Solo cowl mod!!

MisterGDBusa

Registered
Guys, I am sorry if this has been covered before.
If you can post me a link I would appreciate it.
I notice many first gen busas have the mod for quick change from solo cowl to pass seat.
That handle is always attached.
On mine to change it I have to remove that big handle to put the solo cowl.
I looked how it's done on the first gen, it is same method on gen 2?
As my eyes were looking, the bolts that hold that handle will hit the inside on the solo cowl.
It can't be done with just grinding the edges.
Please help.
I want that handle all the time and more easy if I put bike on stands.
Thanks

yes the sides will have to be notched. but put some wet paint on top of the bar bolts and install the cowl and press down. take cowl off and where the paint is on the cowl u can cut a hole for relief of the bolt head. i think i remember doing it that way

yes the sides will have to be notched. but put some wet paint on top of the bar bolts and install the cowl and press down. take cowl off and where the paint is on the cowl u can cut a hole for relief of the bolt head. i think i remember doing it that way

So I can just drill the holes for the 4 bolts and it's will fit in??

Never put the handle on mine. I like the sleek look without the handle sticking out there.
Besides: It ain't a purse!!!

So I can just drill the holes for the 4 bolts and it's will fit in??
I think what he's saying is that you need to cut out part of the cowl so the bolts and handle will show through, by using paint on the bolt heads to indicate on the cowl where the bolts are located. Many do it with a Dremel tool, because it's a delicate operation to cut that plastic because it curves in three dimensions. I think a drill might be too rough of a tool, and may chip the paint. Best to remove a little bit at a time with a Dremel tool and see how it looks, after you mark it.

You have to remove the inner panel from under the hump and notch it out, not as simple as the Gen I, so in reality after you do the mod on a GenII you will not have all four bolts securing the inner panel to the hump unless you make further modifications.

yes the paint shows where u will have to cutout for clearance on the bottom pan of the cowl. also when notching the sides do it a little at a time and keep fitting the cowl back on till it fits. its a easy mod if you take ur time. gen 2 already is done factory

I think what he's saying is that you need to cut out part of the cowl so the bolts and handle will show through, by using paint on the bolt heads to indicate on the cowl where the bolts are located. Many do it with a Dremel tool, because it's a delicate operation to cut that plastic because it curves in three dimensions. I think a drill might be too rough of a tool, and may chip the paint. Best to remove a little bit at a time with a Dremel tool and see how it looks, after you mark it.

Yeah,,dremel for the cowl, and drill for making the holes for the bolts.
Yeas I will mark the bolts with paint and drill inside the cowl.

You have to remove the inner panel from under the hump and notch it out, not as simple as the Gen I, so in reality after you do the mod on a GenII you will not have all four bolts securing the inner panel to the hump unless you make further modifications.

Really?

yes the paint shows where u will have to cutout for clearance on the bottom pan of the cowl. also when notching the sides do it a little at a time and keep fitting the cowl back on till it fits. its a easy mod if you take ur time. gen 2 already is done factory

As soon as I do it, I will post pic.

There is a thread on gen 2. I think its called Gen 2 or II hump mod. I remember getting frustrated trying mine. I ended up cutting the shat out of it and buying a new hump. "I said to hell with it" Not a simple mod imo. If someone can do this mod with ease, I'd love to send you my hump and have you cut it to fit! :)

Hello all first post. Cant belive I get a real chance to help. The biggest problem I had doing mine was getting clearance for it to latch. What I came up with was a couple of small washers between the latch and the hump, it did not take much but done the trick. I also have a strip of weather striping that makes it a bit tighter.

There is a thread on gen 2. I think its called Gen 2 or II hump mod. I remember getting frustrated trying mine. I ended up cutting the shat out of it and buying a new hump. "I said to hell with it" Not a simple mod imo. If someone can do this mod with ease, I'd love to send you my hump and have you cut it to fit! :)

So your suggestion is not to mess with it?

Hello all first post. Cant belive I get a real chance to help. The biggest problem I had doing mine was getting clearance for it to latch. What I came up with was a couple of small washers between the latch and the hump, it did not take much but done the trick. I also have a strip of weather striping that makes it a bit tighter.

Can you post a pic?

I am out of town for work this week. I rode my busa but I had to leave the hump at home so I could pack luggage. Thinking of sneeking home tomorrow night. If I do I would be glad to post pics when I get there. Always looking for a good excuse to take a little 600 mile round trip between shifts.

Back