Race Railz installation help

Has anyone installed Race Railz instead of sliders on a Gen II ?? The mfg shipped the railz & a bag of parts but no instructions. I'm not getting very far with the mfg on "how-to", and I hate playing guessing games that include punching holes in the side fairings.

Any help is greatly appreciated :banghead:

yea....several phone calls then got a couple of a different product pics (full cages which I dont want). :moon:

I'll figger it out, was hopin someone else suffered the pain first

yea....several phone calls then got a couple of a different product pics (full cages which I dont want). :moon:

I'll figger it out, was hopin someone else suffered the pain first
I have done a set. They are very easy and no they do not give you instructions. PM me a phone number and I will walk you through it.

I did mine also on a Gen1. Took a few to study what they sent and where it was supposed to go. Lurch did his first and gave me a few pointers. getting the hole centered is your biggest issue. Many ways to do it, search our forums. I used a lazer level and marked the outside. Luck bro!

Am I the only guy who would refuse to buy an item from a company that doesn't even include good instructions.???

Thanks to the oRg though to help pull a guy through.:thumbsup:

You should do a brief write up for future installers. :bowdown:

Good idea Robert. That never crossed my mind.
I will do it in about a month when the riding season is over here. I will take mine off and do a step by step write up with pictures.
Man you are so smart.:poke::laugh:

As for the other post post about being the only person to not buy from a company that does not give good instructions. I, along with the 3 other people I know who bought these and installed them, did not know they did not come with instructions until after the purchase. We all bought them at different times and did not inform the others of the issue until we went to install them and called and asked about instructions.

Has anyone installed Race Railz instead of sliders on a Gen II ?? The mfg shipped the railz & a bag of parts but no instructions. I'm not getting very far with the mfg on "how-to", and I hate playing guessing games that include punching holes in the side fairings.

Any help is greatly appreciated :banghead:
if you don't mind, will ya throw up some pic's of that gen2 once you get it hashed out and installed? that would be much appreciated. :beerchug:

That's the most precise method I've seen so far. :thumbsup:

The laser level worked for me, but I saw a write up on the org where one of our members sharpened a bolt and threaded it into the motor mount. Put the side on and it left a mark at center. pretty clever.

I went to Lowes and bought a 1 1/8 Forstner bit. They are hard to control and i suggest drilling a 1/8 pilot hole, but it cuts clean and stable as opposed to a flat wood paddle bit or a hole saw.

This is the drillbit I used. It is not "cheap" but it was I use to drill holes in electrical boxes and machines for electrical fittings.
I used a 1 3/8" bit so I had a small clearance around the bar
Makita Bit.jpg
A link to a place to buy them.
Makita 714078-A 1-3/8" Carbide Tipped Multi Purpose Hole Saw - 714078-A at Toolsforless.com

Makita Bit.jpg

Its not that difficult. I put railz on my 07 ZX6 and it took like ten min. I havent put them on my 08 Busa yet, but thats in the near future. The only difference i can see in installing these on the Busa is cutting the fairing to attach the top portion of the rail. The bottom portion should fasten via a long threaded bar that came with your railz. This slides through the frame of the bike right above the pegs and a little forward. Youll know its the right hole cuz you can see right through the bike. Other than that, get a hole saw and start cuttin' cuz thats the only way to attach to the engin mounts

if you don't mind, will ya throw up some pic's of that gen2 once you get it hashed out and installed? that would be much appreciated. :beerchug:

I would also like to see a before/after pic if possible...I've been rolling this idea around for a while now and haven't seen a GenII install yet.

+1 for laser...seems like a perfect way to dial in location. I usually hafta "find" the mounting points when re-installing my plastic and I think I might disturb the marker or double hit if I tried the sharpened bolt or putty.

When I put my sliders on my Gen 1 I guessed pretty close where the hole in the plastic needed to go, and drilled a 1/2 inch hole there. Remove the engine mounting bolt.
Put the plastic back on and hollowed out the hole with the dremel sanding tube (below) to the point where I could get the bolt in and put the slider and bolt up to the plastic, started the bolt and then marked the outer edge of the slider on the plastic with a felt pen. Trim off the rest with the Dremel and you're done. You can do it right on the bike, don't even have to take the plastic off the second time.
15 minute job each side.

Dremel Sanding Tool.JPG

Just wondering has anyone tried combining a "no cut" mount combined with a "race railz" set up? I figured you can cut the race railz in half, and weld an extension tube ( approx. 1 inch) to make it longer. The extra inch should compensate for the mounting brackets for the "no cut" frame slider mounts. What do you guys think?

Back