Spark Plug Change - Did I do something wrong?

HiYaBruceA

Registered
I changed the plugs on my '04 last weekend and I'm concerned that I ignored one of the plug removal instructions that I ran across after the fact this week: "Now disconnect the lead wire from each plug cap/ignition coil and the camshaft position sensor." Instead I just wiggled the 5 inch plug coil free and removed the plug.

There was also this warning: "There are certain points that you should remember when servicing your spark plug
a) Never remove the plug cap/ignition coil before you disconnect all its lead wire couplers"

I don't know what this means and of course I didn't do it. Did I screw the plug change up? If so, what is the remedy? And if any of you have pics of what's being talked about, please reply with them.

yea, as long as you didn't rip any wires out of the connectors you're fine. Did you put a dab of anti-seize on your plug threads? <- that's my only tip. :thumbsup:

The warning is so you do not damage any of the wire connections or the harness...if it runs good...your good to go :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I was very gentle as I lifted and reconnected the coils, and yes I did apply anti-seize to the spark plug threads. But the bike isn't running properly. It bogs down (stumbles) at low rpm's when I wank the throttle. I haven't had a chance to test the problem that got me to change the plugs in the first place: missing at very high rpm's. I need a stretch of freeway for that.

Back