Rolling Bobbin/spool recommendations for Gen 3 Busa.

Viridis

Registered
Hi I would like to know what are considered a good quality and fitting rolling bobbin/spool for a Gen 3 Busa?
And whether I need to offset them at all, if so what size spacers and bt lengths?

The bike is stock, no tail tidy, stock pipes, so it needs to be able to have the stand not hit the mufflers.

I also have to replace my old paddock stand, any godd brands/models that anyone from Australia knows are available here?
Can't seem to find Pit Bull here.

Thanks everyone

Motorcycle Racing GIF by MotoGP™

local #HarborFreight has them *

Between hourglass shape ones and those that have a longer flat part, is one more preferable than the other?
I would imagine the hourglass shape would be more finicky to line up, but would ones with a longer flat center be more likely to allow the stand to scratch the swingarm?
Thanks
Welcome to the .org!

1000012934.jpg

1000012937.jpg

I get the fact that you don’t want to scratch the swing arm, I too am anal about that. I got bobbins that have a wide opening but that caused my stand to rub the finish off the swing arm just a very small spot because the stand can go a little left and right. I think the hour glass bobbin would give you a fixed position for the stand not allowing it to move. I don’t have a tail tidy so Pit Bull said I needed a front handle stand so I did and it works well, it clears my OEM exhaust and my Yoshimura slip ons. I also prefer the front handle because I have a better and safer grip on the bike.

Thanks, OK I'll just do research on the stands then, we can get Woodcraft here, so I'll read up if they are any good.

Woodcraft makes good stuff.
Bolt on the 'hourglass' style and leave it.
Most quality stands are adjustable, meaning that the grooved part that fits into the spools can be adjusted left or right.
Fit the stand into the spools loosely, then tighten the stand down, and it's done.
The adjustability of the stands allows them to work on multiple bikes.
I had a rear stand with the flat plates too, but sold it with a bike a few years ago.
I wish that I had kept it, as I work on alot of bikes, and every once in a great while something funky comes along to where that type of stand is very useful(Buell), but otherwise, and for one bike, the spools and a good rear stand that fits them is set it and forget it.
I adjust the width on my rear spool stand for multiple bikes as well.

I get the fact that you don’t want to scratch the swing arm, I too am anal about that. I got bobbins that have a wide opening but that caused my stand to rub the finish off the swing arm just a very small spot because the stand can go a little left and right. I think the hour glass bobbin would give you a fixed position for the stand not allowing it to move. I don’t have a tail tidy so Pit Bull said I needed a front handle stand so I did and it works well, it clears my OEM exhaust and my Yoshimura slip ons. I also prefer the front handle because I have a better and safer grip on the bike.
Seeing as the spool mount is inset, did you use spacers at all? I also messaged Woodcraft they said the bobbins might hit the OEM exhaust of the Gen 3 under suspension on the road. Is the window to work within really that small, or are they mistaken?
Cheers

Screenshot_20240908_084250_Gmail.jpg

Seeing as the spool mount is inset, did you use spacers at all? I also messaged Woodcraft they said the bobbins might hit the OEM exhaust of the Gen 3 under suspension on the road. Is the window to work within really that small, or are they mistaken?
Cheers

View attachment 1687195

The threaded spool mounts are on the bottom of the swingarm, in front of the axle...I can't see the suspension ever bottom that hard.

Cheers

View attachment 1687195
I weigh 255 pounds and my OEM exhaust have never hit the spools, although I have never given that any thought but I’ll check tomorrow and get back to you. I never ride two up. I also did not use any spacers. I’ll get a couple of pics too and post. The reason I suggested using the hour glass spools is I’m thinking they would require the stand to be adjusted just a little bit wider which would keep the lifting brackets off the swing arm eliminating the brackets from hitting and scratching the swing arm. I’ll send pics of that tomorrow also. I like the front handle rear lift because I removed my grab bar and without the grab bar you don’t have as good of grip holding onto the hump. I’m 63 and have joint pains so I don’t trust myself like I use too.

I weigh 255 pounds and my OEM exhaust have never hit the spools, although I have never given that any thought but I’ll check tomorrow and get back to you. I never ride two up. I also did not use any spacers. I’ll get a couple of pics too and post. The reason I suggested using the hour glass spools is I’m thinking they would require the stand to be adjusted just a little bit wider which would keep the lifting brackets off the swing arm eliminating the brackets from hitting and scratching the swing arm. I’ll send pics of that tomorrow also. I like the front handle rear lift because I removed my grab bar and without the grab bar you don’t have as good of grip holding onto the hump. I’m 63 and have joint pains so I don’t trust myself like I use too.

I remove the hump when lifting onto a track stand. I hold onto the brace where the latching mechanism is. Mine has a real lean when it’s on the side stand so I also put the side stand down on a 1” board before lining up the stand with the spools.

Thank you, I'm looking forward to the pics.
I just ordered some Evotech (attached pic) as many of the other bobbins/spools being sold within Australia aren't the hourglass shape. I am considering on buying the Woodcraft paddock stand (also pictured), as it's height adjustable and should clear my OEM rear fender. We don't have Pit Bull stands here and most of the stands here are not height adjustable, and are likely to get in the way.

Screenshot_20240908_091620_Chrome.jpg

25-01051_1_900x.jpg

Thank you, I'm looking forward to the pics.
I just ordered some Evotech (attached pic) as many of the other bobbins/spools being sold within Australia aren't the hourglass shape. I am considering on buying the Woodcraft paddock stand (also pictured), as it's height adjustable and should clear my OEM rear fender. We don't have Pit Bull stands here and most of the stands here are not height adjustable, and are likely to get in the way.

View attachment 1687222

View attachment 1687223
I added 4 pics, looking the setup I don’t see it likely the bobbins would ever hit the exhaust. In one of the pics you can see where the lift rubbed the black finish off on the bottom side of the weld. I’ll probably look for some wider bobbins to prevent this any further. The Pit Bull has very strong rigid height adjustable brackets. Good luck!

IMG_0477.jpeg

IMG_0476.jpeg

IMG_0473.jpeg

IMG_0479.jpeg

Currently running Woodcraft on mine, I have had several sets, but the underlying issue was that my Pitbull Stand chews up the lesser ones. They sell 2 different variations, these are the wider ones. Nice thing is that woodcraft sells individual replacement spools so if you harsh one, you just replace that part.

Thank you all for your help, it was very much appreciated.
I ordered some bobbins and leather this week will order the Woodcraft stand.

Back