Shifting / clutching habits

So then the question becomes why buy a quick shifter?

For a couple of reasons...

In drag racing, even 0.1 sec is important, and quick shifter will do the same thing quicker and more consistently than a human can, even with clutchless upshifts - saving 0.1 sec, 0.2 sec, or even more in the process.

In road course racing (if quick shifters are allowed, which I am not sure about), saving a few tenths of a second here and there adds up, and a second or two can be shaved off a lap time. This is very significant, as this might move a racer by a few positions up.

Some people are too lazy, or simply prefer not to deal with manual shifting.

It doesn't seem to matter if you use upward pressure or not, as long as there isn't engine braking or throttle, it will just slip into the next gear. I think the upward pressure just means it moves immediately when it can, limiting the pause between shifts to the bare minimum.

I tried it this morning, and it seemed to work well. Only issue I had was 1-2, 2-3 upshifts. The bike shifted but kind of lunged forward. I wasn't going WOT. Higher gears seem to take it a lot smoother.

I'll tell you why the bike lunged forward in lower gears. A fine point of clutchless or any upshift is that you don't roll the throttle back to the same opening, but to a slightly lesser opening - because you are now in a taller gear. It takes some practice to feel it and roll the throttle back just the right amount to make it smooth. Obviously, the difference between 3rd and 2nd, and especially between 2nd and 1st are the biggest. So, if you were upshifting from 1st and the throttle was opened at 50%, after you closed it for a moment, you have to roll it back to only let's say 30% to maintain the same torque. If you try to roll it back to the same 50% opening, it's the same as if you suddenly added throttle from 30% to 50% opening, but without changing any gears. Of course, the bike responds and you feel it lunges forward. On the other hand, if you shift from 5th to 6th, the difference in gearing is so small that you can pretty much go to the same throttle opening as you had before.

The good thing about misjudging the throttle opening is that it doesn't hurt your tranny. By this time, the upshift has already been completed.

kml, I do recognize that when the throttle is completely closed, clutchless downshift is pretty harmless especially in top gears. And I do it on occasion, and it slips in under such circumstances easily. However, if you consistently do it while on the gas and especially in lower gears, I am puzzled how your tranny is still intact, and on so many bikes? Maybe there is something you are doing that you don't realize? Also, I can't imagine you can downshift under load... Let's say I am accelerating and someone wants to pass me. To get more torque, I want to downshift. Are you saying you just stomp on the shifter and it slips into the lower gear?

Back