Running 180 rear tire vs. 190

Running 180 rear tire vs. 190 - Pros and cons.

• 180 Rear Tire

Votes: 81 100.0%
  • 190 OE Rear Tire

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Big Red @ Aug. 18 2006,18:21) If some one is going to all thE trouble and expense to spoon on 55 series tires why not also use a shorter swing arm and chain to make the bike really turn in
+1 Not a shorter swingarm but 1/2" shorter than stock by taking 2 links out.

When I need a rear tire I will go with a 200 as well as a 520 chain and sprocket conversion with 4 inch swing arm extensions!

If you're running the factory or factory size wheel:

The 180 will give you a larger contact patch on the straight run ( drag ) for better traction.

The 190/55 is suppose to give you a better handling tire for the twisties.

Being a mere mortal I run 190/50 laugh.gif

i have 180/55's on one set of rims for time spent playing in the twisties...i have 190/50's on the other set of rims (although i will probably change to 200's when i wear these out) for when i'm traveling across country or just putting around with my hardley riding friends

i can tell the difference on ease of turn-in and grip with the 55's but they definitely wear out quicker on straight up riding as there isn't as big of a contact patch...you just have to decide what kind of riding you want to do and set your bike up accordingly (or get enough parts to be able to change back and forth)

i just ordered a 200 so i hope it goes well i got a set front and rear pirelli diablo's for $195 for the 200 for the rear and a stock size for the front

I have been using the Metzler M3 180/55 tire since my change from the Shinko last year when I bought the bike. The only way I would change from the 180 is to go to a 190/55.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back