QS and oil

Lab? Interesting, I like measurements, let's see where and how much...
My bike stays outside but under a waterproof cover, protected also from the salt they throw against black ice.
What is the relation with the oil quality?

Below is the last oil anyalysis, I guess the last time I changed the oil was 7 years ago. Bike is due for its 15,000 mile service, I will have the oil analysed again this time, but it looks pretty clean in the sight glass.

In short the analysis says no problem with oil sitting in the bike for a long time and suggests I try a 6,000 mile oil change next time.

When your bike sleeps outside and a hot engnine cools down, it breaths and once it has cooled down to a low temperature you will get condensation, which means water in the oil. After a year it will actually show, as the oil in site glass will become cloudy.

BTW, I tried Agip, now ENI and then Mobil 1. Both lost their viscosity below rating pretty fast, within 500 miles, the Sylkolene seems to work just fine, so I will stick with it.

Also BTW, there is no such thing as a true full Synthetic oil, crude oil is still the origin where it starts. The regulations here in the US are a bit more slack than Europe, regarding how extenstively what is called "Synthetic" is processed and the quality of the base oil.

Oil analysis.jpeg

Last edited:
Below is the last oil anyalysis, I guess the last time I changed the oil was 7 years ago. Bike is due for its 15,000 mile service, I will have the oil analysed again this time, but it looks pretty clean in the sight glass.

In short the analysis says no problem with oil sitting in the bike for a long time and suggests I try a 6,000 mile oil change next time.

When your bike sleeps outside and a hot engnine cools down, it breaths and once it has cooled down to a low temperature you will get condensation, which means water in the oil. After a year it will actually show, as the oil in site glass will become cloudy.

View attachment 1680407
and a good opportunity to remember the periodic system!!! :thumbsup:

BTW, I tried Agip, now ENI and then Mobil 1. Both lost their viscosity below rating pretty fast, within 500 miles, the Sylkolene seems to work just fine, so I will stick with it.

Also BTW, there is no such thing as a true full Synthetic oil, crude oil is still the origin where it starts. The regulations here in the US are a bit more slack than Europe, regarding how extenstively what is called "Synthetic" is processed and the quality of the base oil.

View attachment 1680407
Good stuff sir. Is that slightly elevated Si due to a dusty conditions or free flow filter perhaps?

I believe Si is usually attributed to external contaminants, basically dirt, getting past filters etc. Loads more to oil analysis. I use it for aircraft maintenance tracking and there is far more I don't know than do at this point. Thanks for sharing.

I believe Si is usually attributed to external contaminants, basically dirt, getting past filters etc. Loads more to oil analysis. I use it for aircraft maintenance tracking and there is far more I don't know than do at this point. Thanks for sharing.
You are correct, I misread that as silver instead of Silicon.

These are state of the art motors that run fine on the OEM oil for decades, if the OEM oil is used and changed at least at the regular intervals, why look at used oil?

Have you ever changed anything with your bikes oil because of oil analysis?
Yes I have. If you read a few posts up, I was not satisfied with Mobil 1 and ENI /Agip.

They use a less expensive additive package and after about 500 miles the viscosity drops well below what Suzuki recommends. For the motor, that is no big deal, but for the transmission that is not ideal.

Also, I have changed my intervals to 5,000 miles and don’t bother with changing oil once a year.

Last edited:
These are state of the art motors that run fine on the OEM oil for decades, if the OEM oil is used and changed at least at the regular intervals, why look at used oil?
Lots of Gen1’s with transmission issues.
Have seen high mileage Gen 2’s with slight pitting on the camshafts.

Suzuki does not make oil, so who knows where it came from and is packaged here in the US?

Finally, for most there is no need to do oil analysis, they can use any reputable brand, change it every 3,000 miles or once a year and it should never be a source of problems.

For me my bike is not a means of transport or a use item. It is an item of leisure, a hobby and I enjoy knowing and understanding as much detail about it as possible. As far as services and repairs, no one touches it but me.

Hello,

My gen3 busa has already 5600 km and I usually spend around four hours per week doing u-turn drills at 1st gear of course.
The picture below of the engine oil window was taken just in the middle of my exercise with the bike very slightly bent to the right, to lean on some fixed obstacle with side-stand stretched out of course ;-)

View attachment 1680252
The first maintenance was properly done at about 1200 km, if not mistaken.
Now, is the oil too dark? ... meaning need to change asap?
Another question concerns quick shifting: it frequently blinks when operating the clutch to change gears down (approaching lights and so on).
Ignore it or does it mean something?

thank you for your time
For your reference here is a photo 60 miles (Somehow if the weather is nice it alway take longer to get back home...) after the very first oil change:
Screenshot_20240322-144807.png

Has anyone done analysis on Suzuki Oil?
I use Suzuki Ecstar R9000 full synthetic so it would be nice to see an oil analysis on it. Sometimes when manufacturers of oil say it meats could also mean it has the minimum required. I don’t ring the life out of my bike so most any quality oil should get me 100,000 miles which I’ll never reach.

I use Suzuki Ecstar R9000 full synthetic so it would be nice to see an oil analysis on it. Sometimes when manufacturers of oil say it meats could also mean it has the minimum required. I don’t ring the life out of my bike so most any quality oil should get me 100,000 miles which I’ll never reach.
I don’t think anyone else does oil analysis here, regret not sending a sample when I did the first change with the oil the factory put in the bike.

Will be interesting to see the makeup of the ecstar oil. Send a sample to Blackstone, it is not expensive.

I know there was a member here, long time ago who had high mileage using only Suzuki oil, and when he checked valve clearances he posted pictures of pitting on the camshafts. Think it was a Gen2. I’ll see if I can find the post.

^^^^^^

Here is the link

Also, see post #9 in that link.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone else does oil analysis here, regret not sending a sample when I did the first change with the oil the factory put in the bike.

Will be interesting to see the makeup of the ecstar oil. Send a sample to Blackstone, it is not expensive.

I know there was a member here, long time ago who had high mileage using only Suzuki oil, and when he checked valve clearances he posted pictures of pitting on the camshafts. Think it was a Gen2. I’ll see if I can find the post.
That was on a 100k motor. was it not?

It's that time for my Busa.

I always wonder if all that stuff written on the container is true or BS. Who would ever investigate and prove them wrong?

Interesting statement, "can deliver performance standards up to ........"

So if it can't that is not controversial I guess, they are covered.

That said, after using three different brands, this was the first one which gave the oil analysis results I was looking for, so I am sticking with it. I think the Brit's where this comes from are a little more honest than the Americans, when it comes to oil standards and marketing, but who will ever know.

Silkolene.jpeg

Back