Nitrous Oxide on a late-model sportbikes.

This is the bottom line..... If you can walk past a bike and SEE the carbs/throttle bodies, WHEN a nitrous backfire does occur the explosion vents towards the atmosphere.

For those of you who do not know: when nitrous oxide is injected into an engine, the system continues to function even when the intake valve closes, during the compression and exhaust cycles. The fuel/nitrous mist has no place to go during this time except backwards. I have photos of my pro-mod bike with a white mist following the carbs at 175 mph !

If the bike is equipped with a down draft/ram air/enclosed type system,(this generally began in the mid 90's) this mist is either trapped in the air box or in the hollow metal cavity underneath the tank.

If, for any reason, this mixture ignites
(bog, hitting the rev-limit, rich condition due to bottle pressure drop or insufficiently filled bottle, poor jet spread selection, weak spark plugs, mechanical failure..... Whatever, etc.etc.
Carbs/ Fuel injection...... It does not matter!)

YOU HAVE A LARGE VOLUME FUEL BOMB, WITH PLENTY OF NITROUS OXIDE AVAILABLE TO ACCELERATE THE EXPLOSION!!

If anyone has a suggestion, aside from not spraying late-model bikes...I'm All Ears!

Brock

ps I have sprayed everything from lawn tractors to motorhomes over the past 15
years......they ALL eventually backfire!

pss. Even Hayabusa.org hero Bob Carpenter got blasted off of his dyno testing a nitrous zx-11. He was nearly killed.

Back