running light problems

Don't need a relay. I am on the phone with Justntym helping him get this straightened out.

Don

redkat all the relay does is slow down the blinking rate when you are running led turn signals. leds do not pull as much juice and blink much faster, you either run a relay or resitors to slow the flashing rate back to normal.

(USN05LE @ Jul. 07 2007,17:flamethrowing:) Don't need a relay. I am on the phone with Justntym helping him get this straightened out.

Don
Good man!
super.gif

I have the exact same issue and as I come to find out, we have the exact same taillight... hmmmm.
So, PM Sent - I would like to get on the phone with you and try to run this thing down.

MCM

Rock,
Not sure if they did or not. I talked to both Brad and Shawn yesterday. The common denominator is the CA integrated tail light. They both have the same symptoms. I have the switchbacks installed w/no relay and a UFO undertail. I have the load resistors from CA, (used to have the intergrated tail light before the switchbacks), installed to slow the blink rate down. In my conversation with Brad, he has his wired exactly like I have mine wired. It has to be something with the tail light. Hard to troubleshoot from half way across the county on the phone.

Don

I'm thinking about doing the switchbacks also. Hope he got it. I'm running the hotbodies tail, so I'll get the resistors too. Did you run them up front or out back?

Not resolved as of yet, I did pick up some bosch relays and I'll try to put them in tonight...if I can get time
crazy.gif

I'll update asap on this possible fix.

Maybe I should go home sick...(cough, cough)

IMO I'd trace the running light wire back to the harness that plugs into the upper fairing.  Then on the bike side of the harness, I'd find alternate ignition power and splice into that.  No need to worry about overloading whatever circuit you tap into, LEDs require very little current anyways.  Both the relay and this will do almost the same thing since both use alternate power.
smile.gif

On another note, I had no problems because I rewired my whole upper fairing. lol.  But I did use an alternate ignition power for mine (for the running lights and Raptor shiftlight) when I did because for some reason when I'd flip my low beam HIDs on (hi and low beams are re-wired to work indepenantly of each other) and my shiftlight would cut on and off when I would. All is good now.
smile.gif

smile.gif

Extra relay did not work.

Used the resistor that came with the clear alternative tail light on said tail light...BINGO.

Works like a charm
super.gif

ok i just got my ufo on the doorstep when i got home and so will i likely run into thus problem with my 06 once i go to the switchbacks?

(redkat05 @ Jul. 10 2007,14:06) ok i just got my ufo on the doorstep when i got home and so will i likely run into thus problem with my 06 once i go to the switchbacks?
Redkat,
I have the UFO on mine and use CA load resistors. Blinks at DOT rate. Works great. Even without the resistors it worked fine, I just don't like the fast blink. It was not as fast as Justntym's was tho.

Don

Ok so i drew up a CRUDE diagram. Anyone that's done this can they tell me if i'm right? The turqoise wires spliced together into the brown euro wire. And the two black wires from each signal spliced together and to an available ground?
View attachment 1141327

ok so using the old tail light sockets, theres a brown wire, white/black wire and black wire with a white stripe

now question is, what are the power wires and ground wires respectively on the rear sockets and the front sockets so I know which wires to splice together? I assume the black wire with white stripe off to the side of the rear sockets is what i'd splice to the brown euro wire upfront, am i right?

View attachment 1141341

problem being that there's a black and white wire with the euro connector and with the stock front connector. I would assume that the power wire for the rear tail 1157 socket is the brown wire. That being said, do I splice the brown from the rear tail socket to the brown on the euro connector, the black/white wire from the rear tail socket to the black/white on the euro connector and the white with black stripe then to what?

Maybe this will help. Its crude but somethin like this would help me out. I tried to make it as literal and obvious as possible. I could've made it nicer but i wanna get the bike put back together.

runninglightsdiagram1.jpg

Back