Quite a show!

moondog

Donating Member
Registered
Went on my usual early Saturday am ride, beautiful, cool morning...Totally uneventful. Until coming back into town. I was two back from a belly dump truck, all of a sudden, a complete wheel comes flying off the trailer. We were all going about 50 so the wheel became a missle just off to the right. After hitting a ditch, it went about thirty feet in the air, bouncing wildly when it came down. It starts heading for a construction site where there are three unsuspecting guys shoveling gravel and a backhoe working....by now, I'm thinking bowling...just before it gets to them, it hits a mound of dirt and goes right over the top of the backhoe and lands on a mailbox. It explodes like a roadside bomb sending bricks and wood flying into the street. The wheel then takes a sharp left back out into traffic almost nailing a tahoe, hits a tree and comes to a rest. Mind you, all this happens in a split second. For a moment, I thought I had just aquired Moon Trucking.....or the wife at least. I can't imagine that wheel hitting a bike, would have been all over...you never would have seen what hit you. I'm going to buy a lotto ticket today....woohoo!

wow.gif
whoa!
wow.gif

wow.gif

saw a tire explode on a dump getting on the interstate...good thing i wasnt behind it but know what you mean

Glad your ok. Closest I ever came to that was a truck losing a tire in front of me. It shot off the truck and flew right at me. Luckily I saw it start happening a few seconds before it shot off and made sure i had room to swerve. Had a ladder fall off a truck in front of my car once too. I have heard of tires falling off of trucks on the highway before. It is amazing home much they can bounce at high speeds. Except for the danger factor, almost would be cool to see in person.

Ya, buddy....my underware almost became an internal organ after that one. Do you ever get the feeling everytime you get on the bike you're just throwin' the dice? I guess it's all just a numbers game, when your numbers up I guess it's up....no matter where you are....it's ok, my bags are packed
wink.gif

Glad you were only a spectator.

you cant trust those trucks, I know the some guys that work on them and lets say they arent my first choice when it comes to brains.

The wifey freaks out when we even gets near them on the interstate, give me an excuse to speed.

<!--EDIT|heavybusa
Reason for Edit: "it happens"|1154224245 -->

nice miss! I had an incident with a mud flap on the freeway. Scary stuff! Happy riding!

Back