The 08 Busas seem to have 22 more RWHP

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I saw a recent post, I think it was here, that said that the 08 busas have 22 more RWHP than "old generation models." If this is true, what changes did Zuke make to get the addtional HP. Anyone know what the new torque is?

(FAVahalik @ Oct. 05 2007,14:15) I saw a recent post, I think it was here, that said that the 08 busas have 22 more RWHP than "old generation models."  If this is true, what changes did Zuke make to get the addtional HP.  Anyone know what the new torque is?
40 more cc's, dual rail fuel injection and hotter cams.

and if i'm not mistaken?...i believe they also bumped up the compression a tad...and tossed in some Titanium Valves...with some serious angles to accomodate the dual rail FI.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Well, I guess they were bound to do it. Now I have to get rid of my slow 05 and get an 08!

Thanks for the info, by the way.

There was also some port work to increase intake velocity and some combustion chamber rework and a 2mm increase in stroke.

(FAVahalik @ Oct. 05 2007,14:40) Well, I guess they were bound to do it.  Now I have to get rid of my slow 05 and get an 08!

Thanks for the info, by the way.
shid....i'll be stick'in my my lowly '03 O-Ren Ishii....for quite some time yet....and loving and not left wanting...she's got plenty and more than i'll ever need to scare the shid outta myself on public roadways!
laugh.gif

Titanium valves? Doesn't Honda have a problem with them on the CRF250/450s? Once the coating wears off they go south, quick.

i wonder how reliable in the long run this new engine will be since its running 12.5 to one compression and the valves are thinner n lighter ,lighter slipper pistons ,very good for racing but long term no...we wont know for a couple of years till someone gets some high miles on it and also i never buy first year out cuz of all the bugs or bugs to get worked out

i wonder how reliable in the long run this new engine will be since its running 12.5 to one compression and the valves are thinner n lighter ,lighter slipper pistons ,very good for racing but long term no...we wont know for a couple of years till someone gets some high miles on it and also i never buy first year out cuz of all the bugs or bugs to get worked out
X's 2....there's only two 1st year model bikes i ever bought brand new in my life...the 1st was a '89 Honda Goldwing...it was the first year of the 1,520cc opposed 6 cyl...no problems with that one but the 2nd was an '01 Yami FZ1...it was a great bike and while it more than made up for it in other ways?...that was the only bike i've ever owned where the clutch was so dainty that risking even one good smokey burnout could toast your clutch...and i owned that one for 4 years...zero burnouts...that sorta sucked..even though i don't normally burnout?...i do like to toast off the last of my tires rubber...and?...gett'er at least a 'lil heated up for 1/4 mile drag launches....but not with the FZ1's weakazz clutch...you'd fry it.

so me too...and yes...elevated compression almost always ='s quicker wear/lessened life...and as i understand it?...the turbo boys don't want increased compression...sumpt'in about not being able to run as much boost/psi.

I think it's cool that the new busa is upgraded but wouldn't a Gen1 Busa with a well tuned 1,397 kit honk all over it?...also...hotter loping cams tell me that at least some of that extra 22 RWHP was shifted from elsewhere's...cause adding an extra 40cc's damn sure didn't account for much of that...which would leave the GENII '08 Busa with a bit less grunt somewhere's in the mid/low ranges...but so far?..all the test riders seem to love'em...then again?..sometimes it seems they love everything and anything that has advertising dollars behind it.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Geezzzzzz, I still haven't used all he HP mine has
whistling.gif
. What would I do with another 22 hp
drools.gif

laugh.gif

X's 2....there's only two 1st year model bikes i ever bought brand new in my life...the 1st was a '89 Honda Goldwing...it was the first year of the 1,520cc opposed 6 cyl...no problems with that one but the 2nd was an '01 Yami FZ1...it was a great bike and while it more than made up for it in other ways?...that was the only bike i've ever owned where the clutch was so dainty that risking even one good smokey burnout could toast your clutch...and i owned that one for 4 years...zero burnouts...that sorta sucked..even though i don't normally burnout?...i do like to toast off the last of my tires rubber...and?...gett'er at least a 'lil heated up for 1/4 mile drag launches....but not with the FZ1's weakazz clutch...you'd fry it.

so me too...and yes...elevated compression almost always ='s quicker wear/lessened life...and as i understand it?...the turbo boys don't want increased compression...sumpt'in about not being able to run as much boost/psi.

I think it's cool that the new busa is upgraded but wouldn't a Gen1 Busa with a well tuned 1,397 kit honk all over it?...also...hotter loping cams tell me that at least some of that extra 22 RWHP was shifted from elsewhere's...cause adding an extra 40cc's damn sure didn't account for much of that...which would leave the GENII '08 Busa with a bit less grunt somewhere's in the mid/low ranges...but so far?..all the test riders seem to love'em...then again?..sometimes it seems they love everything and anything that has advertising dollars behind it.

L8R, Bill.  
cool.gif
2 mm longer stroke...hp is up 20-25 and the TQ is up 12+ ft lbs

The GRUNT is there
ThumbsUp.gif

Geezzzzzz, I still haven't used all he HP mine has
whistling.gif
. What would I do with another 22 hp
drools.gif
laugh.gif
keeping in mind of course that about 99% of the riders out there couldn't master putting a modern day 6oo through it's "FULL POTENTIAL" paces....maybe on a straight here and there but i haven't heard of any 600cc Motogp folk whinning that their throttle leaves them left wanting through the twisties.....anywhere...maybe just the back straight...and they ain't left wanting there either...personally?...i can't think of a motogp/superbike track in the world where 22 extra rwhp on a busa is gonna knock any huge time off any laps...okay..maybe a 'lil...but not much...ah...maybe you're right..maybe i'm just getting old...but O-Ren is plenty for me...

06FBASH7.jpg

DYNOTOPSPEED.jpg

i know this...she's solid and reliable...while any potential weaknesses on the hotter cammed, higher comp'ed '08 busa are yet to be revealed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Straight off the website-

New Engine
New 1340cc, DOHC liquid-cooled engine with 16-valves, Twin Swirl Combustion Chambers provides 11% higher performance and smoother operation
New Suzuki SDTV fuel injection system with dual injectors per cylinder and ram air intake with large volume airbox
New S-DMS (Suzuki Drive Mode Selector) allows the rider to choose from three different engine settings depending on riding conditions or rider preferences
New lightweight titanium intake and exhaust valves with narrow 14 degree valve angle for high combustion chamber efficiency
New lightweight aluminum alloy pistons feature a revised shape and a higher compression ratio of 12.5:1 for maximum performance in all conditions.
SCEM (Suzuki Composite Electro-chemical Material) plated cylinders minimize cylinder size and improve heat dissipation and new hydraulic cam chain tensioner for reduced mechanical noise
New ventilation holes at the cylinder skirt for reduced pumping losses and increased performance
High efficiency curved radiator now features dual electric fans controlled by the ECM for increased cooling capacity. Oil cooler now has 10 rows cores for increased heat dissipation.
New large volume 4-2-1-2 exhaust system with a large capacity catalyzer, dual triangular canisters and closed loop system that meets Euro 3 and Tier 2 regulations
New Shot-peened chrome-moly steel connecting rods for maximum durability
Ion plating treatment utilizing PVD (physical vapor deposit) method is applied to piston rings providing a smoother surface treatment for increased durability, reduced friction loss and reduced oil consumption
Slick shifting 6 speed transmission working in conjunction with an innovative back torque limiting clutch for smooth and controlled downshifts

The thing that no one seems to be mentioning too much is that it's meaner and greener! All that extra power and (I presume) performance come with genuine Euro 3 emissions compliance at the same time. Now that is a tall order indeed! I am no tree hugger, but if it hauls the mail like I think it will and keeps the EPA Nazi's (and believe me Euro 3 is only the beginning) at bay all in a nicely appointed (more or less) Hayabusa like package I am all for it!
ThumbsUp.gif

The thing that no one seems to be mentioning too much is that it's meaner and greener! All that extra power and (I presume) performance come with genuine Euro 3 emissions compliance at the same time. Now that is a tall order indeed! I am no tree hugger, but if it hauls the mail like I think it will and keeps the EPA Nazi's (and believe me Euro 3 is only the beginning) at bay all in a nicely appointed (more or less) Hayabusa like package I am all for it!  
ThumbsUp.gif
Amen
bowdown.gif

ThumbsUp.gif
Imagine the hp with that monster exhaust off. I want to see some numbers with an aftermarket exhaust
drools.gif

Besides alot of what they are using in the new Busa has been used in the GSXR 1000. They have a higher compression and titanium valves and the dual fuel rail system since 2005. So it isn't something that will have a lot of bugs.

Back