are only as safe as you set them up to be and only as fast as its slowest component.if you use that $2 relay your window system is a slug period.

Richard like Brock says all gas motors will sneeze sooner or later you and I have probably been lucky so far.How much power does the big daddy motor make now?If you give me you're approx wieght,wheelbase and gearing I'll see if you're going to beat me this year(tee hee)as I have a copy of PB's computer programme. It includes wheelie and wheelspin calcs as well as gearing and shift points its fairy good if I put in a good marker so you old times would also help.
Gasabusa

Motorhead can the solinoids respond that quickly?I know the electronics can.How about the gas in the pipes doesn't the pressure/gas take time to bleed off or am I missing something.
Gasabusa

Well Dennis, I see you can dish it out but you can't take it?!?!

Dennis, I'll bet your into "Nail Biting" aren't you?

Take that "Wig Wom" off your head and pet it, maybe that will help calm you down?

There is no need for you & I to speak about Nitrous anymore.

But if you want people to listen to you, then stop acting like you stuff is a Big Secret....

You tell a small portion of what your working with, and when someone ask you some facts, you tend to drift off?

Samething goes with your Airbox Mod's....you say "proven everywhere"..."4mph gain at the strip". Again, when someone ask you for facts(time slips, dyno charts) you only seem to produce pics of a "distorted airbox", "your Wig Wom", "a good looking Busa", and a "great looking dog".....

Dennis, I don't need the name calling.

Let's just stick with what I said up above!

(NUFF SAID)

solid state mosfet style relays like what you find inside the top of your stock stick coils move at much quicker switching speeds and as current get higher speeds remain constant.unlike reed relays that have physical switch reed size to limit the speed in which they can switch.so a solid state relay can be as fast as the actual switches that operate your ignition shutting the nitrous off within a couple of rpm.FRANK maybe you should use points on your bike instead smart asss!

[This message has been edited by THE MOTORHEAD (edited 05 April 2000).]

well have i got the dyno results for you.my 99 i returned back to stock box set up and it was 159 horse at all stock box set up then i did the boxand it went to 162.4 then i mapped and its at 166.6 166.9 167.9 etc.so there you go 9 or 10 horse and i'm still playin with stack configs.i'll wait for my stock injectors to come back from rc eng.and then i'll test and start the stack testing again.but on my bone stock 2000 box and long stacks gave 5 hp and the dynos brand new and tells me my mixture so i'll map that and see if i get the same results as the 99.frank i only tell you part so you'll think on your own.sorry its themotorhead way.

turning the solenoids back on or resaturating takes longer than turning off.no solenoids do not have a duty cycle that high.but shutting down can be very fast.and the faster they are told what to do the faster they can do it.though there is a limiting factor.time is of the essense.if you have the window at 8000 tosay 10700 the window of misfortune is miniscule.and the amount of residual fuel that trickles is minimal.your greatest concern is all that would be sprayed into the box at a slow engine speed or longer period of time that would allow a large enough raw charge to accumeulate in that box for an explosion to accur.but if the engine speed is high and or the intake air speed high the charge will be sucked into the motor.if its not at a high rpm its shut off,but the greater the head start it has to do its job the better.its not an arguement its physics and measurement of time, period.

<<but on my bone stock 2000 box and long stacks gave 5 hp and the dynos brand new and tells me my mixture so i'll map that and see if i get the same results as the 99.>>

Dennis, are you telling us that you put 4 long stacks ONLY, no other changes, and gained 5hp? THATS the way I read it?!?!

If thats the case, then I HAVE TO SAY..."BULL-SHT"!

I spent half the day on the Dyno with a STOCK 2000 Busa, and did EVERY airbox combonation there is....and there was nothing close to 5hp gain from just popping in a set of long stacks!(I can get access to the dyno sheets to show runs)

The MOST any combo showed was a 3.5hp gain.

The BEST was with a fully Moded Box, with 4 long stacks. 3hp gain & 4pds of torque.

All runs were in 5th gear.

You know what Dennis????

ALL THIS MEANS NOTHING!

The Airbox setup is nothing more than....2 velosity stacks(the inlet tubes), into 1(the airbox), into 4(the stock stacks).

What you do inside that Box is NOT going to make that much difference until the Air from bike speed, starts to pressurise the Airbox.

If you want to know whats going on with an Airbox Mod, then you better simulate the Ramair while it's sitting there on the Dyno.

A stock Airbox isn't fully working until 141mph.(who knows with a Moded Box?)

So what you need to Dial in for Ramair is a Dyno-Jet 250 that can simulate the Air Speed of what the rear wheel is doing.

Dennis, If you can tell Me where that can be done at, I'll be loading the Busa in the trailer!

Oh and Dennis, have you ever tried pulling the lid off the Airbox, just to see what #'s come on the Dyno?

Motorhead made Me THINK & WONDER also? Thats why after not seeing any FACTS, or getting any kind of STRAIGHT ANSWER.....I decided to check into it Myself. And those were the results I came up with....!

I really think Dennis knows what he's talking about most of the time? I'm the type of person that wants to know the facts, thats all.

When I go to BUY or DO a mod, I'd like to know some FACTS.

I'm not going to invest into something just because "this" or "that" guy says it works!

I'd like to think that I reserched the facts and read the tape before hand, so I knew some what more of what I was getting Myself into?(nothing wrong with that)
I just consider Myself as an opinionated person.(some like it, some don't)

Motorhead made Me THINK & WONDER also? Thats why after not seeing any FACTS, or getting any kind of STRAIGHT ANSWER.....I decided to check into it Myself. And those were the results I came up with....!

I really think Dennis knows what he's talking about most of the time? I'm the type of person that wants to know the facts, thats all.

When I go to BUY or DO a mod, I'd like to know some FACTS.

I'm not going to invest into something just because "this" or "that" guy says it works!

I'd like to think that I reserched the facts and read the tape before hand, so I knew some what more of what I was getting Myself into?(nothing wrong with that)
I just consider Myself as an opinionated person.(some like it, some don't)

Back